How do Mondials feel at high speed? | FerrariChat

How do Mondials feel at high speed?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by abarre, Jun 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    I had my Mondial up a little over 100 (on private property, of course) on a smooth road. The tires have 2000 miles on them and they are 18 mos old. The alignment is fresh.

Car feels great up to about 90 and then gets "darty" after that. There is also a noticable vibration in the front. I can't imagine getting it much over 100. Much less the 150MPH supposed top speed.

Is this normal or do I have a problem?

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Check air pressures? You would be supprised what a few PSI can do...

If that is fine, check your bushings in the front end, I would imagine they are worn if never replaced up to this point.

3. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I think it's normal. My Mondial t (cabriolet) is the same way. Twitchy at over 100mph, regardless if I have the top up/down (top up seems to be a bit more twitchy_

4. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I would check the suspension parts and psi - I have had mine up to 110-115 and it was solid - except for the cab top flapping a little :)

5. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Strange. Mine has a stable ride even at top speed.

To me this sounds definitely like a problem.

6. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My 1989 is rock steady well past the 150 mark.

Heck, it cruises @ 100 like it was made for it (oh yes, it WAS made for it).

My car is set low (4 inches ground clearance) and it is rolling on excellent tires (225/45/16 & 245/45/16 Yokohama's). I am sure that contributes to my car's performance.

I think (like the other posters mention) that you should check tire pressures, maybe redo the alignment specs (have them add just a touch of toe in for stability), etc. on your car.

Come to think of it... Did you see the alignment specs after the "fresh alignment?" Double check them. If the front or rear settings are zero toe, or even toe out, that may be your issue. Its not a big deal to change them.

Mondial's (any Ferrari for that matter) should track as straight as a freight train @ speed.

7. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Mine is also very stable at speed, the only comment I will make is that it runs on TRX's and these seem to have a tendency to tramline, so give that pressures etc are all OK what was the condition of the road surface ? Could this have influenced the stability of the car.

8. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Wonder why NO ONE knows how to adjust toe in or other wheel adjustments on this board.

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    my 88 3.2 cruised all day at 120+ very solidly on the German Autobahn. Even at redline in 5th, very stable.
    I would agree that tires play a big part.
    best
    rt

10. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    My QV feels stable at high speed because

a) the tyres are correctly inflated (although they do tram line so road surface plays a part)
    b) the UJ's on the steering column have been replaced as they wear pretty badly
    c) my snooper tells me about radar!!! (so I feel stable!)
    d) most other cars fade into hte distance.....behind!

11. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    no problems up to 170mph (according to speedo), open roof. my tyres: goodyear f1 eagle gsd3 ZR, original dimensions, no mods.

12. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    If you have a vibration it will NOT be alignment.

Check wheel balance and tyres for run out.

All Ferrari's run at 2/3rd max speed without any drama.....all day.