Italy and Coronavirus | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Italy and Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Albert-LP, Feb 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Thank you, Mike. In the last two days things have improved a bit (12k cases Sunday and 15 k today). Next week new medium level lockdown up to the end of the Christmas holidays

ciao

absostone likes this.
  2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Hi,
    In the south-east of France (Cannes), the hospital situation is equivalent to the rest of the country (40% saturation)
    Most people wear masks and the French seem resigned to the deprivation of freedoms imposed by the government.
    We’re waiting for that to actually happen. ( End of pandemia)

Albert-LP likes this.
  3. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Dear Mathieu. Thank you. We have family in Arcachon and we had a note from them saying that things were about the same there, although the salt air seems to keep people outside and the spread may be a little less virulent.

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yes being told what to do is the difficult part.

5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    My pleasure Keith !
    Arcachon is a so beautiful place either.
    Being outside is key to fight this virus it seems.
    Nothing more to do now except tasting delicious oysters with an excellent white wine!
    Stay safe you and your family.
    Merry christmas from France.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That's not difficult, I don't mind the "restrictions to freedom" at all; considering what happened to the generation before mine, which has been through the second World War, annexion to Germany, lack of food, deprivations, etc...some boys even drafted in the german army and sent fighting on the russian front, so complaining because I have to wear a mask or cannot go where I want would be ridiculous and inconvenant.
    We have all the food we need, all the wine we need, we can communicate with friends, and we don't risk being shot at everyday: let's keep things in perspective.
    My uncle and godfather is 91 and still going strong. He was 10 in 1939; had to leave his home, been evacuated, etc...He smiles everytime people talk about "restrictions to their freedom" for a paper mask.

What I do mind is that we are not through with the pandemy yet. More and more, it seems probable that we will have a "third wave" or a "resurgence of the second wave", call it what you will, in January.

Figures are not good: in October, when the second lock-down was decided, all epidemiologists agreed that things could be considered encouraging when down to an average of "less than 5.000 contaminations a day"; the advice of the scientific board of advisors to the governement was for a lockdown until January 7th, as they considered that the "below 5.000 contaminations a day" mark cold not be met adequately and with constency before.

For many understandable reasons, lock-down was decided "until december 5th, provided that at this date the average daily contaminations figures would be below 5.000". BUT: Politicians being who they are, the lockdown was lifted progressively starting end November, but the figures were nowhere close to an constant average of "5.000 a day maximum".

Average daily contaminations figures were 10.725 in week 49; 12.138 in week 50 and 14.159 in week 51 (last week): you guessed it, it's going up again...it is only a matter of days before we end up locked down again.
    My guess is that "they" are waiting for the first days of the new year to announce round three...

Hope things are not too hard "on the other side of the pond"; the U.S figures are certainly impressive and frightening...

Rgds

Albert-LP likes this.
  7. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    We send you our best Christmas wishes, Nerofer

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Before I forget, a deep heart felt Joyeux Noël à tous and Buon Natale a tutti!. Wishing all of our friends in Europe a healthy Christmas and New Year!

Albert-LP likes this.
  9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Thank you Keith. I anticipated Christmas somewhat; had a bottle of "La Chapelle de la Mission Haut-Brion" by the fireplace yesterday; exceptional, considering it is "only" a "second vin", really as close as possible to its big brother. Being a 2009 vintage surely helped. Now I know, and still have 11 bottles left...I still can survive another lock-down.
    Merry Christmas.

Best,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

jpalmito and Steelton Keith like this.
  10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    "Joyeux Noël" to all our American friends, and this thread being about Italy, "Buon Natale" to all Italians either by birth, by family, or by heart (or by any combination of these factors)...

best,

11. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    opening one of the Krug tomorrow and Nerofer, my last bottle of 1982 Bordeaux. I bought cases of wine with a friend back in the early 80's en premiere (Futures we call them here). Together we bought (I think I can remember most of them) La Lagune, Lynch Bages, Leoville Les Cases, Ducru Beaucaillou, Rouget, Grand Puy Lacoste, L'Arrosee, maybe one or two others. We shared 6 bottles of each and my friend still has one or two La Lgune. The L'Arrosee was always one of my favorites for a bargain wine. The Rouget was a Rob't Parker "Sleeper" and I remember we paid $ 96 USD for the CASE. I drank the last of the Ducru last winter and the last bottle of the Leoville on my birthday this past September. I will post some notes on the wine. I know it is sound as I have had it properly stored since purchase and the ullage is very respectable. My wife is preparing Boeuf Wellington for Christmas dinner.

