430 - Which is the BEST Carbon Diffuser for F430 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Which is the BEST Carbon Diffuser for F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ferrari1221, Jan 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I don't know what is meant by " tuner boy" but I stay away from any backing of CF that is painted.
    1. It's not needed and the back showing carbon confirms the process...at least for me.
    2. it adds weight ...it defeats the purpose of CF....
    3. if painted....it's probably because they used fiberglass as backing and tried to hide the fact.

Also, I treat this part as a wear item. My car is dropped pretty low and is aggressive for most and I bottoms out at times. I will have to replace it in time.

I gave you my info and opinions....good luck.

2. Ferrari1221

Ferrari1221 Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    Wow looks good, so which brand is that one? Funny in your last picture it almost looked like it had rock chips in it until I realized it was the reflection of the colored specs in your epoxy floor LoL. Looks great!

3. Ferrari1221

Ferrari1221 Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    Thanks Flea7 for your feedback. The picture I saw of painted on the back appeared to show carbon weave through it. But I agree, saves weight if it is not painted, as long as it is durable enough to not be affected by chemicals, definitely good to have weight savings. What I meant about a tuner is someone who changes their car so much from original it isn’t original any,ore. To each his taste, but I prefer original. Although, I must admit I put a Capristo exhaust on mine primarily to try and find a way to save the headers. I knew what Capristo was and sounded like because I test drove a Ferrari F430 that had it installed, though I did not buy it, went for one with less mikes. I kept my stock exhaust so I can put it back anytime. Anyways, thanks for your feedback and pictures.

4. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    If the back is simply just painted, you will still be able to see the weave and texture of the CF. If the back looks like a solid color, then there has been FRP used.

To be honest, the paint, weighs literally nothing, so, many customers will prefer that the back is painted, as to more of a "Finished" Look. Also, paint used is a High Temperature paint, which helps reflect, and prevent the carbon from yellowing as easily due to heat.

RTuned can offer both Painted, and Non Painted if customers would like to request that.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. The4DA

The4DA Karting

Aug 31, 2018
    GA
    Full Name:
    RC
    My rear diffuser is the Exotic Car Gear.

6. Ferrari1221

Ferrari1221 Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    nice pictures I assume these are your products and pictures of what the backside looks like when not painted?

7. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
  8. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    We produce and stock all of our carbon components in the manufactures specific weave. For the Ferrari That would be 3K Pain Weave with a gloss finish. We source and produce our raw carbon material from Toray who is the same supplier for Ferrari for this era part. Our diffusers are produced in a prepreg carbon fiber, autoclave process. No we do not paint the back to show they exposed carbon masking it easy for clients to see the construction. If a client request for it to be painted we can as requested.

We have always offered special pricing to our Fchat members, PM sent. I will note that we have sold the last diffuser as of yesterday however we have 6 fresh ones in production. We are located here in the US so there is no inflated international shipping cost or customs fees.

We have been on Fchat for over 8 years and many members with our products.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

stoyce, The4DA and Flea7 like this.
  9. Ferrari1221

Ferrari1221 Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    Very nice pictures, thanks for posting. They really show hoe the carbon looks, you can even see the rivets (I think that is what they are that hold the wings on the diffuser. Nice product.

10. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    One of the benefits of washing and detailing your car yourself is that you tend to notice things like 9 separate bolts that hold the diffuser on being "loose". And you get to tighten them. For free.

Ray

armedferret likes this.
  11. Ferrari1221

Ferrari1221 Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    Wow, a wear item, I cannot afford to treat it as a wear item, glad you have the money to do this. How low is your car as compared with stock?

12. Ferrari1221

Ferrari1221 Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    Good point. I feel a fool to have made the mistake I did. I maintain the car myself and use a electric drill with torque setting set to put all the bolts back on. Up until now my experience is that it is easier to over tighten and strip something, especially when dealing with aluminum, than to keave too loose. From now on I am going to hand tight/check those bolts. You are right, if they are loose they will vibrate right out of there.

