Pretty BaT 365GTC/4 | FerrariChat

Pretty BaT 365GTC/4

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by donv, Jan 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  2. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    I think Daytona’s and C4’s. Look “lighter” and prettier with Borranis. - but functionally not as good

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Do these trend more or less than a Daytona? (Excluding the 75k paint job):eek:

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Traditionally about 1/2.
    Paint job about 1/1 ;)

DoubleD33 likes this.
  5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Needs to be brought back into original colors (not for $ 75 K!).

Marcel Massini

donv and DoubleD33 like this.
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Daytona as well. I remember the Road & Track road test with color photos, lovely tartan interior.

7. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    To me wire wheels look strange on Ferrari's from the 275GTB onwards. This is a good looking car, though! Painted bumper looks good, even though I wouldn't mind the black.

AHudson likes this.
  8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    TTR is right that traditionally C/4s have been about 50% of a Daytona, but for whatever reason the C/4 market has been really weak the last few years. This car might make it over $200k, but low 200s is about the top of the market for a C/4.

DoubleD33 likes this.
  9. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    It should be an interesting watch for those who prefer the car/design. I do not fall on that group. :)

10. Montgomery Kersten

Oct 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    J M Kersten
    I owned a C/4 for many years. I bought it from a Ferrari dealer in Monterey California, and it was his original car. As the second owner, I took it down to the metal, and painted it dark blue, totally got the engine and exhaust back to stock. With those six, twin choke, side-draft webers, this sister to the Daytona (downdrafts on the latter) was said to be the sweetest Ferrari song ever created. I would often roll the windows down and go through (up to red line) freeway underpasses that acted as a tunnel for the song. Once pulled over by police for that, I explained the reason and that was the only time I escaped a ticket in California after being pulled over.

The stock exhaust features 12 sniffer tubes, each of which is screwed into the exhaust manifold for each cylinder, so you can unscrew the knurled cap for a tube and sniff its gas levels (before they mix with other exhaust ports further down in the manifold). This allows you to dial in each jet for each carb/cylinder -- once locked in, those webers sing and never needed adjustment. Talk about balance in the firing order. Heaven.

Sadly, I had to sell the C/4 as it has a design defect: The clutch and transmission are huge in the center console of that car (plenty of room in the cabin). The clutch is by far the stiffest spring/pressure plate I've experienced. And the stock gearing is pretty tall: I was once stuck going up California Street in San Francisco having to stop at a light half-way up. The car would not go up the hill in first off the light! The clutch was melting! I had to U turn and go back down the hill and never got to the Mark Hopkins Hotel across from the Fairmont that day! Recall: that is why they had cable cars: horses with carriages found if very hard to climb that grade!

But, the defect was the clutch cable: it has a sharp bend in its travel every time you punch in the pedal, and although aircraft braided cable, it would frey and snap with continual clutch use. I went through two cables and was on my third, when it broke on Hiway 17 in California (on the way to the Ocean) -- third time off-road, and almost got hit going to the break-down shoulded, my lady declared: It goes or I do.

Note this: the car is heavy! Over 4,000 pounds. It is key to mount modern tire technology and I had the original wheels that I upgraded to wider Borranis -- I kept the stock wheels, but I always felt the wire wheels on this beast are so cool (as they are on my E-Type OTS). Also, this car is not particularly fast off the line -- but it is an amazing beauty, with stunning dash with classic instruments that still look fresh, huge cabin room, back seats that will accommodate kids or a dog, and a huge trunk. I sold mine to a chap in Britain whose only other car was a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost! Years later when he decided to sell it, he emailed me to ask my permission and offered me a profile of the buyer -- cuz the chap who bought from me, knew how much I loved the car and thought it my child. True Story!

Happy Motoring!~ Montgomery

AHudson, miurasv, SCantera and 6 others like this.
  11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Everything I have heard is that the build quality on the Pininfarina-built C/4 is superior to that of the Scaglietti-built Daytona. And the C/4 was more expensive when new. They certainly don't have the rust issues that Daytonas have.

Daytonafan and readplays like this.
  12. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC

About a decade ago I had a dark blue/tan C/4. It was a nice driver. I thought about re-newing a lot things....engine compartment, console [small nicks], repaint and more. Then I did the numbers and said "never mind". At the time C/4s were about $100-150k max. I would have spent half of that to make it really right. Sold it after 2 years of ownership.

I agree with you about the wires vs Cromos. My C/4 came with both with the new Borranis on the car when delivered. I quickly put the Cromos on it. I think the Queen Mother was the last car that looked right w/ Borranis. Classic vs modern styling that came with C/4s and Daytonas. Before I sold the car a friend that lived 2 blocks away was restoring a C/4 he had bought for $20k. I sold him the Borranis w/ nearly new XWXs for $2000. I am a bad negotiator but a good friend :D

AHudson, Zanny1 and donv like this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

readplays likes this.
  14. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    readplays likes this.
  15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    donv and BMWairhead like this.
  16. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The debate regarding wires vs. cromos has gone on forever. I had a C/4 for 12 or 13 years and hated the wires, which were replaced with date coded cromodoras after a couple of years. Heavy clutch? Not on mine.....it was no worse than any other muscle car I have driven, and better than some.
    The BAT car looks pretty good. Six of 'em on ebay forever.....seems like they just don't sell. Wonderful cars when set up correctly. Wish I hadn't sold mine, but that is another story.

17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    $202k, reserve not met. I would say that should have bought the car in today's market, so either the seller doesn't really want to sell the car or they are overly optimistic. But the high bidder sounded like he really wants it, so maybe the seller comes to their senses.

AHudson, readplays and Texas Forever like this.
  18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I’ll spare you the I remember when stories.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Oh, I have those too. Heck, I passed on a very nice C/4 in the early 2000s at $44k because I thought it was a bit much... just after that, I passed on a plexi-nose Daytona because at $120k I thought they were asking too much. And, to be fair, because the driving experience in the Daytona was too close to that of my 365GT 2+2.