ebay deal | FerrariChat

ebay deal

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Juice It, Jul 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Not sure either what it's worth. Looks kinda thrashed though...........

3. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I'm sure there's someone out there for it (like a face only a mother could love type of thing), but IMO it belongs on the list of the ugliest Ferraris. :)

4. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Probably 27 is a fair enough price I didn't read the whole thing but if it is complete and runs that is fair

5. mikewestrick

mikewestrick Rookie

Apr 21, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
    4 headlamp is unloved, and not very asthetically pleasing. Solid mechanicals are the most important regardless of price. But, as they say, beauty is in the eye..............

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Right order of magnitude, but probably a bit high. Runners sell for high 20's.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That car could be a real money pit.

8. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Looks like a good donor car for a replica.

It has the right mechanicals but its so FUGLY, has that Checker cab front end

9. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Man you guys are mean. I love the look of the four headlight 330GT, so much so that I searched and bought one. The two headlight version looks so tame in comparison to me. I am pleased that it looks unusual and feel, like so many things, strong design creates strong reactions.

All the best,
    Yale

10. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Whatever happened to beauty is INSIDE, that thing has a V12 and its a Ferrari ! may not be the prettiest one but it has all the right parts and the right heritage. From the cockpit as you drive down some mountain road listening to that V12, I bet you can't even see the 4 headlights that makes it one of less pretty Ferraris on the road, all you can see is that you are driving and listening to a Ferrari.

And as far as that money pit comment. I probably make less money than you (which is to say I am a long ways from rich) and I have spent $30,000 (that is 4 1/2 years of savings for me) on a car before knowing I would not get $28,000 of it back, why ? because I enjoyed working on it. I LOVED working on it for almost 2 years, some of us do it for the love of working and playing in the garage and bringing one back to life. Life is not all about financial investments, its about investing in a good life and I am happiest in the garage with greasy hands. I see comments on this board OFTEN about a car being financially a bad decision and I look at them and go...WOW !!! what a great car that I can afford. And when I am done with it, you would be proud to call it your own most of the time.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I read the whole ad. Good to know the natural laws of corrosion have been suspended in California! LOL.

Did Arnold do that????? :)

12. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yale, right on.

I would have bought a either 2 or 4 headlight 330, depending on condition, and I'm glad I ended up with the 4HL. It was always my favorite. It seems that now, 40 years later, this is still a controversial love or hate design.

The details that the 330 SI shares with earlier 2+2 Ferraris and the 4 headlights give it some real pizzazz. The later 2 headlight cars are definitely bland in comparison, especially with alloy wheels instead of Borranis.

My opinions:

4HL 330 in general = Collectable classic, you can't go wrong with a good one.

The current offering on ebay: Prepare to spend 75% to 100% of the purchase price and a lot of your time if you want to turn it into a nice, well reconditioned driver. And that figure applies only if the essential mechanicals need no more than minor work.

If you look at the "less desirable" vintage era Ferraris with a heavy investment-value, nickel and dime bias, you won't be happy. Neither will you be if you go the damn-the-expense route. But, I know I could sell my car for enough to comfortably pay the bills for a year, even if that's not as much $ as I have in it.

I would rather spend my discretionary 50 grand+ on a Ferrari than some of the things others spend similar sums on, such as Everest expeditions, cruises, hunting/fishing, airplanes, boats, and so on.

13. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Yale, Spook: thanks for saying what I've been thinking for a while.

It's very predictable the 4HL gets bashed in every single 'ugly Ferrari' thread, but repetition doesn't make it so. I too prefer the style of the 4HL over the 2HL. My choice.

To the rest of the detractors: Stop calling my girlfriend fat!

14. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    It's such pot luck with these cars. If indeed the engine is rebuilt and done properly, the new owner will have $5-10k in a paint job, and another 5k in an interior redo. Add another 5k for odds and ends and for $47k he'll have an elegant old Ferrari that's comfortable, fast, and suitable for long trips and which doesn't look like something from a TV cop show. Of course if the engine is toasty, he'll spend $15 to 25 more than that.

What else can you buy for under $50 large that has a V-12 (OK, a used BMW 750iL, but you know what I mean)?

He probably did OK on the price.

15. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    so Yale, when you gonna convert that Series I into a b*tchin' GTO??

Bryan "60s Ferrari 2+2s rule" Phillips

16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    To all, the dark blue car pictured in the ad's description is Yale's! I wonder if Yale gets a piece of the action on the sale...

Regards,

Art S.

PS. Assuming the PPI checks out, this looks like a reasonable car.

17. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
  18. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    #18 Tony Fuisz, Jul 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Photochop will do that...just wait

20. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

So true so true!
    I love that shot.

21. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    That picture of Enzo and the dog is a lot more appealing to me than one of the Unspeakable Cruel T and his pet Marmot wanking over a 360 Modena.

Times change.

22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Hey! That's my bland car you're talking about! :)

23. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    #23 ArtS, Jul 14, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Matt,

Just get yourself a set of Borranis, graft on a 4 headlight front clip and you'll be popular again!

Art S. 7919 - With Borranis and roof mounted Christmas tree feature to eliminate blandness!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Great photos, guys.

25. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Art's is awesome!

(Personally, I really like the 4-headlight design.)

--Matt