All-Electric Ferrari Announced for 2025! | FerrariChat

All-Electric Ferrari Announced for 2025!

Discussion in 'Electric Ferraris' started by ingegnere, Apr 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I’m so excited I could lie down and do nothing.

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I wish the article would say WHY Ferrari decided to produce an EV. Someday far in the future when EVs are mandated, sure. But why now? The only clue in the article is the following verbiage:

“We are continuing to execute our electrification strategy in a highly disciplined way,” Elkann said. “Our interpretation and application of these technologies both in motorsport and in road cars is a huge opportunity to bring the uniqueness and passion of Ferrari to new generations.” (emphasis added)

Do they think the "new generations" would prefer an electric Ferrari, with fake engine sound piped in? Does that sound like it would inspire passion? It certainly doesn't to me, though I'm not part of a new generation. From what I gather, millenials and the generation coming of age behind them think that Tesla, which is an iPhone on 4 wheels, represents automotive nirvana. They don't want to drive cars; they want to be driven BY their cars. So maybe Ferrari is onto something, but an electric Ferrari inspires as much passion in me as a bowl of moldy peaches.

One question though: Will it have a clear engine lid with a passion-inspiring view of the battery?

JaguarXJ6, Atlantic, 4ROARE and 18 others like this.
  3. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Incase some hit the paywall here's the article

Ferrari NV is coming around to the idea of adding a fully electric supercar to the fold.
    The Italian manufacturer will unveil its first vehicle that runs entirely on a battery in 2025, Chairman John Elkann said Thursday at Ferrari’s annual general meeting. His comments suggest views on electrification within the company have evolved since Louis Camilleri resigned as chief executive officer late last year.

Camilleri, whose lack of automotive experience made him a somewhat controversial pick in 2018 to run one of the world’s preeminent car brands, expressed doubt throughout his tenure that Ferrari would ditch combustion engines.
    “A lot of our customers have difficulty imagining a real Ferrari which is fully electric,” Camilleri, 66, said in 2019. Last year, he told analysts he didn’t see Ferrari ever shifting to 100% EVs and ruled out the company reaching 50% in his lifetime.

Elkann, the scion of the Agnelli family, told investors Thursday the search for a new CEO is speeding up. Candidates on the company’s short list will have the technological capabilities needed to lead the company, he said.

The new CEO will share details about Ferrari’s future during a capital markets day in 2022, which will be a year of important new product launches, Elkann said. The Purosangue -- the brand’s first-ever SUV -- is “turning out to be something truly special.”

“We are continuing to execute our electrification strategy in a highly disciplined way,” Elkann said. “Our interpretation and application of these technologies both in motorsport and in road cars is a huge opportunity to bring the uniqueness and passion of Ferrari to new generations.”

ingegnere and crinoid like this.
  4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    IMO They're caving in to wokeism - Plus a fear of not being fast enough

Pis7a2020, NYC Fred, sixcarbs and 2 others like this.
  5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm

(that's not me thinking, it's the future sound outside the Starbucks)

AD211, Bas, kes7u and 1 other person like this.
  6. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    It didn’t hurt Bob Dylan ;).

Radu, Bradley123, NYC Fred and 2 others like this.
  7. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Good for them. We may not like it, but the word is shifting to electric cars. And faster than you think. I don’t think I will ever buy an ICE car again, and there are many who feel like me. Once you go electric...

Electric car technology is still in the toddler stage, IMO. There is so much potential. I am looking forward to seeing what a company like Ferrari can bring to the table.

Boomhauer, paulchua and ingegnere like this.
  8. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Boooooring!

9. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I don’t think it’s wokeism but rather a plan to meet all upcoming emissions laws but also performance.

Seeing all the YouTube videos of Teslas out-dragging IC supercars will eventually change people’s mindset about what constitutes a fast car. A lot of car buyers buy cars based only on reputation and perceived desirability and many don’t care or know what’s under the hood. Like when BMW started moving to FWD because they realized most of their buyers didn’t even know that their cars were RWD.

