Looking for a good driving school for my 21 year old as a gift | FerrariChat

Looking for a good driving school for my 21 year old as a gift

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by CoreyNJ, May 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    He wants to learn to drive manual transmission better. He took lessons from a local driving school but really isn't comfortable. He can drive his friend's Honda when needed, but stalls my GT3 about 1 out of every 5 times he takes off from 1st. So a racing school that only uses open wheel cars would not be the best for him since he wants to apply that knowledge to his street driving.

He also wants to learn to drive properly/fast on the track, so a multi-day racing course is ok that I can attend with him.

We are located in NJ, so something drivable is great (i.e. CT, NY, PA, NJ) but not critical. Obviously if Covid wasn't an issue, I would entertain places outside the US and turn it into a full family vacation, but I don't think Canada, UK or Germany is an option fo this year.

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

2. griffith500

griffith500 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I can highly recommend the NJ chapter of PCA for either a Car Control Clinic or our Driver's Education program. Below is a link that provides more information and I can assure you, it's a very robust and professional program. I am involved for 15+ years and happy to speak to you in person, just ping me.

https://nnjr-pca.com/driver-ed

3. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Do you use your own car or does the drivers-ed supply them? I was hoping his 1st track event was in a car other than my own.

Thank,
    Cheers,
    Corey

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. griffith500

griffith500 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Most clubs have you use your own car.

I would make sure he masters clutch and shifting on the street in a relaxed setting. Then take it to the track - the GT3 is a fabulous machine and the instructor in the car will keep him safe in the beginners group.

5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I think the only way to really learn how to drive stick is to drive it daily for awhile. Buy him a beater E46 BMW to use for a year.

eurocarguy101 and innerloop like this.
  6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'd recommend Atlanta Motorsports Park we have some young driver education items, but may not be exactly what you are looking for.

From my own perspective, he needs seat time and practices... not even sure if you can rent a stick anymore. Learning to race with a three-pedal car .. is far harder if you don't do it well on the street. You need a solid clutch / gas muscle memory before you go on the track. if you apply racing techniques to the street... I would predict high clutch wear - and lots of "incidents"

7. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    I agree. There is so much else going on for a beginner on track that throwing in learning a manual could be overwhelming. Plus, I am a big advocate for heel/toe downshifts even in a street car. Not so much to smooth out gear engagement, but to minimize upsetting the rear end when you let out the clutch. I don't like the rear end moving around just before turn-in.

HSE moment: if you have to modify the pedals of a car to allow heel/toe, always modify the throttle, never the brake. Having an improperly modified throttle pedal fail is a nuisance, having the brake pedal fail is much more serious.

Dogdish likes this.
  8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yes. If he's not proficient in a manual transmission - I would say he needs to drive for 3-6 months practicing smooth clutch engagement... make it second nature. when I was racing Formula Renault in 1990, I had a throttle pedal that had a tab on the left of it for heel/toe ... which was helpful. until then I was always having to twist my ankle to get enough pressure on the brakes...never thinking about having the throttle modified. I also learned that you can take a balsa wood wedge and screw it into the throttle pedal to make it thicker to get full throttle faster, without having to twist your heel on the throttle that helped a lot as you go for harder braking ... you just slide your heel up vs. a jab.

meanwhile get him into Karting so he can get used to track conditions.

9. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I agree with all regarding driving a manual transmission on the track. Regarding schools, Mid-Ohio has a race school. You can either use their car or bring your own. My 17 year old will be doing it this summer. He had done the teen high performance school there last year.

Thecadster likes this.