New Ferrari "Manual Transmission"... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New Ferrari "Manual Transmission"...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Doc_Dent, Mar 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    For the street, torque is more important than horsepower. Torque rolls your eyeballs back. Horsepower gives you speed.

This is why a push-rod V-8 is a cool motor. Just put your foot into it.

2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ It's all personal preference. For acceleration, horsepower is king.

Now if you're the kind of guy that likes to loaf around flooring it at 3000 rpm an engine built for low end torque is probably better for you.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. mpxland

mpxland Rookie

Oct 18, 2014
    New Ferraris are too powerful for manual transmissions.
    The 599 was too powerful for the last of manual offerings.
    Even the rumored Ferrari 6 cylinder will have about 650 hp, that is too much for stick.
    I love my 360 manual , I enjoy it better than my F430 with F1.
    I enjoy my 308, although Hyundai's of the world can beat me at a red light , there is something magic between the gated shifter and that Ferrari pixie dust feel.

Little Joe and Texas Forever like this.
  4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ Having driven 1500hp cars with a manual trans I have to disagree.

5. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

This is the main reason no modern Ferrari remotely interests me. Notice a theme in my cars?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bonus points to anyone who can name them all...

jackals4, Ajax de 1e, PiersR and 3 others like this.
  6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    But you shouldn't be using all that hp on the street.

7. Cobra Steve

Cobra Steve Rookie

May 13, 2010
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Stephen 427
    Call me the oddball or dinosaur of this group, but I'll keep my manuals, thank you. It's all part of the driving "experience" and while under the guise of improving performance, the real reason for the "automatics/paddle shifts" is cost, in my humble opinion. I love my 328 as it is the last of the ANALOG Ferraris. Truth be told, I get just as much of a kick out of driving my Cobra which is raw in comparison to 328, or one of my Triumphs even if they are significantly slower. It's all about having fun and wringing out the last bit of power from the powerplant no matter its size. Having a car with a third pedal makes me feel more connected and in control of the machine as I must pay attention not to over-rev lest I damage the engine.

With all of that said, I'm contemplating buying a Ford Model T. It also has three pedals but only one functions in a familiar manner.

8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Noted Dad

;)

Jaguar36 and Texas Forever like this.
  9. PiersR

PiersR Rookie

Feb 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    Piers Ronan
    great game! I should be great at this but top left is a mystery to me... feels Not European (?), others very easy: F355, 993, 992

10. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nice work! And actually, it is European... Does this help?

...yes, I am a nerd who just got a new camera...

PiersR likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    90% of the folks will say they will buy a manual.
    When the sales report actually comes in; 90% purchase the DCT.

technom3 and Boomhauer like this.
  12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Well except for the gt3 at 70% manual

paulchua and Doc_Dent like this.
  13. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    #64 Doc_Dent, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    That is weird honestly.
    I would understand that years ago.. when DCT and even early "F1 shifting" before, were the "new thing" in town respectively.
    But today, with INFALTED prices in general , I would be happy to get a "3 pedal" of a certain model "if I have the option" at the moment, so I could -at least- try to justify to my self paying up the difference with this crazy inflation that has been very clear during the past few years...

A little example:
    A Brand-New early 2000s Porsche "Turbo S" was around less than HALF +- the price of a Brand-New 2021 Turbo S today!

What I am trying to say is,
    a "3 pedal" seems a good BUY considering the low production of them compared to the "DCT EVERYWHERE" thing, so that would be a bonus if you choose a "3 pedal" IMO (or that is what I like to think and convince my self with):).

paulchua likes this.
  14. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    There is no logical explanation for me to get a new GT3 other than MANUAL!
    If PDK is the choice, take a Turbo S IMO.
    (BTW, I have nothing against PDK, and was surprised by the mesmerising power of this thing when I test drove a friend's new Turbo S lately).
    But a GT3 "manual" is the correct recipe in my dictionary now that they are offering it.

