What's For Dinner? | Page 676 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Nicolas21 and wax like this.
  2. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    Personally Pizza for Sunday and the GP of Imola :cool:
    Just need to find recipes

I.T. Guy and tomc like this.
  3. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Homemade spaghetti and meatballs. Mom's sauce with Kirkland Italian style meatballs.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  4. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Victorian salad? Is that potato based?

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    After all the talk of capers, I got the wife to pick up some last week. Had some with spaghetti.
    This recipe.

https://www.olivetomato.com/pasta-with-capers-parsley-and-breadcrumbs/

Recipe called for one clove of garlic, which seemed to be way too little, so I went with about 4 cloves.

Forgot to snap a pic of the final product. I topped mine with red pepper flakes and a little parm.

T

6. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    tomc and TexasF355F1 like this.
  7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  8. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    ronfrohock, wax and arizonaitalian like this.
  9. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Going to get rolls, seafood udon and assorted sashimi. Hungry!

10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    We have a “butcher” in town (meat processor is more accurate) where one brings their hunted game or farm critters and they slaughter and butcher it for you. So I’d never been. But now they are starting to work with local ranchers to prepare and sell meat at retail.

First offering was some local grass fed wagyu, that they let roam until age 5 and then cull. They are dry aging a bunch of this critter, of which I’ve reserved a few cuts. And they gave me some fresh filet from the same animal to try now.

So here are the little filets they gave me. I seared them in cast iron with butter, rosemary and garlic cloves. I thought the beef was good, but nothing special. Perhaps the other ingredients in the pan overpowered it. (I was too lazy to go outside and grill it tonight).

Supposedly this ranch supplies The French Laundry among other fine dining places...(how’s that for a marketing name drop, it worked on me!)

I look forward to posting the thick cut dry aged NY strips and ribeyes when they are ready in 40 days...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ronfrohock, NbyNW, wax and 4 others like this.
  11. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    Ohhhhhh yes :):)

12. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well it sure looks good!

I threw something together last night to use up some stuff. Chicken thighs pounded out then filled with chopped up broccoli, mushrooms and onion. then I wrapped them in bacon and threw 'em in the oven surrounded by some marinara sauce and a bit of cheese on top. Came out tasty although next time I'd probably cook the bacon separate, I prefer crunchy bacon. Just had leftovers tonight with some riced cauliflower. Still tasty!

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Looks good. Five years old is ancient by beef standards, no? I thought most commercial beef was harvested at 1 - 2 years old...T

14. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Yup, you are right. They explained why they do that, saying it was because these are 100% grass fed, pasture raised animals. So no "finishing" of any kind. So they let them age in an attempt to get better fat marbling.

wax and tomc like this.
  15. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #16891 arizonaitalian, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    sounds like "Olivier" salad. Aka "Russian" salad. Popular throughout the old soviet block. And yummy!

Most Polish folks abhor calling it by those names, which likely explains why its called Victorian in your household. (Ania's family calls it simply "veggie salad" as per the link you posted.)

There are many, many rifs on the ingredients. In fact the history was made by the recipe being stolen and then recreated with slightly different ingredients and then evolving from there. For some reason I've heard about the history and watched youtube vids on it a few times. Yeah, I need more hobbies...

The history of this salad is interesting to me. Here is the original ingredients by the creator of the dish. Sounds...err...umm..interesting, no? Luckily for taste buds everywhere, the recipe evolved to more mundane and tasty things over time. Today's Olivier salad's contain virtually none of the original's ingredients.

"The exact recipe—particularly that of the dressing—was a zealously guarded secret, but it is known that the salad contained grouse, veal tongue, caviar, lettuce, crayfish tails, capers, and smoked duck, although it is possible that the recipe was varied seasonally."

https://www.google.com/search?q=olivier+salad&oq=olivier+salad&aqs=chrome..69i57j46i433j0l8.2495j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_salad

tomc likes this.
  16. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    jealous! Haven't had any Polish food in some time.

(oddly Ania doesn't make much tradition food. She prefers to make Indian-based concoctions in the kitchen. I plan to guilt her into getting better at Pierogi's though...)

wax likes this.
  17. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Last night I skipped the sashimi and just had rolls with seafood udon. Tonight I'm getting the assorted sashimi and some rolls. They have a frequent visitor card, fill in ten spots on the card, get a $30 gift certificate. Tonight will be visit number four since getting the card.

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If you don't mind me asking, Max, what's an average price per visit?

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Pizza tonight. Chicken last night. Previously made on the rotisserie. Needed to test the gasser after a cleaning & refurb, so reheated on the gasser.

T

19. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    This new place is expensive. Old place was about $35. This one is almost $45. Excluding tip. I've been tipping $10 on take out with no dine in. No dine in must be messing with their income.

ronfrohock and Jdubbya like this.
  20. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I wanted to get this written down so I'd remember what I made, it came out tasty. Grabbed some Poblano peppers and stuffed them. Browned up a mix of chorizo and hamburger with some onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cleaned the peppers, then mixed some Cotija cheese in the meat mixture and stuffed the peppers. Used a small can of Jalapeno/tomato sauce (El Pato brand) and covered the peppers. About 20 minutes in I put some shredded mozzarella on top and let them finish cooking. A little Mexican crema over the top when done and Yummmmm.

One lb of each meat and a bunch of mushrooms made enough to stuff 4 big peppers (8 halves) with quite a bit left over that I'll eat as lettuce tacos or something later too.

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Pics?

Sounds yummy. So, you split the peppers in half and then filled them up? As opposed to slit them open and then stuffed them!.

Did you remove the outer skin of the poblano peppers?

T

22. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    When I make this next time I may pop them into boiling water or microwave 'em for a minute or two just to make them more pliable. Oooh or even better maybe char them up a bit first?!

I was gonna try just cutting a slit and stuffing them but they didn't want to comply that way. So yeah, I just cut 'em in half and filled them that way. Didn't remove skins or anything, just baked them.

Sorry I didn't take any pics. They are tasty though, gonna have leftovers for dinner tonight!

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks Jdubbya. Useful info. Last time I did poblano peppers, I charred them under the broiler, put them in a metal bowl, covered with a damp towel, and let them steam for about 15 min. Then peeled.

As with yours, they didn't really want to comply with slitting and stuffing, but I kind of forced them! Looked none too elegant, but tasted good...T

24. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Yeah, mine were kinda doing the gansta lean to one side or the other. But once covered in some cheese, sauce, and crema, they sure tasted good!