Pretty sure Ferrari will keep making IC engined cars for those who want the sound and feel of an IC car, but like with their SUV, they realized they’re leaving money on the table by not having an electric car. And maybe it’ll just be an electric SUV.

At worst, it’ll be a development exercise to get into electric car design lest they suddenly find themselves being completely overtaken by a fast-developing electric performance car field.

I was just watching a video of the 1900 hp Pininfarina Battista before reading this article and was thinking that I could really see someone with a couple $M being attracted to that car. Certainly they won’t have to fear feeling inferior in any way to any other car on the road.

10. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Well maybe they are just trying to make their pathetic F1 team look better by destroying their road cars as well. :) Or maybe Waldo is now in charge of design as well? :)

SUV's, EV's, F1 in the toilet.....

turbokraft, Cortez, 3POINT8 and 2 others like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua

Attached Files:

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yes
    Today's kids (tomorrow's buyers) first learn about Ferrari from this:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    As pathetic as it is, I could care less . When I see the jerk offs driving them, I will just nod my head in disgust , and when they try and race me , just like the douchbags in their teslas do , while Im riding my 2 wheeled machines, I will leave them like they are standing still lol

Thank you

14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

A full electric Ferrari? Buy the extended warranty. Twice.

That's all I'm saying.

15. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A sad day. :(

Finally Ferrari and 4ROARE like this.
  16. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Big yawn. We can barely use the power of an F430 on the streets, never mind anything produced since—so, who cares if it’s even faster than today’s cars? It lacks the theater of the ICE experience. That is arguable more important as speed, which largely has become a commodity at this point.

And what about on the track? A handful of hot laps before it starts powering down? Double yawn. ICE wins again.

Tesla is not all bad. I’m on the list for a Cybertruck. I like it for its bold, controversial styling and for its utility (literally bulletproof!). The fact that it’s powered by batteries is beside the point, and maybe even a net detractor in this case.

arp, ExcelsiorZ and italiafan like this.
  17. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Who cares......Ferrari has already croaked as far as I am concerned. Anything after the 512 Boxer is of no interest to me at all.

KLHarper and ginoBBi512 like this.
  18. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    What about F50 Enzo Speciale and F12TDF

19. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Not desirable at all to me. I bought my first Ferrari in 1983............it took me a few months to figure out I needed something much older than that.
    Eventually added a 1959 and a 1964 and was way happier.

EnzoItaly, Dave Bertrand and F2003-GA like this.
  20. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Had a Model X Performance, absolutely the most boring car I’ve ever driven. There is a lot more to a car than how fast it accelerates.

4ROARE, KLHarper, Duuc and 4 others like this.
  21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ferrari gets into appliance manufacturing. Up next, the Ferrari fridge.

Absolute zero interest in this. No thanks.

22. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    It’s funny, we all have our lines in the sand. They are all different, but lines nonetheless.

I was always buying the latest and greatest. The last in that category was a Mercedes S class coupe. It was piece of excrement. I forced myself to drive it for a year and dumped it. I decided that I hate all of the homogeneous “new” cars (gas or electric) and that I would never again own a new car. I will also say there is a special place on the other side of the line for all Teslas and their electric clones.

So my 612 is my head nod to having some form of “new” car and other than that I am going full retro and all my future cars will be cars of my childhood. I acquired a 65 Vette and I am looking to add to my”new to me” stable. A Pantera and a Camaro being under present consideration.

EnzoItaly and Dave Bertrand like this.
  23. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Help me understand what the attraction is. I appreciate the tech but I still don't get it the lure despite having driven several.

Is it the mechanical simplicity? Silence? Tech? What is the number one reason why you prefer them over ICE?

Given that electricity still comes primarily from fossil fuels and the fact that lithium mining is extremely damaging I assume you aren't attracted to EV's for green reasons.

Mickyd329, EnzoItaly, Bas and 3 others like this.
  24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    The attraction for the manufacturers is regulatory compliance, and for the consumers, it’s virtue signaling.