FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX...2021...RACE...... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | Page 17 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX...2021...RACE...... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jun 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    This may need to become its own thread, and I apologize if it was already covered here, but given Botas’ performance today and Russel at one point threatening to pass Botas, does Mercedes have to make the driver switch now? Especially given Perez’s ability to gel with the Red Bull team, and the larger gap in constructors points?

SimCity3 likes this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    It was'nt Toto hammering his fist in disappointment.....but it came close seeing the restart and Lewis going straight into T1.

kes7u, absostone and nsxrebel like this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I would wait till mid-season. Redbull will wait mid-season on Perez's contract renewal so I suspect Mercedes will do the same.

4. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Kind of agree with you. Much as I prefer politically incorrect behaviour (ie Kimi refusing to speak during the “We race as one” eye-roller), besmirching the ONLY tire supplier seems counterproductive when you might need their assistance during an attempt to capture your first WDC. Can’t imagine Le Lightning saying something negative under similar circumstances, he’s a little too savvy to let an outburst ruin his chances.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  5. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Lance gets the better strategy and the latest updates on his car and it's not just here at Baku. Seb not so much...so Seb does his best with what's given to him.

Lance is the son of the owner of Aston Martin F1.....so it's sort of expected.

RobertJRB likes this.
  6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Summer the contracts will be decided for LH and Bottas and most likely others as the press keeps saying. Bottas was hardly the problem today. HIs package was different than LH all weekend and he had no advantage in pace ever, and was used to tow LH as the agreement in the team was LH had choice of when to go out for qualy.

Russell will face the same things. HIs one race is not at all a certain performance with Mercedes. Given his accident cost 1.5mil$ with Bottas he needs another year at Williams LOL. LH will have much to say about this team mate. If LH signs a 2 year deal then Bottas stays for 1 and then George moves up for the last year with LH to gain experience in the team and with the new cars. Given how little Mercedes are in terms of consistency with this new car for just this year, George wont be solving very technical issues with the set up this car is showing them. They do not , Mercedes, seem to understand it well yet.

The RedBull is well sorted. 2 or 3 more bad weekends, no matter which RedBull driver wins and Mercedes will be very on the back-foot and almost out of the title hunt. They seem weaker not stronger.

nsxrebel, william and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  7. DF1

Let Pirelli investigate is Max' concern. Not be in the press. For all his talk of my driving does the talking, he opens his mouth anyway about things HE CANNOT CONTROL LOL. Shut up, drive and win. Thats the job. Let his so called Management look silly.

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Michelin had many failures? Apart from Indy one year, I don't recall others. Bridgestone was OK.

It's Bernie who wanted to make the races more exciting and asked for tyres with high degradation, to keep compulsory pit stops.

Pirelli had some spectacular series of failure at some tracks, like Silverstone. It's easy to blame carbon fiber debris to pass the buck...

9. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Yep the Pirelli tyres have proved to be far too fragile on too many occasions.

Bas, ypsilon and william like this.
  10. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Amazing photos! What a strong machine the Can is. Confidence inspiring.

stavura, Bas, 375+ and 5 others like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You have to consider their respective contracts. Breaking Bottas' contract could cost Mercedes a lot.

Also, there is no certainly that Williams would accept the swap.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think it would be best if the media didn't entice people to say something in the heat of the moment.

They love to do that, and obtain emotional outbursts in time of stress, which they take great delight to print or broadcast.

The relation between Sport and media, it's another thorny subject for me !

DF1 likes this.
  13. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Hilarious that the "greatest driver of all time" turns into Vettel-in-a-Ferrari the minute he doesn't have a dominant car. The team really should have berated him on the radio.

stavura, furoni, nsxrebel and 4 others like this.
  14. DF1

Pirelli Formula 1 boss Mario Isola believes that the left rear tyre failures experienced by Max Verstappen and Lance Stroll in the Azerbaijan GP could have been caused by debris.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/pirelli-believes-baku-tyre-blowouts-caused-by-debris/6541845/

Stroll and Verstappen both suffered huge accidents on the straight after experiencing what appeared to be similar failures while running Pirelli's C3 tyre, which was the hard compound in Baku.

Isola said a cut found on the left rear that came off Lewis Hamilton's car after the red flag indicated that a similar issue may have affected the other drivers, but in the world champion's case it had not compromised the construction.

Isola said that sudden deflations can often point to punctures caused by debris, as a structural failure would give more advanced warning.

However, Isola stressed that Pirelli hasn't ruled out anything yet, and that an investigation is already under way.

"Obviously we need to make an investigation, that is clear," Isola told Autosport. "What I have collected so far are just preliminary indications. It was sudden deflation both for Lance and for Max, without any warning.

"It was on the rear left tyre, that is not the most stressed here, because it's the rear right. And the other point if we talk about wear, the most worn tyre is the front right. So it is not a matter of wear.

"Another element that is important is that we found on the rear left tyre of Lewis Hamilton, another cut, quite a big one. This was at the red flag, so in the same stint where Max crashed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes W12

Photo by: Zak Mauger / Motorsport Images

"The cars came, they dismounted the tyres to fit a new set, we checked the used tyres, and we found a cut on the rear left.

"Luckily, this cut was not cutting the construction. And that's why he didn't lose pressure. So we have evidence of another tyre with a cut.

"The other tyres that have been used during the same thing for 30, 32, 33 laps are not showing any evidence of a potential problem. This is what I know at the moment.

"The other step is that obviously we are air freighting the tyres to Milan tomorrow to analyse them as soon as possible. And find the real motivation that can be debris, or can be anything else."

Isola said he understood why Verstappen, Stroll and other drivers had expressed obvious concerns about the failures.

"It is almost impossible to design a tyre that is able to resist to any type of debris, if it is debris. If it is not debris, we have to consider our counter actions.

"But I fully understand that drivers crashing at that speed are worried, that is clear. I'm worried aware as well.

15. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Is this the first race you've watched this year? The Merc has not been dominant and Lewis has more wins than Max.

ricksb, william and fer312t like this.
  16. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Oh please . . .

william and fer312t like this.
  17. DF1

Lance impact was more powerful yes?? FIA does get the standards strong.

18. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    That's indeed pretty much the case, Lewis (Mercedes) was (were) pretty untouchable these past 7 years.

The majority of those races Mercedes just went off into the distance. Up front, in free air nothing could touch them.

This year however things are looking a bit different.

nsxrebel and crinoid like this.
  19. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Elton Hamdashian has never been naturally more mentally strong then Sebastian Vettel. He has simply had the best emotional support. That’s where Ferrari failed Sebastian and themselves.

Jakuzzi, stavura, furoni and 3 others like this.
  20. DF1

True possibly but Seb carries own baggage of over emotional reaction blocking a better action in many cases. It is not all Ferrari.

crinoid likes this.
  21. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I know some of you are excited that Hamilton is not leading the championship. But don't embarrass yourselves by making comments like this.

Nuvolari and william like this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Seb seems really impacted by his spirits as a driver. I thought he was done. His last 2 races Some talent is still there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The talent is still there, but I have doubts about his motivation.

24. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians

No matter what is said, it’ll never ever get as embarrassing as this...;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

kes7u, stavura, furoni and 6 others like this.