absostone likes this.
  12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #512 nerofer, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    "La Lagune" is a perfect example of how the world has changed since the eighties, and not for the best. There was a small restaurant in Paris, Rue Mayet, near the office where they had it on their wine list. We used to have lunch here from time to time with a friend and often ordered the "La Lagune", which was "affordable" for two Young "white collar workers" at the start of their professional careers. Nowadays, in a nice vintage such as 2009, the equivalent bottle of "La Lagune" would cost you "about 300 euros" in a restaurant, which is not something you would do casually. It's a global world, Asia demand had made the prices skyrocket.

But let's not derail the "Italy and Coronavirus" thread too much...
    One question that is certainly valid for Italy also is the future of the restaurants; they have been closed for two months now and have to stay closed until January 20th at best. I fear that if the lock-down is extended again (which could well happen) that would kill these for good.

Rgds

13. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Albert-LP and absostone like this.
  14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Exactly what I was saying above; I use to lunch at a small number of usual places, and at another number of less usual. Did my best after the end of the first lock-down to boost their turn-over by catching up for lost time; somehow it seems for me the right thing to do: what I didn't spent in their places during the first lock-down, I spent in the same places afterwards, plus my usual frequency.
    They all told me the same thing: "we managed, barely, to survive a two-months shut-down. If there is another one in the fall, we couldn't possibly face it". There has been another one in the fall, and they have been shut-down for more than two months and until January 20th at best; that is, IF there is no extension of the shut-down, or curfew, etc...I fear the bill will be too heavy for many of them. This is very sad.

Rgds

jpalmito likes this.
  15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Happy New year, Buon anno nuovo, Bonne Année, To all. Praying for a better year for all of us.

Albert-LP likes this.
  16. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Thanks !
    Bonne année à vous tous !

Albert-LP and absostone like this.
  17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Today we fell under 10k new infected a day since a lot of time: "only" 8800 new daily cases.

Up today almost 2,4 M of Italian got the virus (more or less 4% of the Italian population) that killed 82,5 k of us.

ciao

jpalmito and of2worlds like this.
  18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Terrible. La vita e Bella. But short

Albert-LP likes this.
  19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Thank you for this update Alberto. Please stay safe!

Albert-LP likes this.
  20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    here is a disaster, Modena area is full of new daily cases (500+ each day): there is the third wave of Covid. Starting from today Modena area is in red zone, full lockdown: we can go out only for work food and urgencies.

Ciao

21. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    sad to hear , just this morning I was playing around on the map & dreaming to see about where to stay on the coast south of Ravenna & how far from Modena (2hrs)

thoughts are with you there , I hope it changes for the better soon

alex likes this.
  22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Oh no again!

23. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Family in Turin are reporting the same. Another lockdown.

24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    More or less the same in France, with important variations from "département" to "département"; the government is trying to delay a new "lock-down", mainly for a question of vocabulary, but also because they fear the consequences on the economy and the people. So they are adjusting the brackets for the curfew, etc...
    23 départements are under "special observation", including Paris and the suburbs (your Zia in Paris is therefore under these conditions). The city of Dunkerque is the most heavily hit, for the time being, that is...

Culprit for this new spreading of contaminations are the three "Covid variants", mainly the "british variant" but also the "brasilian" and the "south-african" ones, which are much more contagious than the initial one.
    In my department, according to a recent report from the "conseil scientifique", we have an explosion of "South african" variant, which was impossible to understand...until they identified a case from a military man that came back with it from the indian ocean (Mayotte) at the end of January. It is considered probable that one initial case sufficed to infect a whole departement...

I'm not technically and legally "locked-down", but I have decided to lock myself down again nevertheless.
    All hopes are in the vaccination progress now...

Take care, it might not be over...

Rgds

greg328 and Albert-LP like this.
  25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #525 Albert-LP, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Let's hope this vaccine works: my wife got the first vaccine (Astra Zeneca) dose yesterday, as she is a teacher so it's at the top of the list. But, funny, all schools here were closed yesterday, only online teaching.

Factories are all still open and no lockdown is expected for factories, whatever it will happen: Ferrari and the others will stay open.

Here there is the "English variant", most of new cases and it spreads quickly.

ciao