360 - CS appreciation? | FerrariChat

360 CS appreciation?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mikeroch, Apr 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mikeroch

Mikeroch Karting

Mar 20, 2014
    Hi. I'm looking at at purchasing a CS up here in Canada (2004, about 11.5k miles/18.6k km). Asking price $289k CDN, or around $230k USD. Seems a bit high to me based on others I've seen with lower mileage (which I'd prefer). Spec'd new in Rosso Corsa exterior and optioned with Red Brake Calipers, Fire Extinguisher, Carbon Fibre Racing Seats, Radio Deleted, Red/Black Alcantara interior. Recent Timing Belt Service. Looking for comments/advice re: price, and potential for future value appreciation? Thanks in advance.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If you can only appreciate the car on the basis of its potential appreciation then do not buy - it is not guaranteed and to be honest unlikely

3. Mikeroch

Mikeroch Karting

Mar 20, 2014
    I think you misinterpreted my question, or perhaps I was unclear. I definitely appreciate the car for what it is, but, if spending that kind of money, it would be nice to know that it's priced fairly in today's market, and also if there is potential for appreciation. I appreciate your input though. Thanks.

4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds like a sucker deal to me. The 360 is just not rare enough to appreciate significantly. It should keep up with inflation but that's about it. If you bought this car and went to a cars and coffee, you'd be sitting next to cars that look just about the same that were 1/4 the cost. You'd have to explain to everyone why your car is worth four times more.

Like others said, if you're buying the car with the idea you can sell it for more later, you're going to be falling into a deep hole filled with red ink.

You can get a nice F1 360 for under $80k US. I suggest going that route. If you want a fancy, collectable car, spend a bit more and get a model that wasn't produced so prodigiously.

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

There weren’t that many CS though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    The CS is the best 360 by a wide margin. In some ways my favorite non super car Ferrari. It is definitely a collector car and will appreciate.

-K1-, Shark01 and Michael B like this.
  7. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    In the world of special Ferrari makes the Stradale is always included. I believe that is the key here.

Who knows? That asking price may look like a gift in the future.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

JPMD and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Appreciate relative to what? Consumer price index/inflation? After maintenance and insurance maybe barely. Very unlikely to beat the stock market...I don't think the F40 has even come close to matching the stock market. The main thing with these cars is you won't lose what you put in unlike a brand new Fcar like a Lusso.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    This is what I look for in buying fun cars....I just want to stay close to even, including normal maintenance. So far so good on both my cars......although prices have spiked significantly on both, just an added benefit and wasn't the goal going in.

I do believe the CS is a future blue chip collectible.

10. Mikeroch

Mikeroch Karting

Mar 20, 2014

This seems to make alot of sense. But then I read some of the replies below, and am now confused lol. Going to take a look at it tomorrow, definitely won't be signing on the dotted line though. Thanks to all for the input!

EastMemphis likes this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Buy the car that makes you most happy and gets you out of bed at night to randomly look at in the garage pinching yourself thinking you're still in a dream. Not one that may go up in value more than another.

vinny84 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  12. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    For goodness sake just drive them both! Nothing wrong with a 360. But then you drive the CS and will buy it. Period.

13. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Amen. I do that with my 360 F1 now. Can’t imagine having a CS to drool over

14. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The CS and the 360 have nothing to do with one another. Hence the numbers 360 cannot be found anywhere on a CS.

jehu999, rpmtifosi, JAM1 and 2 others like this.
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    LMAO comparing CS to base 360 comment above.
    CS is epic.
    OP - price is a bit high, but very rare. Cars like that were about $175k +/- in 2019 IIRC. But everything is going crazy.

16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I have one and it’s a great. If you hold it long enough, you’ll drive it for free at least.

Mikeroch, vinny84 and Texas Forever like this.
  17. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Actually, the F40 has done BETTER than the stock market. As have many collector cars, interestingly enough.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147513192/

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
  19. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Buy the nicest one you can find with the colors/options you like best. It’s that simple.

Regarding the price, it’s upper range but certainly not egregious. As a reference, my car is similarly equipped although it has a radio and 9k miles. I wouldn’t sell it for less than $250k. They’re superb cars to drive and own and should be a basis of any modern Ferrari collection imo.

Mikeroch, FORZA 62 and Skippr1999 like this.
  20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You make money when you buy. At today’s inflated prices.. good luck with that. And an F1 (same clutch and tcu as on many cars here) challenge is good.. but I’d rather have non-F1 car. Tell me the clutch doesn’t give the same issues as a regular 360. ;) And to the regular guy at C+C... it’s just a 360 with stick on stripes.

one4torque, EastMemphis and kes7u like this.
  21. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    You don’t buy it for comments you may get from posers at C&C. You buy it for the sum of the parts that make it a Ferrari great! It’s the driving experience that blows other 360 variants away. It’s a truly special car and the clutch is perfectly fine.

MAD828, Mikeroch, Twosherpaz and 5 others like this.
  22. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    #22 Husker, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Once Ferraris reach 20 years old, they begin appreciating gradually.

