VETTEL / ALONSO | FerrariChat

VETTEL / ALONSO

Discussion in 'F1' started by ginoBBi512, Mar 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #1 ginoBBi512, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Why pray tell didnt Vettel just retire, instead of joining a team that will just remain a backmarker at best? Why did Alonso come back to F1 , just to join another bottom tier team ? He was doing so good in the other race series, Vettel should have done the same thing. Do they really need the money ?Its pretty pathetic to see two such great champions get back in the ring just to get their heads punched in and their teeth knocked out . So what if Louis H has 7 titles, outside of Vellel, and maybe max, hes been winning against an untalented grid, its that simple. Seventy five percent of the drivers / teams in F1 should not even be there.

Thank you

johnireland likes this.
  2. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ehh...

Maybe they actually enjoy f1....

Maybe they all have the dream of taking a back marker team and making it a champion. It's easy to drive the fastest car to a win... That's why I'm not overly impressed with hamilton.

To be honest I was not a vettle fan either. The guy is fast but his car was the fastest. He spent so much time at the front he never learned to pass or what it was like to be pushed hard. When he was at red bull it was his race to lose and that's a completely different mindset and skill set.

I know I'm in the minority here but I respect him for trying to turn aston into something.

It will likely be a very unwise move... But I'm good with it

3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Also what is like to add... Or rather forgot to say is...

Alonso and vettle etc... These guys must love it because it doesn't make sense for them to do to their ego.

Think about it they are both world champions.

They did it.

They have been to the top.

They for sure don't need the money.

It's not a great schedule... It's a tough life.

They must truly love it. And for that I love them for it.

I was never a fan of either. But when I think about them doing it for the love of racing or a challenge to themselves I really really like them and will cheer them on... Which is something I never personally did before.

What a life.

stavura, Hawkeye, WilyB and 2 others like this.
  4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Thank you for your input, I have to disagree, he and Webber as well as others, had some pretty good battles, and why cant more teams have a great driver and a great car, did you see the Moto GP race yesterday ? !! It makes F1 look as boring as a soap opera.

Thank you

technom3 likes this.
  5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I suppose they have not anything else to do at home. They´re relatively young, they have not done anything else in their lives apart from driving, and if they stop now, they probably won´t be back, so they have to squeeze the few Formula 1 years they have left.

Anyway, Alonso already has won at sports cars, doing more "Formula Toyota" wouldn´t add much to his life. And Vettel has a lot to proove.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

So, according to you, the championship should be be run with only 3 teams and 6 drivers ?

Senna1994 likes this.
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Vettel has proven he cant adapt to new cars too well and defeat by younger team-mate 100% so far( Ricci-Charles). Tossed 2 titles at Ferrari and cannot drive effectively or consistently under pressure.

Not sure what is left.................certainly not the legacy, weaker by the race.

Senna1994, ingegnere and paulchua like this.
  8. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    ingegnere likes this.
  9. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #9 ginoBBi512, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Hello, thank you for you response, I think what I was trying to say, is that when it comes to all of the teams at the back, they are so slow and so far behind Red Bull and Mercedes, why cant they be replaced by people that can build a car and hire a driver that can run at the front. why is F1 mainly about 3 teams and 6 drivers ? Why is it, that Moto GP has at least 8-10 riders / teams that have the ability to win ? If not more . If F1 has become so technologically advanced, and I believe it has, then maybe thats the reason. Something is drastically wrong when one team is winning everything, year after year, after year, like I said before, its the same as when Ferrari was winning all the time. I think Alonso should try his hand at rally car racing, same for Vettel .In the 50s. Enzo Ferrari was quoted as saying racing is 60% car, and 40 % driver, now its seems like its 80 % car and 20 % driver.I mean there is not even a driver out there who can come close to all of the other records Hamilton has set, most laps lead for instance, are you kidding me ? No other driver on the entire grid has even come close in 8 years, seems like a 2-3 team show anyhow, if that. F1 has become a farce, its that simple.

Thank you

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I think that is more like 90% car and 10%. As John Surtees said of Hamilton, "he is the better driver in the best car."
    Yes F1 has become a farce.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  11. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Lots of stupid in the world. They still used fuel. Said fuel usage still created CO2.

ingegnere likes this.
  12. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador

I agree with you there. That is why Schumacher career is even more laudable. He was a two time WC and went on Ferrari that had been
    in the doldrums since the 80s and pushed them to the top, and it took them a couple of years. It's not that as soon as he was there they
    became winners.

