Hamilton deserves more respect | Page 26 | FerrariChat

Hamilton deserves more respect

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree
    Tense atmosphere in the Mercedes team this past weekend.
    Perhaps something is happening behind the doors ?

SimCity3 and Bas like this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Like who ?

3. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    It would not surprise me if Mercedes decided to tighten the screws on LH contract negotiations to make clear they will not budge. Last year's one-year deal seemed more of a 'agree-to-disagree' way of starting the season. I don't see a Russell + Hamilton line-up working out, so putting Russell in could mean Hamilton out...

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think for Hamilton the delay in renewing his contract was due to uncertainty at Mercedes.
    Hamilton only wanted to sign if Toto was in kept charge.
    At the time there were various rumours that Mercedes could sell, that INEOS could take over, or that Toto may jump ship.
    All that following the budget cap and mostly the appointment of the new Mercedes CEO who isn't a F1 fan.
    Now the situation is clarified, some stability expected and Hamilton can receive some guarantee for the next few years.
    Hamilton has only 2 years left after this season, probably, and will be succeeded by George Russell.

ricksb and ktu like this.
  5. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think it was there for all to see. It wasn’t a Merc circuit, so they tried to do some different things to get pole and it didn’t work. Them the race day was a complete disaster by their standards. This will be a nip-and-tuck battle all season but they had a big meltdown this weekend. They will need Red Bull to do the same and they can’t depend on that.

not only did they lose the WDC/WCC lead this past weekend, they are going to a circuit that they don’t expect to win, potentially falling further behind. That would create a very tense atmosphere, imo.

william and DF1 like this.
  6. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

When the garage gets tense Hamilton has previous form for getting difficult.

"The problems had started before," a source says. "This was just the final volcanic eruption. But Lewis started it. Let's not forget that. If he had let Fernando past, there would not have been an explosion."

Hamilton's father Anthony went to see the stewards and lobbied hard for Alonso to be punished. The stewards called up the two drivers and asked them what had happened. They took everything into account, and gave Alonso a five-place grid penalty.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46226823

jpalmito likes this.
  7. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I would love watching Russell make Lewis lose his hair implants..:D

Giallo 550, JJ, stever and 1 other person like this.
  8. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    It sounds like the issue for Merc on slow circuits is an inability to heat up the tires properly/poor grip. They made some adjustments to try to heat them up more effectively and it ended up in creating a lot of oversteer. I do think Bottas has shown an ability to handle a sliding car a little better than Lewis over their time together (must be that rally driving in Finland). He did not have the same set up as Hamilton. Regardless, I agree that it's the TEAM (i.e. Driver + crew) that were unable to minimize damage this weekend. It sounds like Hamilton's message has changed to reflect that upon further reflection. He's a competitive guy, so he's going to spout off when things go wrongly, but at least he's able to walk it back once he settles down.

9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/31498793/flawless-verstappen-dominant-mercedes-ferrari-drop-ball-monaco-gp
    So what went wrong?

The quick answer is tyres. But as is so often the case in Formula One, it's not that simple.

In qualifying, Hamilton was struggling to get enough temperature in his front tyres to induce the necessary chemical reaction in the rubber that would allow him to access the true potential of his Mercedes car.

Teammate Valtteri Bottas -- using a very similar setup -- more or less managed it, but Hamilton only really got close when he was on his final flying lap, just as the red flags came out for Leclerc's accident and he had to back off.

He had suggested a way of getting more heat into the tyres to his team after Thursday practice, but his engineers had been reluctant to follow his advice.

In the world of engineering, nothing comes for free and there was a danger that the extra performance in qualifying would have significantly worsened his performance in the race.

Perhaps that would have been the way to go given the end result, but the whole reason Hamilton's race strategy didn't work on Sunday was because his tyres were experiencing more wear than those of his rivals, forcing him to pit earlier and costing him performance.

Once he had pitted, he then couldn't get the necessary temperature in his new tyres to find the performance difference he needed to pass Gasly.

And once behind Gasly, the pace was so slow he was unable to fend off the superior strategies of Vettel and Perez.

He was vocal over the car-to-pit radio, but both he and the team know the problem was not the strategy itself, but the overall performance of the car in Monaco.

Natkingcolebasket69 and ricksb like this.
  10. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    Maybe the devil is trying to collect on the soul deal

ingegnere likes this.
  11. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    That’s a good retelling of Hamilton’s contract situation but do you think Russell will be ok parked at Williams for 2 more years?

12. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    #637 jpalmito, May 26, 2021
    Last edited: May 26, 2021
    The answer :
    Russell is ready for the Bottas seat.
    No way he would accept to wait two more years.
    I suspect that Mercedes executives are getting fed up with Lewis' behavior towards the team. By recruiting Russell against Lewis own will they would decide thereby to hand over the church in the middle of the village.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  13. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Quite frankly, Russell will accept anything Mercedes asks him to do, which is why he is still at Williams currently. Which is why he will drive for Mercedes at a fraction of the salary of the current line-up. And I'm pretty sure Lewis' behaviour plays no part if any, but him wanting full 7 times WDC price for his salary is a much more contestable point in a budget capped sport. It's a business decision plain and simple, if the team thinks they can get a reasonable performance and save 70 million over two years, it becomes an easy decision ;)

jpalmito likes this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I was under the impression that drivers' salaries were not part of the budget cap.

Terra and furoni like this.
  15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Bang on, Kimi was also amazing, in his mClaren days he think he was the fastest driver around, confartably faster than elton ever was..

375+ likes this.
  16. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Kimi would have been a great team mate with Hamilton at McLaren.

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Kimi at his peak was the fastest driver in F1.

18. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    I don't think they are, but the budget cap requires restructuring and re-evaluating of the entire F1 team. Does not really make sense splurging on salaries when trade-offs are made what can and cannot be tested/engineered. But that is merely speculating of course :)

19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Kimi at his peak stole races from faster cars. Spa, for example, in his WDC year.

JJ and classic308 like this.
  20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    KERS made the difference at Spa to Fisi's great chagrin.

jpalmito likes this.
  21. DF1

Someone at their 'peak' is always the fastest driver lol :)

Terra likes this.
  22. DF1

George could stay 3 more years at his age and it really would not affect him.

I think Mercedes will be clever on this - 1 more year at Williams for George
    - Renew Bottas for 1 more year and see how the new cars go with the current Mercedes pair

George gets another year down the field in the new cars to adjust and then in last year of LH contract he moves to Mercedes. He can then learn and challenge LH there and grow into the team.

There is nothing to lose at all with this. Given how poorly he handled the result of his collision with Bottas he needs some time still before moving into Mercedes. I feel some maturing is left for him yet. Norris is far more savvy young driver.

Terra likes this.
  23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Another year for Norris is a waste of time and talent, he's more than ready, just like Charles was after one year...

jpalmito likes this.
  24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Like Latifi for instance?;)

DF1 likes this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think it would, mentally.