360s are common, yes, but only by Ferrari standards. Over time, they flood, burn, or are totaled. The remaining ones are going to go up, way up, over the next 15 years.

I recall buying an ‘82 308 GTSi for $21K. Everyone said “that’s a poor man’s Ferrari - it’s mass built and they are everywhere.” I sold it for $27K on eBay years ago.

Price out an ‘82 GTSi now.

Pretty much the same story for the Dino.

A Ferrari wouldn’t be in the top 5 of my investment options, but a fellow could do a heck of a lot worse.

Vegas CS and vinny84 like this.
  23. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I find it comical that you would put the CS and the 360 even in the same post. Laughable. I mean, you seriously look at the two and see ANYTHING remotely similar? Sort of like comparing a Ferrari with a Gremlin.

I understand that the CS is a better car. But when I hear comments that the 2 have NOTHING to do with one another, methinks thou doth protest too much. Quite a length to go to justify your purchase, which should not be necessary.

Kevin

vinny84 likes this.
  24. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well here is a list of differences between the two just for sake of the argument:

Updated Front bumper
    Updated rear bumper
    Rear diffuser
    Sharper Side skirts
    Underbody tray (50% lighter than Modena)
    Lexan back window with Carbon Fiber grills and braces
    Lexan side windows optional outside US
    Thinner and lighter windshield
    Titanium lugnuts
    Titanium springs
    Carbon Fiber door panels, sills, center console
    Carbon Fiber seat shells
    Carbon Fiber intake filter boxes
    Carbon Fiber mirrors
    Carbon Fiber panels (water shields) in engine compartment
    Indented gas door with polished cavallino
    CCM brakes
    19" Challenge style wheels
    Pirelli Corsa tires
    Low back pressure exhaust
    Titanium exhaust tips
    Launch Control
    Mass air flow sensor upgrade
    Valve spring positioning
    Claimed special engine component selection, machining and polishing
    New engine and F1 transmission mapping firmware

Rear engine lid (had revised more protruding 'nulder' for downforce)
    Uprated clutch (to handle Launch Control)
    Uprated drive-shafts (to handle Launch Control)
    Engine bay to passenger compartment glass - thinner, lighter.
    Due to fitment of CF engine panels and CS sports exhaust, they also a pair of fitted heat shields
    Free flowing air box resonator (less airflow restriction)
    The MAF (Mass Airflow Sensors) a pair of bigger ones where used to stop air restrictions at the very top end of the revs (for squeezing the last few bhp out).
    Dashboard instrumentation fascia clocks revised, rev counter in bright yellow
    Dashboard instrumentation fascia cover in carbon
    Dashboard heater controls fascia cover in carbon (smaller, deleing stereo space)
    Dashboard lower (revised, deleting glovebox and stereo box, less weight)
    New s/w for dash clocks (including CCM brakes wear algorithm and race mode graphics among other updates)
    New s/w for suspension tcu
    New s/w for abs controller (in addition to the already noted ignition ecu's (pair) and transmission ecu)
    New s/w settings for throttle maps (much more sensitive)
    New s/w settings for valve opening (opens later than on a Modena)

*Optional deletion of the radio (weight saving)
    *Optional selection of Carbon seat size (small, medium or large)
    *Optional choice of racing seat belt harnesses (not all markets)
    *Optional lightweight CS specific Aluminum roll over bar (Modena one was made from Steel)

On the blueprinting of the engine, all 360's engines were blueprinted but to within 2% tolerances when bench tested. On the CS that tolerance was down to just 0.5% so the selection of pistons, connecting rods, etc. was obviously more precise hence CS's should be virtually identical in power between one and another (from factory), this will change somewhat as they get miles under their wheels and depending on how well looked after they are.

Revised ABS calibration (software, abs kicks in less easily)
    Revised Electronic Suspension mapping (software), normal replaced with sport, race added.
    Revised Ignition Maps (more power)
    Revised Throttle Maps (sharper, more sensitive)
    Revised Software in Dashboard (including algorithm for CCM wear)
    Uprated rear anti-roll bar (uprated 20% and hollow for less weight, improved handling, less pitch and roll, improved rear end control, same as used on 430 Scuderia)
    Uprated anti-roll bar bushes (from 360 Challenge cars, improved handling at expense of some ride quality)
    Uprated upper and lower arm bushes (from 360 Challenge cars, improved handling at expense of some ride quality)
    *Replacement lower arms from later chassis numbers (stops cracking problems from the stiffer chassis)
    Uprated damper bushes (from 360 Challenge cars, improved handling at expense of some ride quality)
    Uprated driveshafts (lighter and stronger to survive launch control)
    Uprated Clutch (slightly uprated, improved longevity)
    Revised Ride height (front lower than rear for improved aero, lower center of gravity, overall lower than 360)
    Revised Geometry settings (better handling)

tres55, Twosherpaz, Vegas CS and 3 others like this.
  25. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    And put it right next to an ol’ clunker base 360, and 99 out of 100 people don’t know the difference. A Ferrari is a Ferrari.

Stealthssfc and EastMemphis like this.