Now in the case of the two drivers mentioned, Alonso knew that this was a back-to-F1 year, and if two or three podiums happened he would
    be satisfied. Next year is when the bets are of with the completely new regulations. All in all, judge them next year. Alpine will use his knowledge
    during the year to get the maximum for next year.

As for Vettel, my guess is that he's not a very adaptable driver, one who changes his style to get most of the car. The fact that AM is
    suffering the most for this year change in the regulations doesn't help. He needs to learn quick to be closer and beat Stroll.

13. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Both Alonzo and Vettel got their championships years ago...and then they were never able to close the deal again. Doesn't matter the reasons, they didn't do it, they no longer have what it takes, their careers as winners are well behind them. Their values to their current teams are purely PR...attracting sponsors who don't know any better. Today they bring nothing to the sport, their driving skills are now mid-field at best...at the very best...with the wind at their backs and on a very good day. As good as the race was, I still found myself fast-forwarding through sections. I know I'm getting old. Maybe F1 is as well.

william and ginoBBi512 like this.
  14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I'm always perplexed how people say things in such absolute terms... That they no longer have what it takes. I see it as so short sided.

They clearly had it while the rookies you don't know if they will ever have it.

Hawkeye and Senna1994 like this.
  15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Alonso beat his way younger team mate. Just one race, and Ocon was unlucky with the yellow flags, and well, it´s Ocon... but at least it shows that he still can do the job.

About Vettel, well, let´s give him A FEW MORE races...

Senna1994, jpalmito and 375+ like this.
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You cannot compare F1 and MotoGP. These series have different histories, different cultures and offer different challenges.
    F1 is far more technically advanced than MotoGP, which is depending more on the human factor.

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Indeed.

18. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Alonso qualified and drove well, what’s not to like.
    Next year, well, who knows, all bets might be off.

Can’t say the same for Seb though.

Senna1994, DF1 and 375+ like this.
  19. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    +1 on both scores

635CSI likes this.
  20. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I can think of roughly 17 million reasons I wouldn't retire if I was vettel.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But if that's the only reason he stays in F1, it will soon show.

Lawrence Stroll will be a fool to keep him once he finds out.

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    And then Ferrari drop him like a stone 2 years too early.......and see where Ferrari has been since, 1 WDC from Kimi and a lot of also rans.

23. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Vettel - Berger is telling you to leave.....................https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/vettel-not-good-handling-f1-pressure-berger/5989510/

Vettel struggling to handle F1 pressure - Berger
    By: Andrew van Leeuwen
    Mar 30, 2021, 11:27 AM
    Pressure is to blame for Sebastian Vettel's ongoing run of relatively poor form, says former Formula 1 driver Gerhard Berger.

Vettel made an inauspicious start to life as an Aston Martin driver in Bahrain last weekend, the German classified 15th after being penalised for a late-race collision with Esteban Ocon's Alpine.

That was after he started the race from the back of the field, a Q1 exit compounded by a five-place grid penalty for a yellow flag infringement.

The disappointing showing added to ongoing run of poor form for the four-time world champion, who spent the past two seasons in the shadow of teammate Charles Leclerc at Ferrari.

According to 10-time grand prix winner Berger the issue for Vettel is pressure, the German at his best when he's in a clear team leader role and not being pushed by the other side of there garage.

"Sebastian is a four-time world champion so he's one of the outstanding drivers, no question," Berger told the In the Fast Lane podcast.

"But he never reacted well under pressure. Remember when Daniel [Ricciardo] came to Red Bull [he] was very strong and he put pressure on Sebastian. For Sebastian it was difficult to cope with it. In Ferrari it was the same thing.

"I just feel when you watch him, you feel he's not free. He's not relaxed enough. He's trying to prove things that, at this moment, aren't possible because the car isn't good enough or his own form isn't good enough.

"When you're in this situation you need to sit down, take a step back and say 'well, take it easy and the success is going to come again'.

"In saying that he's at the end of his career too. When you've done so many races, when you're already a four-time world champion, then comes a point when maybe you're not in a situation where you want to take all the risks, where you fight like you would fight before you won any races.

24. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Alonso is better than Vettel. Even after retirement.

Hawkeye and 375+ like this.
  25. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    If Alonso beat Ocon then it will be no excuse for Schumacher getting beat by Rosberg. If he does'nt, its still no excuse.