355 - Stereo system | FerrariChat

355 Stereo system

Discussion in '348/355' started by 32 Ford, Feb 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Good day . I have noticed a lot of the F355 for sale have aftermarket stereo systems. As does the 1999 Spider I am thinking about buying. Were the stereo just broken easily and were replaced. A lot of car guy just upgrade the stereo as the years go by to get the latest in sound which is always improving. I am bit of a purist and would like an OEM stereo in this car. From researching this site it looks Like the 1999 came with a Becker #BE 4370. the earlier models came with a Sony XRF20. Any one have any in site as to were I might find a Becker/Ferrari stereo system? Might be unobtainable but doesn't hurt to ask. Ebay was a no show
    Thank
    Mike

2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Pretty much most F355 have the Sony XRF20 or later years had the XRF21RDS. I have seen some 99 with the Becker unit which was essentially what was fitted to the 360 so perhaps as the stock ran low there was a cross over point for the last spiders to have a Becker unit. The Becker is a lot easier to find for sale mind you.

3. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    DaisyCutter and Kokose7en like this.
  4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    While the Bremen SQR46 DAB is an awesome and lovely setup (I have one, but not in a 90s Ferrari), it's certainly not "period correct" looking for a late 90s car.

The original Blaupunkt Bremen SQR46 on which the new one is visually based was a mid-80s unit, around 86-87. (Mine will go in my 82 X1/9 or my 88 Alfa Spider)

It certainly would look the part in a 308/328 or TR or 400i.

5. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    My '99 came with the Sony radio. I bought a small pioneer amp that fits behind the dash and replace the stock speakers with some nice infinity replacements. Sounds pretty good now retains a completely stock look.

As for finding an original Sony, good luck that seems almost impossible lately

6. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    A stock "look" would be OK too. Does seem difficult to find that old stock stereo stuff. When I restored my Olds it took a while to find an OEM radio/cassette. Had it rebuilt and new NOS speakers. Really has that 70's sound to it. I'll work on buying the car first then worry about the stereo. Thanks for the replies

greg328 likes this.
  7. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Fair enough. I just would rather be leaning towards slightly older look than the space ship head units.

I'm open to suggestions...I have a Becker head unit from my 550 but I don't think it suits the 355 either.

Continental makes a nice unit but it's orange backlit and that would drive my OCD mental:
    https://www.continental-automotive.com/en-gl/Trucks-Buses/Interior-Cabin/Infotainment/Radios

and then there's the Clarion M508 (I have this unit on my boat) which is clean but again no RGB backlight adjustability:
    https://www.crutchfield.ca/S-F16q2xvCAY7/p_020M508/Clarion-M508.html

8. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    PhilB likes this.
  9. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I did the same, installed a Becker 430 head unit model 6501. I mounted an amp and the crossovers where the 6 pack CD player goes up front. I have all the original parts in a box. I made speaker boxes for the rear shelf and had them covered in matching leather, looks completely stock and is totally reversible.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

marioz and greg328 like this.
  10. 601

601 Karting

Dec 19, 2010
    California
    Nakamichi CD-400
    http://nakamichi.com/pfv/ICE/CDPlayer/CD400.htm

[​IMG]
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/141342367/

Occasionally comes up on ebay. CD mechanism is known to fail.

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
  12. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
  13. 601

601 Karting

Dec 19, 2010
    California
    The Blaupunkt looks good to me.

14. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    I am liking that Becker Cascade unit.

15. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    You can find them...just bonkers money. Over $2k it seems lately.

My first 355 had the Sony...I had planned to do the same thing as you kenney. I had a small Focal amp that I planned on mounting under the passenger seat. Also had shallow mount Focal speakers that fit in factory locations. Then i was going to run a bluetooth module for music streaming and plug it directly into the amp. This way everything looks factory.

My new 355 already has an aftermarket head unit in there...so I'm going to replace it with the Blaupunkt. If it had the original, I'd have gone the same route as I had planned for my first 355. All those goodies are in my 550 now though. :)

16. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Thats kickass. Nice work.

17. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    Agreed. That is what I installed in my car. For me, I just need some sound. Don't think anyone should expect audiophile quality. The Cascade has the ability to change the display color, and the green matches the dash lights perfectly. Also, the silver trim on the outside of the control knobs compliments the center gauges.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I actually have two spares. Will sell one for $500, shipped. PM me if interested.

19. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    It could be possible that it could be changed. I once had an Alpine 5905 standalone CD player that interfaced to the factory Peugeot (Alpine) stereo in my 405 Mi16. Thing is, all of the Alpines of that era (or maybe that model range) were green. I opened it up, replaced two green LEDs in the sliders with amber, changed all green mouse condoms to amber, and then the whole thing matched the Peugeot instrument and stereo lighting.

Makes me wonder how easily that Clarion could be made to light up green. Hmmmm......

20. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The Sony's have the ability to be orange or green.
    The green matches perfectly

Attached Files:

21. OutRun_

OutRun_ Rookie

Feb 24, 2021
    Switzerland
  22. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I tried one of these to improve the sound quality of the Becker I have installed and it looked so cheap lights on or off I couldn’t deal.

I bot one of these https://www.beckerautosound.com/upgrade-radios
    for I think a 4305 maybe a 6105? and I’m happy w how it looks and works. Also upgraded to some shallow depth focal speakers though I truly cannot believe how poor the audio quality is.

I though I held onto the original Sony but can’t figure out where it is :/

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  24. wilhit10

wilhit10 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I run the continental one and its good for the money. The orange face looks period correct(I know it doesn't match). The only thing I do not like is it does not have pre amp outputs.