LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale? | Page 19 | FerrariChat

LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Ale55andr0, Dec 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I do not know for certain, other than increasing government safety regulations ensure that cars get bigger and heavier and sometimes taller...so the extra weight may be due to increased requirements for crash protections...and Ferrari typically develops to one market, the one (or more) with the most requirements to ensure the car is acceptable to all markets.

2. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    The US F40 had to have extra hardware added for lower speed front crash impact protection. All adds weight.

JTSE30 likes this.
  3. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    isot likes this.
  4. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Per John Elkann in today's shareholder meeting - first 100pct electric Ferrari in 2025.
    Presumably this is the LaFerrari successor.

Sad to see one more confirmation of the end of the glorious combustion-engine era.
    But happy that there are plenty of pre-owned options.

I am going to go burn some rubber in my Porsche CGT now. And maybe hunt for an F40 as a stablemate. Life goes on!

anunakki likes this.
  5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    No, fortunately the Laferrari successor will have a ICE.
    You just have to see the central high mounted exhaust on the mule above.

6. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Confirmation of the end of the combustion engine era??

A little bit too far fetched, don't you think?
    You might wanna read the actual report coming along with today's call an think again.

"We believe internal combustion engines will remain important in Ferrari’s powertrain mix and therefore we continue to invest in new combustion engine technologies and the development or use of bio-fuels."

444sp and Nuvolari-92 like this.
  7. ab08

ab08 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2007
    #458 ab08, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Call me crazy, but I think 100% electric cars will be a huge bubble. It will be the "HD-DVD" of the cars, for those who remember the HD-DVD.
    While the e-cars is still a product for the few, the technology seems viable and possible. But generating extra electricity for a worldwide demand for millions of electric cars, I just don't believe it.
    Electricity is very expensive in many parts of the world, and its production has a lot of environmental impact. And a e-car consumes a lot of electricity.
    As for hybrids, ok, because it is just an electrical assistance.
    I think that, after this hype of electric cars, when reality knocks on the door and electric cars turn out to be a bubble, the industry and legislation will readjust, and retreat back to ICE engines, with hybridization.

LVP488, vij23 and 444sp like this.
  8. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #459 4re4ever, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Before Ferrari goes with an all EV line up at least 10 years away.
    I think we will see something like Ferrari's supercharged two-stroke 3-cylinder engine being used to charge the batteries
    for the EV to give it super performance and range without having to carry a ton of battery weight.

444sp likes this.
  9. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    the ferrari hybrids are the most undesirable imo as they are neither here nor there, as said before the back catalog is good though

10. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Perhaps as the Ferrari model range shifts to electric, the limited edition Icona models stay combustion-engined as long as regulations permit.
    Similar to what Porsche is planning with the 911 range when everything else goes electric.

444sp likes this.
  11. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    LaF? Undesirable?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Boomhauer and red passion like this.
  12. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    Imo yes, when considering the other F specials it sits firmly at the bottom

13. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Is that based on the driving experience or some other measure of worthiness?
    From my standpoint and having driven all of them I do not think it is any less charismatic than the others. Every Ferrari hypercar is a product of its era and LaF represents the 2010s in the best possible way. It is also -again in my opinion- a far better car to drive than the Enzo which is let down by the gearbox.
    Btw I had the same opinion as you when the car was launched.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The LF is by far the best halo Ferrari, till the next one of course.

15. arten

arten Rookie

Mar 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alexandre O
    I honestly think Monza SP1/SP2 is a sort of halo car as well. What do you guys think ?

16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    More like a design study, or an artistic expression, rather than a halo model. After all it is "just" an 812 underneath the skin, or the carbon fibre, I should say.

17. arten

arten Rookie

Mar 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alexandre O
    You are right, it certainly doesn't continue Ferrari's F40-F50-Enzo-laF line but to me it sounds acceptable as a "definite" Ferrari car, encapsulating a lot of things that make Ferrari so magical and starting with the design and the barchetta aspect to feel F1-ish. I would really want the replacement of the laF to be fully N/A but I think we are all dreaming about this especially with the new spy shots of the testing prototype.

18. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    Screw safety regulations, Ferrari shouldn't give a **** about them

JTSE30 likes this.
  19. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    perhaps unreliable = undesirable; multiple issues with the electric system become absolutely hugely expensive to keep the car running....and time consuming

20. iohead

iohead Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    It is to be seen how the reliability of hybrid hypercars evolves across time, but the first generation (not just the LaFerrari but also the P1 and the 918) is very much on flimsy grounds when it comes to the reliability and maintenance of the electric portion of the hybrid powertrain. The high-voltage batteries are ultimately consumables, which, perhaps could be digestible if their lifetimes were predictable and guaranteed, but they aren't: abuse, unwitting maintenance mistakes, and glitches can all lead to an untimely demise of these batteries. One nasty culprit is the charging-related software that lives in numerous components (onboard/offboard chargers, interfaces, and converters): software is glitchy by nature, and I've experienced bugs in these contexts that the manufacturers have not been able to solve or even acknowledge.

And there is another logistical hurdle that adds to the long-term maintenance complexity: with the older halo cars, there is well-established technical expertise beyond Ferrari dealers, as in, some of the best people in the world who can work on 288 GTO / F40 / F50 / Enzo are not employed at authorized Ferrari dealers. That is a good thing. In contrast, anyone but a specially trained person (who is typically not a dealer employee and has to be flown in) is forbidden from working on tasks involving high-voltage batteris.

polishhammer83 likes this.
  21. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    On the top it, Ferrari is not good at improving technology for older models (we are still paying a fortune for fuel bags for F40 to be changed every 10 years, or T belt for old V8 to be changed every 3 years...).

Not sure then that replacement battery packs for laferrari in 10/20 years time will use the latest technology. I wouldn't be surprised that owners will have to pay a fortune to get specially built old school batteries....

22. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Good points, have also seen $30,000 inverters fail (LaF), it is part of the electric drivetrain, but not the battery...the entire EV "drivetrain" is not going to age well at all; Hope Ferrari has dramatically improved these failure points in the SF90, we'll know more in 5 years or so, most LaF owners are rather quiet about these problems but I am thinking SF90 owners will be more vocal...

polishhammer83 likes this.
  23. polishhammer83

polishhammer83 Karting

Sep 30, 2012
    The Icona line is completely separate, though awesome and beautiful in its own right.
    They seem to be almost polar opposite of the halo line, ie something meant to inspire passions of old, and not be bleeding edge tech and aero.
    The SF90 is almost in its own class currently, though also not a halo car, but it represents a new step in tech for Ferrari.

Back to the actual next halo car, I certainly hope it will be sans hybrid, but I the road is changing beneath Ferrari at a rapid pace, and the these electric razors they are passing off as cars are being shoved down our throats.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Forza Scuderia and Johnny_Bravo like this.