The real F40 with VIN 90969? (2nd is 85397) | Page 15 | FerrariChat

The real F40 with VIN 90969? (2nd is 85397)

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Aircon, Jan 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Andial likes this.
  2. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    If I am not mistaken he used to post here as well with some regularity a few years ago.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    are there any historical advertisements of the blue car being listed? wld be interesting to know what price the car traded for during its blue life. i wld have to imagine the first question regarding a non red f40 is "when did it get the color change?"

4. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    There are a couple companies that crawl and take snapshots of the Internet and websites, in the past with a lot of work I have been able to go through old archives/snapshots and find details of what I'm looking for that had been removed. I can not remember the name but you can find it with some google searches.

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Curious if the last buyer of the blue car got in at 600k or 1.2m. Might not be as disastrous as it seems.

6. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Not if the serial number found under the fake number belongs to a stolen car.

7. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If you watch the YouTube video with MrJWW the guy in Dubai talks about having it painted.

Then I believe he was the same owner when it was recently for sale.

May the Horse be with you

8. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    It is an interesting conundrum if the car was here in the UK on consignment by its Dubai based owner.

Why bring it to the UK and have to pay duties in the hope a UK buyer will take it up, these are world cars so just as practical to sell out of the Middle East without incurring those purely UK costs?

Also to UK register a car you have to have a UK address, again why take on that additional hassle when the car could then end up anywhere anyway, it nearly went straight on to the US as we know.

None of it adds up.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i def have my popcorn ready

10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Not sure the car was actually registered in the UK, it seems there is some belief the UK is a good place to put cars for sale - Vettel did not put his cars for sale in Switzerland.

11. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    It was seen by an fchat member on a track day in the UK ( pics on previous page) and the claim in the advert was that the car was UK registered, then again they also said it had the red book! It may well have come in on a temp import though

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #362 miurasv, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    I believe the Vettel cars were still located in Switzerland when offered for sale by UK dealer Tom Hartley Junior.

tomgt likes this.
  13. Collesano

Collesano Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    England UK
    Re. post #360

From Kaaimans' description : "The car is currently being UK registered with all taxes paid" (Might just have been sales talk though...)

The advert was left on PistonHead for a while after they withdrew the car, but have since been removed.

I guess ch,nr. 90969 have never been on the DVLA register. But maybe the car have, with the original ch.nr.??

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    and there is the rub.
    IF it was an accident car and needed to be rebuilt, the parts collection to do so can be explained, and the value is diminished but not zero.
    but IF the car was stolen many years ago, and somewhere along the way has been camouflaged to appear legit, then there will be tears.
    i am starting to lean towards the latter as an explanation of all the unknowns so far.

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is correct that the Vettel cars recently sold thru Tom Hartley Junior were located in Switzerland.
    However: All that has zero to do with 90969 or that mysterious blue F40 in UK, just to make that very clear.

Marcel Massini

joe sackey likes this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so do we think the guy in the video is the crook or the deceived? i wld have to think he was duped, as why in the world would he go seek attention.

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i have to think you have already figured out who painted the car! i really hope it wasn't one of the stolen cars.

18. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I sort of doubt a guy in Dubai would use the ID of a car in Aus to clone an F40, I imagine that happened some time prior, either in Japan or Aus when both examples were under the umbrella of someone else.

The Dubai owner seems to be some sort of import/export type of guy, and probably picked it up rough/cheap in Japan and had the resto/paint work done in Italy to tidy it up, all along thinking it was actually 90969.

If Aircon had not seen both cars up for sale when he did, and started this thread, then it is highly unlikely to have been spotted either and would have stayed under the radar for now and the blue car would be heading to the US still bearing the ID of 90969

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    surprising that no one in italy noticed anything (if in fact the factory affiliates did the work)

20. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    that is correct
    Ecclestone connection with Vettel....

21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    B.E. wasn't involved in any shape or form in this sale and didn't even know that Vettel intended to sell some of his cars.

Marcel Massini

tomgt likes this.
  22. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    These images of the blue "90969", 84494 and 87531(?) are from the Supercar-Driver Michelin Secret Meet 2020 which was at Donington Park on 20 October 2020. The blue car was in the UK back then but could have been long gone before the car was advertised as being for sale. There are lots of images online of this event that show this car both on the track and stationary. However, there is no front number plate and no images showing the rear of the car to see if there is a rear plate. The guys from DK Engineering were at the event so perhaps were able to look at the car.

This image is from the DK website:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

LVP488 likes this.
  23. bakes17

bakes17 Karting

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    I’ve got loads of footage from the day as had the LaF in front and the F40 beside me on track- plus took this video of the cars lined up...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boomhauer likes this.
  24. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    So there is my answer! It does seem as though the Kaaiman's plate is covering another plate though. I had noticed that the blue F40 was parked behind the DK SWB for the group photo.

25. bakes17

bakes17 Karting

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    Doesn’t look like a UK plate though, looks white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk