The Ugliest Ferrari Ever Built? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Ugliest Ferrari Ever Built?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dretceterini, Jun 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Im not trying to start a war here, everyone has there take on everything, the Mondial, in that picture actually looks all right because the side vents that I dont care for dont show to well, but from many angles, the car doesnt look right with those side vents, I couldnt give you an exact reason as to why I dont like those vents, it could be placement, shape, etc., they just dont sit well with me....key word......WITH ME!

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Does the real Abbott car still exist?
    It's really not a bad design. It's so improbable. It just needs about 18" of length grafted into the center and then the proportions would be right.

3. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    The best shot most people see is the rear of my Mondial QV, silver bodywork gleaming, four pipes playing that V8 trumpet and disappearing into the distance.....great! Who cares that it only cost a fraction of most of the newer cars, IT IS STILL A TRUE FERRARI!

4. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    Well, I disagree that the mondial is the "no respect" car of Ferrari. I know I've always held my head up high when I drive mine (but maybe thats just because there are no other 20 year olds driving around in a Ferrari they bought).
    I went to look at the Ferrari's at the FCA meet in Indy last Friday, and there were dozens of 308's and such, but only one mondial. People were walking right past the more common Ferrari's, but lots of people were around the mondial. I kinda like that its a true ferrari, but one that most people dont think of when they think of Ferrari. The mondial was the only Fcar I even considered when I was ready to buy a year ago (even though I had a choice of several).
    Its all about your own personal tast though. I really dont care for the gt4, but I know there are several people who will argue they are the only Fcar to own.

5. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I first saw a mondial cabriolet in Weird Science and driven by a blind Al Pacino in Scent of a woman.

I always wanted one. I think they capture your (undivided) attention on the street just like any other ferrari.

It's only when you put them next to other F-car models at a gathering of many that my interest wanes. The only quirk is that I think it appears a tad too long behind the windshield.

But that said, Make mine a 3.2 in Black.

Robb Williamson

6. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I dig where your coming from... No problem. However:

The "Mondial t" does NOT have the "trapezoid" side vents you mention (hence the reason why you seem to like it). The "Mondial t" changed the side vents to a more "common" shape.

I have had Ferrari guys tell me - "that Mondial t is no Mondial!"

I happen to like all Mondials though. So go ahead & talk about real ugly cars. Just not Mondials.

7. sjtom

sjtom Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Tom

8. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    looks like my p1800 Volvo lol

9. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    I think the P1800, with a different grille, could've been a Ferrari and nobody would've complained.

I think the ugliest Ferrari is the Drogo pictured above, but the ugliest Pininfarina-designed Ferrari is, sadly, the Enzo. I just cant understand why anyone would style a car after a modern F1 car, which IMO are the ugliest vehicles ever concieved. Im sure everyone has seen the new Williams car? Now, the Ferrari F2004 is not that bad, but really, its a direct ancestor to the car that inspired the Enzo, and is downright unatractive, I can appreciate the engineering that went into producing that shape, and I know that someone at Pinin had to have approved the Enzo, but i I dont think that shape warrants a badge wearing the name of the founder of this car company.
    Really, I think I couldve done better than whats-his-face.

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

The Mondial is not good-looking. It is very good-looking and handsome.
    (At times, I still toy with the idea of owning a red 3.2 or T Coupe).

11. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
  12. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    The Enzo. That front end makes me want to stick screwdrivers in my eyes.

13. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    This picture courtesy of The Ferrari Market Letter's unsorted archives; our archivist just gave it to me after i'd told her about this thread last week... This has to be worth SOMEthing of merit in this thread...

14. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

What in god's name is that evil, evil thing?

15. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I'm pretty sure that pic was in Forza a while back. IIRC the car belonged to Chuck Somebodyoranother who worked for GM. A few of his coworkers thought it would be funny to give his Daytona the Superfly treatment.

16. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I remember reading a story about a Detroit exec (maybe Bob Lutz?) who had a Daytona that the design guys got ahold of while he was away and did this. I recognize the picture from the article I read but just cannot remember which exec it was.

Cheers
    Kevin

17. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I forgot the model name on this one

Fill in the blank__________________________________

18. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino

His name is Chuck Jordan and he was the head of design at GM. I have an old article about him and his son, who, at the time, was the design guy at Mazda. Both are Ferrari nuts and own several.

19. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Armen, sadly, it's not... i lament to realize that some people actually DON'T like the NNO...

...it's okay, though, not EVERYONE has to appreciate perfection. :D

20. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ok, we did the ugliest Ferrari thing and Drogo received overwhelming recognition... But let's forget about rebodies and keep it narrowed down to 'production' cars only...

i go for the 365 GT 2+2... i polled the office here and the only two answers i've received so far as the 512 Boxer and the 365 California...

What do you think...? Forget about Drogo's perverse obsession with squares and circles, forget about Bertone's angle fetish and forget about Vignale's shooting brake orgy... What do you think is the ugliest PRODUCTION Ferrari...?

21. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    There are NO ugly Ferrari's, just Fat Women that roam the earth, food with carbs and the IRS.

22. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    This thing...

23. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Awww Tillman, that was just cold.

I can't imagine how anyone could think the 512BBi is ugly, I think it's one of the most timeless designs ever.

If I had to pick, it would probably be a 365 GTC/4. I don't really think it's 'ugly' as much as I don't think it's beautiful.

24. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    2 way tie . Enzo and 308GT4 with the 456 in second place

25. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Actually, I really don't like that car. I wasn't even trying to be a smartass. I usually have avatars turned off, so I didn't realize until now that it was the same pic. Still ugly....

I agree, especially in white. It looks too much like a similar-era Corvette