F8 or STO? | Page 50 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Must be something wrong with your car then. My Pista is definitely louder than my 488 was both at idle and on the go once the valves open. Keep in mind once the valves open the system is running straight through with only the cats as mufflers so it can't possibly be quieter than the 488 unless your valves aren't opening.

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My Pista is also louder than my 488.

3. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    1 million percent it is way quieter for me.

The 488 had a deep baritone and was loud!

The Pista with even with my new valve controller is muffled and there is absolutely no depth to the sound. I was convinced it had an OPF filter being a 2020 model and I have been told that it does not have this.

May the Horse be with you

4. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I am shocked.... there must be something wrong with my Pista

SoCal to az likes this.
  5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    No, you are right. This is the Pista. Mine was disappointingly the same.

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Maybe your controller is hooked up wrong or something because if the valves are open there is no way a 488 could possibly sound louder unless the guts of the cats have blown out.

The 488 has less power and more restrictive compressor wheels along with more attenuation in the muffler when the valves are closed. The stock cats in both cars are 600 cel and are the only thing standing in the way between the turbo outlets and the end of the pipes in straight through valves open mode.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Have both and have compared back to back many times. From the outside, the Pista is without a shadow of doubt louder, but two things can make a difference.

The exhaust on both of my cars are burned in on the track and they need a burn-in to fully open up.

The other thing is that in the cabin, the 488 has a bit of a drone which the Pista does not have, and that might make the 488 seem louder. But stand on a pit wall whime both cars pass and there's a significant difference in favour of the Pista.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Thecadster, Gh21631 and Shadowfax like this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Spot on and also spot on about the drone in 488. If I didn't have the controller in my 488 to shut the valves from time to time the drone would really drive me nuts after a while. God only knows how guys drive their 488 with the valves pegged open - can only mean they do very short runs on throttle or their ears are shot. Listening to fly by's at track the 488 sounds like a ***** cat compared to the Pista. Also agree the Pista needs a damn good run in to burn in the cats and exhaust and after that its plenty loud enough. Those here like dusty and co etc wouldn't have got their car out of first gear for longer than a few ks and to say what they are is a sad indictment of how they drove their car....if you could call that driving. No way would they have given the system a chance to burn in and deliver its best notes. Added to that the fear of running up ks and losing resale value is probably another reason too I'd say. I can honestly say I wouldn't want my Pista any louder than how it is esp with the valves held open its pretty damn loud from both the drivers seat and outside. Some of the these guys just need to take their Pista's out of cotton wool and give the damn thing a proper run and let their heads go rather than worry about saving it up for the next owner..

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I said this a while back, the sounds definitely gets better with break in.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  10. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It was just put in by Ferrari.

It opens and closes as it should.

I am not the only one, many people have mentioned how quiet the Pista sound is.

I just read a whole thread on it.

11. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    My car now has 770 miles on it and I have only had one shortish session of super hard driving.

Perhaps I need to try and burn in the exhaust some more??

12. Mortarion

Mortarion Karting

Jun 6, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jase
    Anyone know if gloss ppf will adhere to the standard matte black contrast trim ?

13. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I can confirm that I have had a hard run which was mountain driving and full tank of gas.

I will upload a sound bite so you can let me know what you think.

The car on start up is loud and then it gets pretty quiet.

Don’t get me wrong I love the hell out of the car, I just wish that the exhaust had more punch!

I am not the type of guy that will go for a full race pipe decat exhaust either, I just want something better than stock with a valve controller.

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    How many Ks you got on the clock? I found after 800 to 1000 things opened up a lot better. Now its as loud as I want really. Any louder and it could be annoying having the valves open after a while. Previously I would have to agree the sound volume was very disappointing. I was very seriously considering selling the car before I managed to get the Forza working. At that stage I think I had @ 600kms on the odo and when I picked it up I still wasn't all that wowed and then out of nowhere I found myself switching it back to stock mode as it was getting pretty loud. If it hadn't then my plan was to run it back to the dealer and move it. Honestly Ferrari need a rocket up them for selling this car as a track focused car. It's just a rd car with no sound deadening and no glovebox - another stupid pointless and very annoying compromise having nowhere to put your stuff. Ridiculous.

GT2goneF likes this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You need at least twice that to burn it in, and some of that has to be hard driving.
    The first two months with my Pista Spider I put about 3000 miles on it and about 8 hours of actual track driving. I think suspension started to settle in half way and same for when the exhaust opened up. I believe that a car should be broken in the same way it will be used, so driven pretty hard from the get-go. If those 770 miles are fairly easy overall, you have some miles to go before everything is on point.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    It won't. I wanted the matte black pieces on the F8 to be gloss and my detailer had to use a special high gloss black vinyl film.

GT2goneF and Mortarion like this.
  17. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Ok. So you agree that the Pista was quiet when you bought her which was making you want to sell her. The fact that you say she is no longer quiet gives me hope.

Now I have 1,230km’s on mine. I will keep driving her until she opens up.

I think it is important to note that I traded my 488 in after having driven it hard for many miles so that exhaust was at it loudest and the Pista was brand new at its quietest.

Some other posts you made also makes sense too regarding the cracks and popps on overrun in the 488 GTB is missing. This too was a factor that I did love about the 488.

I have only been for one drive with the Forza controller so I will take her out this weekend to see what she sounds like.

18. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thank you!

I will give this a try for sure.

Also I never ever commute in the Pista. I bought the car to drive it hard and that’s all she gets roads permitting.

19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Did they markup the price on the AMG BS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Fastmd

Fastmd Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    They did not. But, I am sure if I pass they will. They are a family owned store with a few dealers, but are very old and tend to get the cars they requested. I believe they have 2 confirmed including mine, the other being the owner’s son.

21. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    #1246 SLDriver, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Matte White STO spotted...

Btw, the guy driving this STO works at the Lamborghini factory and he confirmed that GPF will be only on Chinese market H's including the STO.

Shack, ScrappyB and Boomhauer like this.
  22. Evo X

Evo X Karting

Jun 16, 2018
    Chicago
    Another STO video walking through some ADP options

Thecadster likes this.
  23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wow that’s a gift!!!
    Every dealer I know of asking for over MSRP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Just spoke to my buddy who’s due his STO in April. He tried ordering the exact same colors as the reveal, but couldn’t as the blue wasn’t available here in the US, the pay couldn’t do the orange accents on various parts of the car, and the orange calipers didn’t match the orange trim.

So........I’ll see what happens to me next week.

25. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    The only STOs arriving in April/May are market intro cars and you can't do AdP on market intro cars which is probably why your friend couldn't spec the the new blue and other bits.

wthensler and Thecadster like this.