PF Coupe Project on BaT | FerrariChat

PF Coupe Project on BaT

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by donv, Dec 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Texas Forever, tritone and readplays like this.
  2. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Engine and trans rebuild, full interior plus assembly....at least $150K worth of work to go and then you still have non-numbers matching engine, etc. Get it for under $200K and project might pencil. I'll admit I still understand the temptation.

375+ likes this.
  3. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Picture 154 shows correspondence with someone who has the engine from this car and is willing to trade for a 128F engine, which this car comes with. You might have to rebuild both engines to make the deal work, however.

How much is a 128F engine rebuild these days, from someone like Patrick Ottis?

I have a local guy who could probably rebuild it (he's rebuilt plenty of 250 motors), but he takes a long time. I can't imagine how long it would take him to do 2.

4. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Seats are actually a big question... maybe Tom Shaughnessy has a set.

5. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    On the plus side, he has a reputation that is beyond reproach.
    On the minus side, the letter is 21 years old so it would behoove you to reach out before bidding if matching numbers is a deal breaker.

The Grigio Conchiglia with Bordeaux is stunning. A beautiful combination to accentuate the PF coupe's understated elegance.

6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't know that matching numbers makes much of a difference... other than from a price point of view. However, it would help to know who the sender of that email was.

7. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Are there not enough clues in that letter to easily identify the sender? I took it as he was a PB judge that year. Is the Bob Moiser guy still around to ask?

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is not just the (250 GTE) engine that isn't matching, the gearbox is also not the correct one for this PF Coupé.

Marcel Massini

F40org and V12addict like this.
  9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  10. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    It's orders of magnitude better than the one Full wing's been flogging for a year or so.

11. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    PM sent.

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I wonder a little: I have 2 customers with a 250 GT and none of those cars has an overdrive. but in the description of this car and also on the photos there is an overdrive.
    has this been optional? or did F built after a non know VIN for me those 250 GT all with overdrive

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Marcel would know for sure, but picture 167 appears to show a build sheet from the factory which states "con Overdrive" so I would hope it would have had it?

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Is it the correct type, though? Or close enough?

Unless the original engine can be reunited with the car, I would think the gearbox wouldn't be an issue as long as it works fine and is pretty close.

Personally, I think it would take A LOT of effort to make this car into a concours queen. Not saying it couldn't be done, and maybe it will be done, but as it sits right now it's a bitsa... and that's not all bad as long as you pay a bitsa price for it.

15. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    My prediction is that it will go for around 200K at the auction. Another 200K to put it together and then you end up with PF Coupe bitsa. It would make sense to take this car to the top if it can be re united with the original engine and transmission plus the original brakes.

16. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    GTE’s came with the overdrive as did the serious 2 PF’s. Series one PF’s are all 4 spd with out an overdrive
    If the original power train can be bought which will cost a lot after that the cost to restore will be $350-500k depending on who’s doing it.

turbo-joe and miurasv like this.
  17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #17 miurasv, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Series I PF Coupe also came with drum brakes and around 20 BHP less.

18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What is wrong with the brakes? According to the build sheet, this was a disc brake car, wasn't it?

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    strange, those 250 GT I mean they have no overdrive, so serie 1 then, but they have disk brake front and rear. so then they should be serie 2 without overdrive?

20. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    1909GT is a disc brake, overdrive, series II PF Coupe, and not that far from the end of the run (according to Raab, last PF Coupe was 2081, for whatever that's worth).

I'm not convinced that it would be $200k to get this car running and driving, to bitsa standards. And without the correct engine and transmission, that's probably the correct standard, in my opinion. Eventually, this car will probably be reunited with it's original engine, and that is the time to worry about having the correct hose clamps, etc.

EDIT: I would define "bitsa standard" as the car runs great, is safe and reliable, and looks great to someone who is not a vintage Ferrari expert. An expert could pick it apart 50 different ways.

davemqv, Texas Forever and tritone like this.
  21. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Go for it donv; you know you're talking yourself into it.......:D
    We need another restoration thread to follow; so we can privately congratulate ourselves for not being so..........you know.........:p

donv likes this.
  22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If you pass on this, I have a Jensen Healey you might be interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tritone likes this.
  23. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #23 miurasv, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    The first few of the 250 GT PF Coupes used the tipo 128C inside plug engine with single distributor which was replaced by the again inside plug tipo 128D. The tipo 128D engines are said to be twin distributor but a few of them are actually single distributor. These used Weber 36 DCL/3 carbs. Gearbox was the 4 speed + reverse offset lever and inverse pattern tipo 508D/603. Drum brakes were replaced by discs.

Later, the outside plug tipo 128F engine was introduced along with the tipo 508F 4 speed + reverse gearbox with electrically controlled overdrive. Carbs were Weber 40 DCL/6.

24. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I would happily drive this as a finished bitsa car. I do love the two tone paint. Someone will get a fun project that we will all later drool over :)

readplays likes this.
  25. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    Hi Don,
    Assuming that the FCA international meet will actually be held in July in Portland, you will see my PF coupe (1643) that is almost at the end of a 2 year restoration. You can follow the progress at Restoration Menu (parrotbyte.com).

Admittedly, I'm having a premier shop (Dennison International) do the work, but it didn't take too long to chew up 200K on my car.

Regards, Kerry.

TTR, readplays and V12addict like this.