I debated, I have had the car just over 4 years, upgrading it to Carbon anyways, so this just gets me off the fence LoL

13. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Pro Tip: I have learned from race mechanics that you should use hand tools only. Any sort of power tool can lead to inadvertent damage to fasteners. The reason there are torque specifications for fasteners is that in the process of tightening them, they stretch, as designed. The correct torque specification when applied ensures the fastener has the proper friction grip which will not loosen. A speed handle goes a long way in relieving the tedium of inserting/removing long fasteners. Just snug the fastener with the speed handle and then use a click-type torque wrench.

Power tools are for flat-rate mechanics that don't care about your car.

Ray

14. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    What’s the weight difference vs stock?

15. van22

van22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2005
    Absecon Island, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    VAN C
    I just purchased a carbon fiber diffuser and the 4 pieces under the hood from Dave at Exotic Car Gear. Great guy! Couldn’t of been nicer!

autowerks9, Marcoboxer and Flea7 like this.
  16. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Our diffuser is Just under 11 Lbs., 10.8 I believe. Not sure of the OEM Fiberglass as I do not have one here to weigh.

David

17. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
  18. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    +1 for exotic car. I bought a diffuser, fits great. No alleviation.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

autowerks9 likes this.
  19. vdm9

vdm9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2014
    long island new york
    Full Name:
    vasilios
    David from Exotic Auto is a class act!!!
    He cares about his customers, products and his reputation!!!
    vdm

20. Ferrari1221

Ferrari1221 Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    I just weighed the stock diffuser and it is 20.2 pounds. So Exotic Car Gear Diffuser saves a lot of weight

21. Ferrari1221

Ferrari1221 Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    Based on the Exotic Car Gear being 10.8, that is a 47% lighter than stock fiberglass diffuser wow!

22. Ferrari1221

Ferrari1221 Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    Ray,

thanks for your feedback. Yeah I feel so bad about what happened. I have 7 vehicles all of which I have built engines for and done body work on, been working on cars and engines for most of my life, I always use torque wrenches when assembling engines and suspension. So you can imagine how bad I felt to make such an obvious mistake.

Instead of relying on the tool set to s specified torque, if I had hand tightened them afterwards I am positive this wouldn’t have happened.

on most cars such a mistake would have just been a lose body part, but as we know on our Ferraris with flat plane crank everything vibrates like crazy. I was even thinking from now on to put some blue lock tight on the bolds for the diffuser.

does anyone know what the actual torque is supposed to be on these bolts?

23. Ferrari1221

Ferrari1221 Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    Sorry for my spelling mistakes, my two thumbs don’t work as fast as my brain does LOL. I meant bolts not bolds, and loose not lose. I have put many a underbody panel on, such as on my SL63 Mercedes, and never had such a problem, usually, worst case scenario, they just work a little loose. I imagine it was the vibration in combination of the pressure of the diffuser pushing down on them that made them unscrew so quickly.

when I get the Exotic Car Gear diffuser I am going to make sure they are lock tightened with blue lock tight, because I like to keep my car flawless.

autowerks9 likes this.
  24. Ferrari1221

Ferrari1221 Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

For those of you who might be curious, Hopefully you can see the picture I inserted, I took the liberty of looking it up in my shop manual, looks like 6nm for the screws and the hex head bolts that hold diffuser on. Normally I do not have to look these things up, but no doubt I need a lesson on this one LOL

25. Fv81587

Fv81587 Karting

Aug 18, 2018
    Novi, Mi
    Full Name:
    Frank Valeri
    Looks like 6nm is the torque spec for those diffuser (extractor) screws. When washing my car yesterday I found a couple of mine were very loose and had backed out 3-4mm. Glad I caught them in time. BTW a carbon diffuser looks great and David at Exotic is great to work with.
    Frank
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

autowerks9 likes this.