The Socal To AZ Garage Build - Input Appreciated | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Socal To AZ Garage Build - Input Appreciated

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by SoCal to az, Feb 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Could do that for your upstairs racing simulator. For 28k I’d hope it has motion and all that jazz

2. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    If it were me I'd run the grey slate (or whatever it is) all the way to the ceiling, stopping halfway looks like you ran out of money and did it on the cheap.

AD211 likes this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Fair comment but I disagree. Nothing will look cheap when Im done. :). If I was to do this, would for sure need white floors......otherwise too much grey.

Mikael-F360 and ChipG like this.
  4. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Too big. Specifically too long- it will protrude into the golf simulator. And really I dont want a big ass car upstairs. Will just be too much. Regular sim upstairs, cars downstairs, maybe on the wall.

5. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Maybe then use the white space to put large murals in black and white of cars / F1 cars to look at from the simulator area? Kind of like they do at the Petersen museum sometimes.

Something like this wall, I know there are better examples out there but you'll get the idea.

SoCal to az likes this.
  6. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I too like the wood accent wall better, I think it adds some nice warmth to the space. I don't really like the slate going all the way up nor do I really liek the blunt transition to the white wall either. It looks odd, but I'm not sure how I would best fix it.

That being said, the garage looks awesome and I would be thrilled with it either way.

SoCal to az likes this.
  7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  8. Cavallino Nero Rampante

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    ST
    Congrats' on finding the rendering that you want for your new space.

My own two pesos if I may; stopping the grey stone is a great idea for two reasons, it defines the upper and lower space and it keeps things very bright which you obviously want. Please don't worry about the large white walls. You are going for a modern and more minimalist approach and most people love cluttering their walls up with unnecessary nick-knacks or let's call it 'art work' that they install that destroys the very idea of the design. Live with the space for a little bit and feel it and then decide if you want to put something up.

I think the floors look great in either grey or white, one item to consider if you do large format tiles is the grout and sealer so dirt and liquids from the cars don't stain.

One critique of the design if I may and it may only be in the perspective. Follow the line from the bottom of the landing, the platform where the stairs meet up to, and follow that along to the windows/doors. It appears to meet the large horizontal casing on the windows/doors perfectly. Now go to the other side of the loft space, where the stone meets up to and then follow that line to the window and casing on that side. To me I see a large gap, again, I know this could just be my perspective and this isn't a final architect draft, but just something that bothers my eye.

It appears to be an incredible project and I hope you keep us updated on the progress. ;)

9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agree. Very good point. less is more. One thing this "garage" will not contain is a hodge podge of crap on the walls. neon signs, pictures of James Dean and his speedster, a signed photo by Mario Andretti. You get my jist. That is just not my style. If the space warrants it, I will have a massive piece on the wall. Maybe a replica car. Maybe a Ferrari dealership sign maybe something else. But big, substantial, minimal. Thank you- I completely agree with this point.

Yes. Agree again. Large format tiles with minimal to no grout lines. I want them as small as possible. I thought about polished concrete but hard to get a light color in that. Porcelain tile slabs is what Im aiming for if I can find the right material that can withstand the traffic. In the living area of the house we are doing 6 foot by 4 foot porcelain slabs. Large pieces, minimal grout.

You are absolutely correct in that the platform on one side butts up to the casing but I have a white wall on the other side. If you look at the floor plan, the windows are lined up perfectly. However in order to accommodate the stairs, we did the platform. I could have eliminated the platform by changing the orientation of the stairs and we tried multiple versions including a circular staircase but this way gives me the most flexibility, gives a "viewing platform" to the cars below and allows me to park a car under the stairs till they get too low.

To get more symmetry, I could extend a platform on the other side but it will likely be wasted space and frankly too symmetrical. It does give me a potential display area to put a large format piece of art or just leave the wall blank. But good eye- it is asymmetrical but not sure if it will work any other way. Open to suggestions if you have any ideas.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Very cool project!

SoCal to az likes this.
  11. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Still waiting on damn permits!

13. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Ugh! That's a bummer! Good luck!

14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    We still don’t have permits. Have to go through hillside commission approval and then submit for permits. No hillside approval yet and they have had all the paperwork for weeks, if not months.

I was fine with waiting a bit but this is ridiculous.

Good news is that we specced out the garage door. Glass slider operated by remote control. Better than nothing.

15. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Following this thread, can not wait to see this completed!! So excited

SoCal to az likes this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Update: Should have hillside permits this week. Then off to the city. This needs to happen now. My cars are piling up. 765LT coming at the end of the year and just got bumped up for my GT3 allocation which will arrive in November. No where to park. Damn!!

mikesufka and Thecadster like this.
  17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I’m jealous. You’re moving faster than me. My garage is still being engineered…. I guess I didn’t know about your incoming GT3. What spec did you land on?

mikesufka likes this.
  18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I need to finalize but manual- with the wing. I had a touring allocation but when they released the Touring, I frankly like the wing better so I swapped which they were happy to do but it means that I have to take deliver this year instead of next. Its fine but just need to figure out parking for a bit.

Right now leaning Speed Yellow (wife choice) but I thought it would compliment the Pista stripes nicely. But I also am speccing out my LT spider next Monday and have to figure out the colors on that. Im going broke with all this!

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Thecadster likes this.
  20. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    SoCal to az likes this.
  21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Wasnt the plan but then the 765 spider allocation came through and now the GT3. Selling my kids if anyone is looking for a couple of helpers around the house to pay for it all.

Jdubbya and Thecadster like this.
  22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Success!!! Phase 1 of permits complete. We got hillside approval. Monday the plans go to the city for final permits. Making progress! Albeit slowly. Meanwhile lumber prices are half of what they were a few months ago. Everything headed in the right direction.

Ak Jim and AD211 like this.
  23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    what section of pheonix?
    pics of lot?

24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    camelback mountain.

25. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    we stayed at the camel back in last yr. lots of new construction happening. nice area.
    on a steep hillside or downlow?