UK Winter Storage - UK Dehumidifier Recommendations Please? | FerrariChat

UK Winter Storage - UK Dehumidifier Recommendations Please?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Richard Browne, Dec 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Hi Everyone,
    A message to my fellow UK Ferrari owners that store their cars in their garages please...

I recently purchased an immaculate 458 Spider and now have it stored in my brick garage for the winter and it is suffering from condensation due to high RH moisture levels.

I realise that I need a desiccant dehumidifier due to the UK climate and in a previous location in the UK when storing a garage queen 993 S, I used a Meaco DD8L desiccant dehumidifier but this broke just after the warranty ran out and have since heard horror stories that Meaco Desiccant units regularly fail around this time. I am therefore reticent to purchase another Meaco unit.

Which make/model do you guys use to manage the RH levels in your garages please?

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays! :)

2. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    That’s what I’ve got. Gets good reviews in the yachting world!

Remember to keep your windows cracked open.

Richard Browne likes this.
  3. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I have about 8 Meaco DD8-Ls in various locations. Only one has broken (after 4 years, and the filter was never cleaned on that one). The oldest ran for about 8 years in one garage and has been passed onto my mother-in law, and is still running.
    Sometimes they stop draining water through the exit pipe and the tank fills up. This is due to an atmospheric imbalance. Usually a bit of jiggling about fixes this. I have now learnt that if you make a small hole (4mm) in the upper part of the pipe 3cm from where it joins the machine the pressure imbalance is sorted out and the water flows freely.

4. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Thank you for the info...but wouldn't the fluid leak out of this hole that is used to overcome the pressure imbalance?

Design Dave likes this.
  5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I just have a small oil filled electric heater in my garage, which is set to keep the garage around 10 degrees, with this I get no condensation on the inside of my windows or door glass. It seems to work a treat.
    You can see it in this pic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hopefully not if it on the top side of the pipe. All of mine seem to be running well at the moment but I will try it next time on of the overflow tanks fills up. If it doesn’t work, or leaks I can just cut that bit of pipe off and go back to the current set up.

7. Mikaeln

Mikaeln Rookie

Feb 8, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I have two units from aerial; one is 8y and the other one is 2y old.
    Very robust and reliable(never had any issues with anyone).
    Not the cheapest but in my view outstanding quality.
    https://www.aerial.de/en/products/ad7

8. TerryG!

TerryG! Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Central UK
    I run three Ecoair DD122 units. Two in framed Carcoons (with the fan vents closed off) and one in the workshop. All in operation for just about 2 years and functioning OK (I do hope I’ve not tempted fate writing that!).
    For 20+ years I ran a refrigerant type, until the garage was no longer part of the house. In the current unheated storage space that’s just not an option.