812 SF replaced my 458 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

812 SF replaced my 458

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Ngcanada, Mar 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    So, I had it out for the first time a few hours ago....wow. Holy smokes, this is exactly what I was looking for to replace the exhilarating and highly stimulating 458. I am ecstatic that I went with this. It gives me the giggles and “OMG” out loud response from me. I picked up my brother and we went for a drive for about 1 hour. We both are impressed on how it doesn’t feel big as it looks. It’s very deceiving. I drove in sport for about 5km and then it was in race the rest of the time. Definitely my preferred and will be my go to. I am blown away on how it puts down all the horsepower. It’s controllable and predictable for me. And the sound....trumpets at full throttle, just sublime and something that needs to be experienced, words just are not enough. I am glad this is what I chose to replace the 458.....the F8 was a huge disappointment for me, and I realize that there are many happy F8 owners, and there should be, the car is a technological marvel with very good looks, but just not a thrill for me to drive. Anyway, this car is a tough one to replace one day. For now and the next few years, it’s mine to experience and adore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wikdstrate, Roman456, junc and 7 others like this.
  2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations! The 812 is mega!!

430jm likes this.
  3. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Glad you clicked it to race mode so quick. It is much more fun in race than sport. Don’t be afraid to try and push it in wet mode when it’s wet out. The shifts are a bit smooth/slow feeling, but the traction control is serious wizardry.

Glad you are enjoying it! It’s a seriously fun car, and meant to be enjoyed

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Amazing and glad to hear!

5. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That is a beautiful car! I have both a 458 Spider and an 812SF. Both very different but I find myself reaching for the 458 keys more often because I like the open top experience. I also prefer how the 458 drives over the 812. The steering is too fast on the 812 and to me is nervous while driving fast which makes me nervous. Brakes are better on the 812 though by far. My 991.2 GT3 drives better than both especially when going fast but it's the most uncomfortable car I have and I'm not a fan of the 6 cylinder engine note.

Anyway, I'm rambling and did I mention your 812 is beautiful!

430jm likes this.
  6. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Completely agree. Sold mine after 200 miles.

JasonN and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    beauty is right!!! cant wait to hear the reviews..

8. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Have you had your 812 aligned? If you have not had it aligned yet, give that a shot. Also, try changing the tires to Michelin Pilot 4S if it is on the Pirellis- the Pirelli are good tires but the Michelin are fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have not had it aligned and it came with Pirelli's (458 has Michelin's). It has 1500 miles on it and I bought it new. I'll have them align it when it goes in for it's annual service. Thanks for the tip!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I will be putting Michelin’s on here in the next few days. I think I’ll have it aligned immediately after as well. I’m curious if it’s slightly out of spec. Currently on Continental DWS06, and the steering feels like the toe in the front isn’t quite right.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I think there is likely to be a big improvement with Michelin’s.

12. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    I always remember you and another couple of members who state that the alignment does wonders and as well the switch from Pirelli to Michelin. This is exactly what I am going to do.....I think I am going to go through the Pirelli faster than I thought!!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    A number of years ago I had an Evora S. It was known that after transport from factory and after break-in the cars usually had to go in for alignment. Something about the cars settling in after assembly. I wonder if that is the case for 812/some other cars as well

Caeruleus11 and SeattleStew like this.
  14. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    When they transport cars they strap them down and this can shift the alignment. After my first 1000 miles on my 812 I began to really push it and I thought the handling was just a little bit inconsistent relative to steering inputs. I had them align the car and I was surprised at the readout on the machine- I would have never realized the alignment was so far out before- it was mostly toe I think. Anyway afterwards the car was less darty going straight on the highway and more consistent through tight corners. I know its a bit of a pain and another thing to do, but if you really want to get the most out of the car or if there is something that is bothering you in terms of it feeling darty/ maybe not consistent through tight bends with steering input and handling reactions, an alignment is relatively cheap to make the most out of your expensive supercar. And change the tires too.

Eilig, TSOYBELIS and day355 like this.
  16. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    To get the alignment, I guess I can go to any high performance shop. My Ferrari dealer is 200km away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You should be able to do that so long as they have the specs for the car and I think its always good to have a tech who is familiar with the kind of car they are working on. My opinion is its mostly science, but there is a little art. My dealer's tech understands how I like to drive and he will just nudge the setup so I enjoy it more- just a touch more neutral.

18. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Make sure they can handle rear wheel steering and I also believe they need to be able to set the steering angle sensor.

Toe is usually what makes it feel darty. I believe it’s too much toe in. Agreed 100%, get an alignment if you are feeling this! I have a moderate amount of it, and I think the front left wheel is more out of alignment than front right

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I gotta admit I'm a bit jealous. The roads around Ottawa are where I learned how to drive. I had planned to ship my 812 out there last summer to attend the Ferrari Club 2020 meetup at Mt Tremblant and I was going to hang out in the area driving the old roads. I don't miss the OPP though!