INTMD8 likes this.
  15. rolvail

rolvail Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    Rol Hamelin
    Basically they are different driving experiences. I have 3 F1’s and then the Manual 550.
    Twice a year when I return to the 550 in Italy my heart jumps with joy! But with the F1 there is also a wonderful experience.

Doc_Dent and jackals4 like this.
  16. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    15 years ago manuals didn't sell because paddles were latest and greatest.

Now with there being 100% market saturation of paddles in exotic car segment you'd think at least one brand would think of making an offering.

If Ferrari made a mid engined V12 manual their order books would be full forever

Texas Forever and Doc_Dent like this.
  17. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    If there is no demand for a manual transmission then how does that explain people willing to pay a premium for gated cars. Remember the F1 versions of those cars cost more, yet are now worth less, so I would say the demand is there.
    Now maybe the demand is there because there are many people like myself who grew up dreaming of owning a Ferrari and grew up loving cars, working on them , building them etc, and a new Ferrari is just out of their price range. So given the choice the enthusiast will choose the manual transmission car. American muscle cars are no different.Those were originally sold as daily driver, some even family cars. The majority of cars were sold with an automatic transmission but today the most desirable and expensive versions all have manual transmissions. The only reasons I have heard of some older guys wanting to get away from their manual transmission cars is because they have bad knees. I think there are many F1 owners who could not drive a manual car.

18. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The reason we chose 4 speed manuals in our muscle cars was because automatics from the late '60's early '70's were terrible. We called them slush boxes. Unless you had them rebuilt by a specialty shop like B&M Hydro they simple didn't work well for performance driving. Almost impossibly to 'burn rubber' with an stock automatic or get a good 1/4 mile time.
    I think a good part of the demand for the last of the gated Ferrari's is that they are perceived as a 'good' investment due to limited production numbers and being the last of their kind.
    BTW, I'm an older guy that has an F1 in my Scud and I'm sure I could out drive most in a manual having raced a 6 speed manual Porsche 993 for 11 yrs. with every downshift done with heal and toe under threshold braking, not to mention 1.25 g's of deacceleration and someone on your ass waiting for you to make a mistake. I have no problem with people wanting to shift manually. I think there fun too...just not for driving fast on the street or track.

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Which begs the question: Why don't the manufacturers make manuals that auto blip the throttle for down shifts?

20. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

My Porsche 992 has that. As someone with two perfectly functional feet I find it annoying and stay out of that mode.

Texas Forever and INTMD8 like this.
  21. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    90% of Ferrarichat say they will buy a manual.
    It's probably true.
    But Ferrarichat-type enthusiasts probably DO only represent 10% of all buyers nowadays.

Sports car manufacturers pivoted to appeal to fashionistas as global wealth blossomed over the last 15 years and culture evolved into a materialism arms-race. They gave the people what they want. Obnoxious, gaudy, loud, and expensive.

The good thing for us is that there are literally a million great 911's floating around, many many thousands of great Ferrari, and hundreds of thousands of extremely engaging sports cars from BMW, Lamborghini, and many other more boutique brands across the various generations that span from the '60s-90s. To me, 2005 is the cutoff, with very few exceptions.

paulchua and Texas Forever like this.
  22. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I noticed that my local BMW dealer has 2 M3/4s in stock that are manual transmissions. I've never seen them actually stock a manual in the last 10 years. They were always special order only before. As EVs have taken over from a pure performance standpoint, perhaps we'll start to see traditional carmakers pivot to a more engaging driver experience including 3 pedals!

Stealthssfc and Texas Forever like this.
  23. Little Joe

Little Joe Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2004
    Mahwah, NJ
    Full Name:
    Joe S.
    My brother's manual transmission Camaro ZL1 has that feature.

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yes! I remember Vandezande saying it was way higher than he expected, especially when regular 911 are at 9-1 ratio.

Maybe there's hope after all!

:)

INTMD8 likes this.