Hamilton deserves more respect | Page 29 | FerrariChat

Hamilton deserves more respect

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I see Bottas’ invite got lost in the mail.

stavura, furoni, Bas and 4 others like this.
  2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

Lol
    The photographer said he saw Russell in the tender..:D

Bas and ingegnere like this.
  3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    When you are leading, you want to drive as SLOWLY as possible and finish the race while still leading. This does not appear to fans as "special" as it is not special, but it does preserve tires in case someone does meander up to give a challenge.

ricksb and william like this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No, biggest news off all is there appears to be an insane man wearing a wooly ****ing jumper on a yacht

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He was allowed to drop them off at the port.

ingegnere likes this.
  6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    But he's got Verstappen right behind him so not sure how that works for the current season.

7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    honestly, we hear the common refrain in the 2000’s “how boring these races are”. I think in the era of advanced aero, there aren’t very many “special” drives that I can recall from anyone. I can only remember Vettel crashing into Webber, Maldonado ruining Alonso’s WDC chances, Hamilton/Rosberg clashes, and Seb ramming Hamilton after a ‘brake check’. Ham on 3 wheels for the win last year was impressive, actually.

ktu likes this.
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Or, as Walter Sobchak (= John Goodman) in "The Big Lebowski" would have said:

"Life does not start and stop at your convenience, you miserable piece of sh.t!"

(The profanity is not mine, it is a quote)

Rgds

jpalmito and 375+ like this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    "STFU Donnie!";)

(The profanity is not mine, it is a quote)

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    "So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know..."

Rgds

375+ likes this.
  11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    That was a big lap at the end of the British GP last year indeed !

12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Looks like Toto is jumping on the Hamilton bandwagon regarding making the grass roots of F1 more "affordable."

Good luck trying to solve this huge financial challenge.

"I think we need to give access to kids that are interested in go-karting, the opportunity to race for much more affordable budgets." Toto Wolff agreed with Lewis Hamilton's calls that grass-roots racing on the path to F1 should be more affordable:

Wolff says racing must be more affordable after Hamilton ‘billionaire boys’ comment

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hamilton was raised on a council estate in Stevenage, with his father holding down multiple jobs to fund his early karting career that helped pave the way for his success in F1.

The seven-time F1 world champion said in an interview with Spanish publication AS that F1 “has become a billionaire boys’ club”, adding: “If I were to start over from a working-class family, it would be impossible for me to be here today because the other boys would have a lot more money.

“We have to work to change that and make this an accessible sport, for the rich and for people with more humble origins.”

Three drivers on the F1 grid - Lance Stroll, Nicholas Latifi and Nikita Mazepin - are the sons of billionaires, while the majority of active racers have required support from manufacturers or sponsors to make it to the top level due to the costs involved.

Mercedes F1 chief Wolff said that while every driver had their own story, he agreed with Hamilton that more had to be done to reduce costs in grassroots racing.

“What makes the sport so attractive is that it provides narrative for good soap [opera] outside of the racing too,” Wolff said.

“Drivers have always come from different backgrounds, and I think there is not always, everyone has his story, and things to cope.

“I doubt that kids from a more privileged background have it easy all the time. They are fighting their own demons.

“What I think we can do is make sure that grassroots racing becomes more affordable, so kids that haven’t got any financial background can actually be successful in the junior formulas.

“All the big Formula 1 teams [need to be] able to identify those kids, rather than making it so expensive that a good go-karting season costs 250,000, an F4 season 500,000, and an F3 season 1 million.

“That is totally absurd, [and] needs to stop, because we want to have access. I think we need to give access to kids that are interested in go-karting, the opportunity to race for much more affordable budgets.”

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/wolff-says-racing-must-be-more-affordable-after-hamilton-billionaire-boys-comment/6518394/

ingegnere likes this.
  13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Back when Hesketh broke into F1, you only needed a hundred million or so, and the cost of a loaf of bread was under $0.30

So, I see no fundamental change in the wealth aspect needed to enter F1 {Gene Haas not included}

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Hugely hypocritical from Toto. All teams need to recognize poor, fast kids. Very few poor kids in karting. Most come from some sort of money to be able to afford karting on a national level at a young age already. Many teams run a young driver program. But the biggest thing, when you have hypocrites like Toto saying that these kids should be given an F1 chance, the poorer teams especially can't do this, purely because of the cost of F1 involved. What is a team with a budget problem to do? Pay a kid with potential some form of salary, or accept a kid with huge financial backing and buckets of sponsorship for a season? It's the latter, every single time. Money pays the bills. And the bills are huge...and with top teams telling smaller teams (who get their engine from..) how to vote for ever more expensive ''solutions'' to racing, well...

Lets see what 2022 and the next few years brings in terms of money saved and whatnot.

Should junior racing be cheaper? Of course. Karting and F2 are the biggest culprit. F3 getting quite a bit more expensive as well IIRC...

15. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I dunno, if Lewis is worried about these items, what’s he doing to change them?

stavura, JJ, jpalmito and 1 other person like this.
  16. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    It's in F1's self-interest to keep it accessible for the most talented drivers, regardless of wealth. Fact is that when there are only Mazepins, Latifis and Strolls making up the field, it will look more as a hobby series for the billionaire kids.

gh0st0 likes this.
  17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/28/i-need-that-point-weve-lost-a-ton-hamilton-team-radio-transcript-analysis/

Full transcript of Hamilton's conversation during the GP.

Remember when he accused the team that he was ''saving tyres''? (As he has done plenty of times when he feels he lost time/places due to a strategy call...instantly on the radio accusing his team of f'in it all up for him, airing his dirty laundry for everyone to hear).

Well that's funny...because no such messages went out from him. The moment the team pitted him, and this was made clear a few laps before with the ''it's all about to happen Lewis'' call, at no time did Lewis mention he had great tyres and could do anything necessary. He himself steered the car into the pitlane with no alternatives or raised any questions. Just blindly steered into the pit and a lap after that, after the undercut failed to materialize...blamed the team publicly.

These drivers aren't stupid. He knows full well many of the messages, especially controversial ones like above, get aired for everyone to hear. He is making these calls to make sure his legion of fans will immediately blame the team for this apparent strategy error.

It's not the first time he has blamed his team for very similar stuff, and unlikely to be the last.

Lewis is more worried about how he is perceived by his fans than anything else, it seems. And people wonder why they **** on him so much.

stavura, gh0st0, Nortonious and 3 others like this.
  18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    CAUSE HE'S ******?

gh0st0 and Nortonious like this.
  19. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Lewis speaks to a generation of social media enthusiasts. This same generation not concerned with a background work to educate itself but only attracted by appearances. It is so predictable that it becomes ridiculous!

kes7u, Bas and Nortonious like this.
  20. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    You're really dedicated to and put lots of work into hating Lewis, I will give you that. :D

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    100%

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I just see through his facade, is all.

JJ likes this.
  23. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    You see what you're looking for :cool:

Anyway, there are some refreshingly thoughtful even-keel people in that comment section actually - I was expecting troll central. Thanks for the link.:p

Boomhauer, ktu and william like this.
  24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Whatever works for you, really.

25. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yep, it's hard to understand the persistant rage for some in debasing a driver, mostly when he is, in fact, the most successful of his era.

I don't know many sports where that happens.

fer312t, Terra, ricksb and 2 others like this.