What about Trump's 757? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

What about Trump's 757?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Nov 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    In my time, I have met several genius "big domes" and their minds were usually in the ethernet and incapable of social interaction. Didn't understand jokes or innuendo.

greg328, Boomhauer and Ak Jim like this.
  2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That is certainly the perception, and Jody is supposed to be twice as bad as Paul ever was. I'm a little skeptical that he never learned it, he grew up in a pretty normal home and obviously had to interact with people throughout his business career (both at Microsoft and with his sports teams). I think he was just a shy fellow, and when he was surrounded by hangers-on and enablers, that just got much worse.

His hangar at BFI was something else, though! I don't know if the family still has it. I used to do recurrent training with his guys when I was flying a TAG airplane and they were TAG as well. Never met or flew Paul, though, just heard stories.

3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ maybe he was on the spectrum.

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I've known some code writers and "normal" is only a relative term. At least one of them talked about Allen being supremely good - their standard was not how much code one could write but doing the fewest lines needed to accomplish a task.

Boomhauer likes this.
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Folks who learned coding on assembly language got pretty good at that. The 16K computers in our old F-111Ds and F-111Fs used assembly language, which was really space efficient. With only 16K, you needed efficiency.

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Even Bill Gates said something like that about Paul and that's saying something. Paul had a complete old computer museum with old mainframe computers (PDP-10s mostly), all up and running.

His flight department, at it's peak, was unbelievable. 2 757s, GV, Global, Challenger, Twin Otter on floats, CitationJet, multiple helicopters...

As I recall hearing, when Paul was in Seattle, every Friday night (maybe Saturday? Both?) the Challenger was to be on the ramp, fueled and filed for Santa Monica, APU running. If he showed up, they went, and if he wasn't there by midnight (or some set time), they shut down and put it back in the hangar. The stories are just endless...

greg328, tritone and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    His yacht Octopus is amazing. Helipad on the bow. Then a huge deck on the back with a hanger to fit multiple helicopters and a G-wagen.

9. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Right, and I can't remember the name of the other yacht. I believe one was generally in the Med and one in the South Pacific. I think Octopus was the one with a submarine.

Apparently, part of the deal with one of the yachts, maybe it was Octopus, was that it's original purpose* was to serve as a helipad for his island in the San Juans. The neighbors and the zoning code wouldn't let him have a helipad on the property, so he built the yacht so he could anchor the yacht off the island, fly up there on the helicopter, land on the yacht, and go from there to the island... but while the yacht was being built, he bought the Twin Otter on amphib floats, and figured out that was a much easier and more pleasant way to get up there than the helicopter.

*Obviously it wasn't built solely for that, but that was his reasoning for building it.

10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    And oddly enough, the Otter rarely spent any time at the dock; it was always sent back to the Lopez airport (right over my head) to sit there until needed.....always seemed inefficient......
    Another reason for the Otter; the boat that got built got WAY too big to fit into the channel leading to the island!

NMNMNMN likes this.
  11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You really want to minimize the amount of time floatplanes spend in salt water, so I would guess that flying it back to an airport and landing on land, where they can rinse it down, would be a good practice.

greg328, sigar, tritone and 2 others like this.
  12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    At his house on Mercer Island the neighbors had complained about him using the helicopter to land at the house. His solution was to have a barges that he could reel in and out from the house's dock for the helicopter to land on.

13. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I saw Octopus in Fort Lauderdale while I lived there. Problem with it is it’s so big it has to park in the cruise port. The size really limits how you can use it.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    For Sale: 235 million euros ($280 million US) - (reduced from 295 million euros)
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/billspringer/2019/09/04/microsoft-co-founder-paul-allens-414-foot-long-explorer-yacht-octopus-is-for-sale/?sh=ecbd239d815d
    Lots of pics https://www.burgessyachts.com/en/buy-a-yacht/yachts-for-sale/octopus-00006307

414 ft. - notice helo's both front and rear.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

and it's very own Yellow Submarine :)

NürScud likes this.
  15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Especially an amphib. Even landing only in fresh water and hangaring on land an amphib requires a lot of maintenance of the landing gear.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't understand the entire yacht thing or huge homes unless they have lot of outdoor entertainment and toys like in this case. :) Finally got to see some video of the inside of the yacht and the sub thanks to this thread sending me down the rabbit hole known as Youtube lol.

greg328 and BJK like this.
  17. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Toy "garages" have become commonplace on larger yachts over the years.
    I've always wondered about the tradeoff between convenience and seaworthiness, esp in any kind of a storm.

Didn't a car ferry sink a few years ago when one of the bow doors opened?

Yeah, I see that they're on the sides or stern...but.

18. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    Why 2 helicoptors. 1 for him and 1 for the wife? Submarine for the girlfriend?

19. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Welcome to city of Seattle LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

This is why he didn’t care about Trumps offer being low. Money was not an issue ;).

Probably made jokes about it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Paul never married, so that wasn't an issue. Why 2 757s, a GV and a Global? Because he could!

BJK and Boomhauer like this.
  22. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I used to go to a sushi place in Plantation. Takeyama. The best sushi I've ever had. Owner and his wife ran the place, the house roll was a Takeyama roll. Stone crab in mayo with some other stuff. Kenny was hard to understand, he was from Japan and English was a 2nd language. Still, I went in for lunch all the time because it was so good. One day he tells me he's going to be closed the next week cause he's doing sushi for the Microsoft guy on his yacht. I remember thinking, yeah yeah, its probably some Microsoft exec, blah blah blah. I go back the next week and he's got pictures, he did a huge spread on the back deco of the Octopus for Paul Allen. Kenny retired shortly afterwards, I've never had fantastic sushi since.

greg328, tritone, donv and 1 other person like this.
  23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I suppose the people who catered for the Trumps up at Mar-a-lago did pretty well also. I wonder if the fact that Trump is now an ex-President will change his (and his guests') lifestyle any.

24. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think it's interesting that this thread started about Trump and morphed into a Paul Allen thread. And in my opinion, Paul was much more interesting!

Jeff Kennedy, Boomhauer and Bob Parks like this.
  25. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Donald Trump statement on upgrading his rally jet...

May 21, 2021 -
    Statement by Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States of America:

Many people have asked about the beautiful Boeing 757 that became so iconic during the Trump rallies. It was effectively kept in storage in Upstate New York in that I was not allowed to use it during my presidency. It is now being fully restored and updated and will be put back into service sometime prior to the end of the year. It will soon be brought to a Louisiana service facility for the completion of work, inspection and updating of Rolls-Royce engines, and a brand new paint job. When completed, it will be better than ever, and again used at upcoming rallies!

GatorFL, u2fast, jcurry and 5 others like this.