Ferrari Wheels Made of Butter? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Wheels Made of Butter?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by msgm1, Feb 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    No not the LIE. It happened in mt kisco. I as Just running an errand and didnt feel anything severe in terms of pothole. Rim not bent this time.

2. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yes just under 3k

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Good stuff. Did you run the slightly lower pressure of 32-32 psi cold?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yes this happened the same day I lowered the pressure

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Damn. Just saw the pics after I posted. My phone had problems downloading them. That's frustrating stuff.

Looks like you need 19" for a 245/45 style tyre. But at least it looks like the larger tyre saved the wheel this time. Maybe stepping up to the 245/40R20 and 315/35R20 will be the last part of the puzzle.

Man, I just can't get over how bad those roads must be. Just insane.

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ah good point- hadn’t thought of that. With higher pressure i wld have likely bent the rim. I owe you a thank you.

Like i said what was weird about this one is i didn’t hit any pothole that made me cringe. Just normal bumpy road driving that day.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Am i the only one who gets higher tire readings from a mechanical monitor vs the tpms computer? Car reads 35 psi while mechanical reads 39.

8. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
    I had the impression that my TPMS readings were on the high side, so yesterday when I was at my local Fiat dealer in order to swap my battery for a LiFePO4 one I had the readings checked. The mechanic used three different mechanical devices which are used to inflate the tyres and they had a margin of 0,1 bar between each other (one meter was 0,1 bar lower than the other two). TPMS readings with cold tyres where 0,2 bar higher than the two who read similar and this was exactly in accordance with my feeling. TPMS readings in my FF are too high, 0,2 bar.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Lol nothing is consistent outside of the wheels bending

Napoli likes this.
  10. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I only use the TPMS as a relative reference to my mechanical one. There are way to many variables that might impact. For example my right front tire TPMS reads 2.5 at normal driving in town, however if I stop my mechanical one gives a more 2.2 - just like the other 3 TPMS sensors... This used to bug me crazy when the car was new.... "Why did right front get so high temps?" and the answer seems to be "because of the TPMS sensor does not like my front right...". This is for my summer tires, winter has no problems like this.

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    On the Lusso the TPMS always reads higher than my gauge. This is because the car needs to drive a bit so there's a little heat in the tyres once the TPMS comes on. I think you need to find another quality gauge to try. I've never seen what you describe where the gauge reads higher.

See if you can get your hands on a quality gauge by either borrowing or buying one.

Then use the new gauge to set cold pressure to 33 psi. Like Bamsefar said, the TPMS should not be used for anything else than monitoring. The initial lressure has to be set with a good gauge. Analogue or digital, does nkt matter as long as it is on point.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Tires are cold. Mechanical reads 33 and the tpms reading 30. Im all set. Fingers crossed!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Indeed, TPMS is mainly designed to monitor for sudden pressure loss during driving while giving you a ballpark figure of the psi. I'd never rely solely on the TPMS to provide an accurate psi.

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Did you check with a different gauge to verify your gauge? It just sounds so odd to me that the tpms reads lower than a gauge. Not saying it cannot happen, but I've never seen that on a modern Ferrari with TPMS.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i will order another gauge. the tpms and the mechanical should read the same? my tpms are currently reading 31 in the front and 34 in the back

16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Tell me I'm wrong .... o_O :)

LOW tire pressure allows the curb (as example) to impact the rim.
    HIGH
    tire pressure, curb does not impact the rim, but is absorbed by the suspension. (to the extent it can before causing damage)

Exaggerate the example. Super low pressure, and you could easily impact rim. Super high pressure and you could never impact rim.

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    So why was the advice to run lower pressure then?

18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    I don't know. Bottom line is that hitting a big, deep pothole at speed and you're screwed regardless. :eek:
    IMO, about 2 psi above 'normal' is good. Maybe a little harsher ride and steering feels a little lighter? (slightly better gas mpg, less rolling resistance)

too high tire pressure - excessive tire wear in center of tire.
    too low - excessive tire wear on sides.

and of course, every 10 deg. air temp change = 1 psi tire pressure change. Go to work, it's 50 deg. come home it's 80 deg. >>> + 30 deg change = 3 psi higher
    Temp change is why racers constantly adjust tire pressure.

19. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Don’t have a FF, but in my 458 i go to a drive thru air check at the shop nearby and watch them set the pressure in real time. It virtually identical to the mechanical gage.

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Too high pressure can cause two things. One is a blowout. In this case the overinflated tyre has no give and the edge of what ever you hit rupture thè sidewall. This usually causes severe damage to the rim as the blowout is pretty instant, and so is the impact on the rim.

The other is a bent wheel. The tyre wall has no give, but something will have to. The wheel gets bent out of shape.

Too low pressure can result in "snakebites". The tyre can absorb the impact, but is pinched between the rim and what ever edge it hits. This is usually more forgiving to the rim, as even though the tyre is pinched and deflated, the tyre still manages to absorb most of the energy.

Snakebites can also happen when pressure is correct, especially when the tyre sidewall height is at a height where there's enough volume in the tyre to start having some good impact absorbing properties, but sidewall is still on the short side of things.

The larger the volume, the better carrying capacity the tyre has, and thus the pressure needs to be lower in order for the tyre to retain its shape and proper footprint. This lower pressure combined with a larger volume which allows for greater compressability is what results in a softer ride and greater wheel protection.

Tyre volume can be increased by widening the tyre, making the sidewall taller, or a combination of both. The issue that can in some cases be found with the former, is that when a tyre strikes an edge that runs the full width, then there's great absorbtion as the load is spread out. However when the wider low profile tyre hits something tall on only one edge of the tyre, then you have a softer tyre that has to absorb the energy over a smaller area.

This is why in some cases a 245/40R20 can have better protection capabilities than a 265/35R20, despite the fact that they have the same load carrying capabilities and need the same pressure. But on the flipside a 265 can in other cases offer more protection as the wider tyre can spread the load better.

Napoli, otakki and Caeruleus11 like this.
  21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    When I have come back from a drive and am curious I take out my mechanical gauge and compare to the screen and to my surprise it is real close- this is across several different cars. I would not want to rely on the screen for a super precise reading, but I have found the variance is maybe 1-2 psi and if you find yourself needing to add or reduce pressure on the go, I would feel comfortable using the screen as a way of getting close and then sort it out at home base later.

Ive tried running a touch higher, a touch lower, none of this really helps with pothole/ wheel damage. Just my experience.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Bundy likes this.
  22. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Interestingly, my tpms have alway displayed pressure similar to this old dial-type pressure gauge I have dropped so many time, but consistenly around 1-1.5 lower than my newer Accutire gauge which I have assumed to be more accurate. Who knows, maybe it's my Accutire that is kaputo_O

23. jblaw

jblaw Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2016
    You all have scared me enough to order wheel and tire insurance! 3555 for 48 months through my dealer. Worth it!

Napoli likes this.
  24. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    The roads into and out of Manhattan are incomprehensibly bad. The maintenance neglect is so severe, and the latest wave of construction, especially on the Bruckner, is astonishing to me. I need to bring my Lusso in next week and am utterly terrified. We also have a Q7 and get bounced around and slammed. I’m a vigilant and careful driver and it’s impossible to miss the potholes because the entire surface is uneven and cratered. How can a municipality or the state neglect high traffic roadways in the biggest city in the country to this extent?! It’s just ludicrous.

LeoBRK, Napoli and Bundy like this.
  25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002