83 Mondial Hardtop - questions | FerrariChat

83 Mondial Hardtop - questions

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by sgtpeper, Jun 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    HI all
    I agreed to sell my friends car for him since he does not have the time. Im trying to guess what the car is worth tho. Its an 83 Mondial quattrovalve (I think thats what they call them?) Its a hardtop with sunroof. Cars has 30k miles. Body is in pretty good shape - one small bubble of rust by the gas door, and a nick near the bumper. Interior is decent - leather is in good shape - but could use oil, The center console where all the controls are is not in perfect shape. The numbers and things are worn away mostly and the stereo is not grounded well. Also the tilt wheel is broken on one side so the wheel has movement in it. Oh its silver with black leather. Anyone have any idea what I should ask for this?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    When was the last major service done? if over 2 years I'd say 20K if recent with receipts mabey 23 -26K

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    So, it's an off-color, non-convertible four-seater with rust and significant wear on the interior. 15,000 (selling price) if you want to get rid of it. 20,000 if you want to spend a year or more trying to sell it and you detail it and fix the interior.

Think I'm kidding?

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/6/5/73505865.htm

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/9/8/70097398.htm

http://www.ferrariads.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=741&query=retrieval

The point isn't that these are exactly the same, but rather that there's a lot of competition in that market, and that these are asking prices.

Good luck

4. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    You are probably right, he'd do better to part it out

5. bartcd

bartcd Rookie

Jun 4, 2004
    Nashville & Malibu
    Full Name:
    Bart Durham
    I had an 81 Mondial. The electrical system was unfixable. It caused too many problems and the best day of my life was when I sold the car for $10,000. (red,red interior, 50,000 miles, new tires, cassette radio)

6. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    red/red, did you use a gun to rob the guy for 10K ?

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The three ads that were listed were for the earlier injected 2-valve car. I just bought one and the only issues on it were worn interior and a bad regulator in the passenger window. I paid less than the lowest asking price in the three ads and the car we bought was red/tan with a sunroof.

There is a small market for these cars, but with the issues given, the car is worth probably $16k on the low end and $23k on the high end depending on when the belts were done and how good the clutch is.

That said, they are very fun cars. Might not be as sporty as a 308, but much more comfortable for people that don't have anything to prove to anyone else...

8. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The belts were changed within 3k miles and the clutch I believe was changed at about the same time - however it may be original - but is in good shape.

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The yellow one is an 83. The point was that there's many similar cars out there, and if the friend really wants to sell it quickly he needs to price it low. You and I both know Fcar buyers are a finicky bunch and will take any flaw as an opportunity to beat the seller down. That's why I'm planning on never selling mine :)

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    That answers part of the question, how long ago was it changed?

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    You're right, my bad. Its still incorrect for the painted bumper. Yes, we are a finicky bunch. I don't plan on selling any of my Ferraris. I just plan to keep accumulating them...

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Hey Bart, welcome to Ferrarichat. It wasn't the car, it was your mechanic. I know the details, you need to use my guy to work on your cars!

13. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Ah hes only had the car around 4 years - hes the second owner - so all that was probably done about a year and a half ago Id assume.
    Thanks
    Jeff

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Anything over about $20k would be fair. Ask a little more and see what the market says its worth.

15. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    When selling it if you can't provide receipts for the work the buyer will assume it was not done and will deduct the cost of a timing belt job from the purchase price

16. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Have any photos? Decide on a price? Where is the car? Sunroof?

17. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I always find it curious when I see people saying they are selling a car for a friend who has no time? Not trying to pick on this particular post because I see it often, do others find this odd?

18. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes