488 - Brake problem? Or nothing to worry about? | FerrariChat

488 Brake problem? Or nothing to worry about?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JonnySK, Dec 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    Got a '17 488 GTB, picked it up in June (11k miles) and put 3,000 miles on it (not tracked). First exotic, so I could be worrying over nothing, but would appreciate your thoughts on possible brake issues.

MAJOR SYMPTOM:

- Braking hard from high speed, it has happened to me around twice that the brake pedal has gone 'hard' - a small amount of travel, then it will not depress any further despite applying maximum force - and stopping power is considerably diminished. This is NOT a regular occurrence, but then again I rarely brake hard from high speeds - maybe it would happen regularly if I did. Was a bit of a scare when I found myself hurtling toward a twisty off-ramp WAY faster than intended.

MINOR SYMPTOM:

- Brake squeal / hiss at low speeds. Function is fine. No big deal, I figured. Not unusual for CCs. Even some reviews mention it in passing without citing it as a defect.

POSSIBLE CAUSES (from researching other threads):

- Brakes were cold when applied at high speed. I was driving for 1hr+ on the highway, and moderating my speed mainly by lifting off the gas, not braking. Solution is simply to get some heat into them before smashing them from 100mp/h+.

- Glazed brake pads / brakes not bedded in properly by the original owner.

- Brake booster valve vacuum leak.

OTHER INFO:

- In normal city driving, the brakes work fine (despite the squeal).

- In spirited driving on twisty roads, where I am accelerating hard and braking hard constantly, I have not experienced the 'wooden pedal' sensation - the brakes work as expected.

- The car is due for service in January. I can ask them to flush the brake fluid / check the booster valve.

MY QUESTIONS...

1. Even though the car now has 14,000 miles, would it be of any use to do a (belated) bedding in procedure? I would assume it's way too late if the discs are actually glazed, but no harm in a second opinion...

Now, the big one...

2. The car is under full-cover warranty... For another 16 days. I can renew until the end of 2020. Service is not due until late January '21. I wasn't planning on paying the $6k to extend the warranty (not to open that can of worms here). Do you think, given the information set out above, that I should reconsider? Wouldn't want to cheap out on the $6k warranty in December and then be hit with a $20k brake replacement in January.

2. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    If you are under warranty raise the issue about the brakes now. That avoids being hit with a big bill in January if the problem is covered by the warranty.

3. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    Yes, I should have mentioned - I'm out of the country until after the warranty expires... Annoying, unavoidable, short notice travel.

4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Have a friend, buddy, or the dealership pick up the car and take it to the dealership. Or just call them and explain the situation. If you report the problem before the warranty is out, it shouldn't be a problem to get it fixed under warranty.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Sargepug and ntatfas like this.
  5. Sounds like your brakes are cold.

6. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    Cheers. This is what I assumed at the time. I wasn't sufficiently worried to take it to the dealer even though it was under warranty. Now my warranty's up for renewal, the incident just popped back into my mind and I thought I'd run it by some experienced owners for a second opinion. Unless there was a chorus of "That should NEVER happen", I didn't plan to take any further action.