F8 or STO? | Page 67 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    free paint + matte PPF? Seems to me that is the way to go....considering the price for OEM matte colors.
    Our Atlas Grey Audi RS6 Avant is having that treatment and it should look stellar.

2. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    That is definitely the right way to go, but if you have ever seen a Lamborghini with matte PPF over gloss paint side by side with a Lamborghini with factory matte paint, you would no doubt have been stunned by the difference. Nero Noctis is free, and could be covered in matte PPF, but it will not look like Nero Pulso or Nero Nemesis. It just won’t. Now whether it will look good enough, that is the open question for me.

3. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
  4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    My dealer is pushing me to finalize my spec this week, and I don’t think I’m going to be able to do it. I just can’t make a decision. I am drawing a complete blank. I had zero problem spec’ing my Performante, 812, and 765LT. For whatever reason, I can’t find my lane with the STO. Nothing is speaking to me, and I don’t want to spend $400 and not be happy. I know, first world problems.

Jo Sta7, Spider68 and ScrappyB like this.
  5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Same.

Jo Sta7 and Thecadster like this.
  6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
  7. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I wouldn't rush it and risk squandering the opportunity to get the spec right. It doesn't help that the online configurator seems to be very flattering to the point where nearly every colour looks good. Perhaps the renderings on the dealer configurator are more true to life?

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    We are car guys. These issues are vital to us. So long as we do not pull a Meaghan Markle, it is completely understandable.

09Scuderia likes this.
  9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    GPF or not, I’m actually glad to be further back in the line. I’ll have the benefit of seeing several ‘in the flesh’ before I need to decide. I absolutely understand your frustration, and with only the reveal to look at, you’re having to take a leap of food faith that this is something you’ll jump for joy when you see it for the first time.

I don’t find the configurator all that useful with colors....most look just fine.....but this could be an easy car to screw up.

09Scuderia likes this.
  10. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    not to mention real world road tests.....the new GT3/ RS seem to have skipped ahead a few generations. If the GT3 for less than half the cost of the STO beats it in terms of performance the STO may never become truly 'special'. This car must be extraordinary.

Bobby_P and wthensler like this.
  11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I meant ‘good faith’ instead of ‘food faith’ , but we’ve all had to do both, lol. The GT3 is intriguing and will undoubtedly offer a lot of car for the money. 6 speed or PDF? Hmmmmm......

Unfortunately Porsche hasn’t been able to keep the Italians value conscious, but it could exert damage in ways you mention.

PS: I trust it’ll beat a 458....this guy struggled a bit coming off Tail of the Dragon......but I think he was perhaps a bit passive, and maybe not the car.

12. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    LOVE the whole Tail of the Dragon area....total dreamscape roads for anyone who loves driving.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    MMMM that M3 is the best!

14. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Something happened to this guy (I didn’t know them) on the spirited ride out. I’d passed him and was poised to strike on the RS3, when the M3 suddenly disappeared out of the rear mirror, I don’t know if it was mechanical or worse, but the Porsche guy pulled over. I hope he was ok.

15. Lou Gigliotti

Lou Gigliotti Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 2, 2013
    Princeton Texas
    Full Name:
    Lou Gigliotti
  16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Ouch.
    I’d take the E92 M3 all day on a twisty road over the 458/488 if I were most interested in putting distance between the others. Having owned them all extensively, the M is just far more planted. Now once the road opens up, that M3 V8 just doesnt have it sadly.

wthensler likes this.
  17. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    So got word today my STO is in production and status 60 whatever that means. Delivery ETA is July but if there's any delays it'll be a Sept delivery because factory is closed in August for summer break.

Shack, 09Scuderia, Jcmd and 2 others like this.
  18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Declined my spot for the STO. Ultimately found the design too busy/am more interested in acquiring another spyder/roadster.

19. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    As the penguins in the Madagascar movie said "well that sucks"

dustman likes this.
  20. ring007

ring007 Karting

Oct 13, 2008
    I voted with my wallet. Passed on F8 and ordering a STO. Should be a blast at COTA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Ordering our STO next week....wish us luck not going crazy.

22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    You have spec in mind?