Help. Texas DMV Rules & Laws | FerrariChat

Help. Texas DMV Rules & Laws

Discussion in 'Texas' started by ag512bbi, Jan 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Since I can't lease my zero credit College daughter a car in Texas because i'm not a resident of Texas and she lives in a dorm.
    If I ship her CA registered car down to Texas, Do I have to register it if it stays there 3.5 more years? Will she get pulled over for out of state plates? Am I suppose to pay a Tax once it gets there?
    Thank you in advance.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
  4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    There are about an equal number out of state plated cars as there are TX plated cars around TCU, but don't know if SMU is the same. State schools logically have fewer out of state plates (at least from what I've seen around UTA, UNT, A&M, etc, but I'not aware of it being an issue, in reality.

Texas Forever and ag512bbi like this.
  5. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    If the car is in your name just leave in California, I have a place in Texas and tried to register a motorcycle and car down there but since I don't have a Texas license they said No, so I just keep Colorado plates on them. Never been hassled, Heck if they want to throw away revenue that is fine with me, and I don't have inspections to deal with.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    My sons GF went to SMU and had a CA tagged car here the entire time. It got shipped back and forth a time or two, but always CA plates.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    I don’t think there will be any issues for her to drive a car with out of state plates. However, you should check with your insurance company to make sure any claim would not be denied. I know my insurance company asks me where my car is going to be “living”....