F1 commits to hybrid power units for next generation of engines | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F1 commits to hybrid power units for next generation of engines

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Nov 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I was answering to SimCity3 about riding in London.
    But I am sure cycling on other regions can bring different challenges at you correctly point out.
    It's not a serious alternative for many.

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    When are they finally going to mandate ice, mguk and mguh to be completely modular and fully compatible among different manufacturers?
    That way if someone wants to enter F1 as ice supplier only teams don’t have to worry about the electric part but be entitled to pick choose the existing ones they prefer at a fixed cost.

Bas likes this.
  3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Uh, never!

And don't forget the piles of software that make the 4 components run properly for 6 races each.

william likes this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Whatever happened to that cheap engine the FIA was introducing....?

5. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    Every major car manufacturer is now focusing on electric cars, why would any of them invest a lot anymore in a hybrid engine??

And we are talking about 2026 when electric cars will be even more popular than now.

In my opinion F1 should really consider becoming electric cars, challenge the engineers to massively improve the battery and benefit the road cars.

Make an electric F1 that is faster than the current F1, that should be the goal of 2026!

6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ummmmm, so what is Formula E for then??:)

william likes this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

ICE vehicles won't disappear so quickly. They will share the market with EVs for a while.

Bas likes this.
  8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Who would possibly watch that?

Thank god Formula E have the rights for electric single seaters. Those that want to watch electric cars, tune in to that idiocy.

F1 with electric only ''engines'' will ensure the sports entire fanbase will disappear.

vinuneuro likes this.
  9. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    I see FE as a pilot program. And seeing how many car manufacturers are already participating or are going to participate, you can see how popular electric car racing will be.

I'm not sure the budget difference between a FE team and a F1 team, but I think with the bright mind and resources of F1, electric car development will be so much faster compared to FE.

william likes this.
  10. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    I agree that they will co exist. But what is F1 standing for? Embracing the future or celebrating the past? If not enough teams/car manufacturers want to participate F1 then maybe F1 should change in a way to attract more car manufacturers.

11. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    If a electric F1 is faster than the current F1, and more interesting teams will join (e.g Porsche, BMW) I don't think the fan base will decrease.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

FE has to develop to gain credibility

- Allow more technical freedom to obtain more battery range, more power, etc ...
    - Race on circuits rather than in town, so the performance can be measured against ICE series.
    - Change the race format to something more inventive like having several short heats, 1/4 final, 1/2 final and the main race, for example.

13. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    Agree. And this thread is about 2026, still 5 years to go. I'm expecting big improvement of FE car performance in 5 years. F1 can push that further in a faster rate.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    F1 could embrace the future by demonstrating the validity of alternative fuels (bio, ethanol, methanol, hydrogen, etc..) in a new generation of ICE engines.

jpalmito likes this.
  15. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    Do car manufacturers want a new generation of ICE engines? Especially from 2026 on?

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    There was a different race happening over the last 25 or so years, laptops and phones wanted lighter and longer lasting batteries all this time. There really isn't that much more to get from these things.

FE cars are so much slower than Formula 1, it's incomparable. They are slower than F3 cars. So to be as fast as current F1 cars, or even early 90s F1 cars...is a very, very long way off...and even so, I doubt you would get many people itnerested.

I'm 100% convinced if F1 would go full electric route I could set up a ICE based ''GP1'' series that would get far more viewers.

Beau365 likes this.
  17. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    375+ likes this.
  18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It is not just the slowness, it is that they batteries can't last the whole 2 hour race !!

Bas likes this.
  19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    And that's on very small tracks. I do wonder how long a Formula E car will last on a proper race track at race speeds.

20. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    #70 pilotoCS, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Development of batteries both in power and duration is what it's all about. That's the future of "motoring", if you can still call it that, in a nutshell.

Bas likes this.
  21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Absolutely

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    At the moment !

Batteries haven't benefited from 120 years of constant development like the ICE had, but they are catching up pretty fast !

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    But the problem with that is, Lithium batteries are already near their end of development, they're already operating very close to their maximum specific energy. So all they can really do is extend range bit by bit by manipulating it with computers, but the gains at this point aren't much anymore.

The only way to get significant more range is by simply fitting more batteries or invent a new battery altogether.

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    They are working on it !!

25. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    OK . . . . that's what I said. I'll also admit that for normal road use, especially in rural areas, high efficiency ICE engines still have a place in this world. So they won't be totally eliminated in spite of pledges by the likes of Jaguar that will go totally electric by 2025. Jaguar is small potatoes.

375+ and Bas like this.