Pista Exhaust Upgrade | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Pista Exhaust Upgrade

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Aug 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    So you’re doing a non-valved Brooke? X pipe?

2. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Well I may be the guinea pig for the Kline system is they get their OBD port plug out anytime soon... Or may just get the Novi Race exhaust if it’s much longer.

SECRET likes this.
  3. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm picking up my Pista on Monday. It's getting the Inconel Kline valved exhaust and 200 cell cats. I'll circle back to give my impressions. I've had the Capristo valve controller on the stock exhaust, so we'll see what the difference is.

SECRET likes this.
  4. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Great, will be awaiting your review!

SECRET likes this.
  5. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Yeah, my pursuit of a valved system has come to a conclusion. While the IPE Titanium valved exhaust worked beautifully on my Speciale, it seems the valved systems on the Pista just don't do it for me with the sound.

It'll be the Brooke X-Pipe (Non-valved) Rear Section in Inconel with heat wrap + ceramic coat.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Won't that make it difficult to track the car?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SECRET likes this.
  7. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    You are 100% correct. The track near my home that I enjoy driving has very restrictive sound limits (typically around 90dB). The Pista doesn't pass even with the OEM exhaust. They have some higher sound limit days that go up a few dB, but it's not meaningfully different. The days I can go are the rare 105dB, which I can easily pass in the Pista, likely with the exhaust. The Speciale was another story!

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I know it won't be pretty, but there might be a solution. You could use clamp-on tails?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. jerrym

jerrym Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    SF/BJ
    Are you in Bay Area? I’m trying to decide on an exhaust...

10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I will say you are persistent ! I hope you ultimately get what you want.

PS dont sell the Pista after you achieve your goal !!!!

Caeruleus11 and SECRET like this.
  11. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Yep. Take your time with your search! Lots of options out there, but not many sound great.

MANDALAY likes this.
  12. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I've definitely thought about that as a means to help. Just given how hot the tips get, I haven't looked to see if there's a good way I can keep them clamped in place without risking contact with the bumper etc.

13. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    You know, the thought did cross my mind at some point. But given how much work it took to get an allocation of the Pista and how special it really is to be able to spec your own VS model (even if it was only time-limited production), I decided this one will be a keeper.

Caeruleus11 and MANDALAY like this.
  14. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike

Well, got the car back yesterday. It wasn't as loud as I thought it would be with the inconel and 200 cell cats. It's about 20% louder IMO. But then again, I might have had my expectations too high.

At the upper RPM range, the car does have a much higher pitch (more of the classic Ferrari NA V8 sound). It was what I was looking for and am satisfied with it. you can definitely hear more turbo whistle as well.

What I did find out during the process was that the Inconel Button (valve controller) is not compatible with the Pista. They work for the 488, but not the Pista. I thought that was interesting. I guess I'll be putting in a Capristo controller next.

Bundy and BCHOW like this.
  15. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thanks for the words! Yes I wonder why it doesn’t work? Probably won’t work on a F8 either then? Did you reach out to Kline for an explanation? Probably what I’m looking for on the sound front as well, as I don’t want to venture into the obnoxious territory.

16. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    I have this exact setup just sitting in my garage for the last year with no time to install it....did you get any idea of the length of time installation took or how difficult it was?

17. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I don't remember if it's earlier in this thread or a different one, but the Pista/F8 exhaust valves are set up a bit differently than previous models. The two systems that I am aware of that work are the Forza and Capristo solutions. The Forza system deals with it by installing a separate set of solenoids while Capristo installs just the same as with most other models, but has a mode switch that deals with what they refer to as polarity of the valve controller. IMHO FWIW, the Capristo controller install is simpler, and the remote is more modern.

Bundy and Lagunae92 like this.
  18. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I left the car at the shop for 4 days. I'm not sure how long the exhaust itself took as I got the Novitec springs installed at the same time. Install seemed pretty straight forward as I saw it for a short period of time when the exhaust was being installed. Bumper and wheels off and pretty much bolt on.

19. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    It's coming together, guys. This is an inconel valveless system with 150µm heat shields formed and welded over 12mm insulation. The system will go through one more step which is ceramic coating before it is shipped to me to install on the beast.

Also of note, like most great exhaust manufacturers, all the OEM hanger locations are kept intact. Not all of your favorite exhaust companies do that. I cannot be certain why, but if it's to cut weight, it's worth considering at what cost it comes to do that to your vehicle.

Attached Files:

Bundy, ShineKen, Thecadster and 7 others like this.
  20. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    For those of you running HFC or Decat, which code clearing do you use? If you install a Novitec Tectronic or Capristo Wizard, does the computer store the codes so that Ferrari will see what has happened in the event of an issue?

21. jerrym

jerrym Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    SF/BJ
    Valveless looks better IMO

SECRET likes this.
  22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Great work there !

23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Micky - has the exhaust opened up with more miles?

Thecadster likes this.
  24. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike

It's definitely opened up with the miles. Sounds great now. I really like how it sounds. I added the Capristo valve controller and the Capristo OBD Wizard as it was triggering the CEL.

I talked to Kline and they suggested I buy their OBD module instead of using the o2 sensor adapter so bought one from them. Come to find out their system overrides all codes. Shame on me for now doing my due diligence. Lol.

I bought the Capristo version that only overrides exhaust related codes and all is good now.

Bundy and Thecadster like this.
  25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Thats good to know on the codes, it wasn't made clear to me either. Glad to hear you are enjoying it.