Weight Loss | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by motleycruefan, Jul 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    When I was in college I dropped over 50lbs. It was easy...run 10km in the morning and 10km at night. Have some chips and beer. Repeat as needed.

Now that I'm older most of us will need to accept that we can't burn 2000 calories a day. The biggest things I noticed when helping my parents lose weight was intake and meal sizes.

The post above about calories in "a single plate" is certainly true in many aspects. For example don't have 10 wings. Have 5 plus a side. It is not easy many will tell you that.

My family, European, was always about making more food. For a family of four we would have 6 to 8 steaks. Save the rest right...nope. we would nibble until its gone.

You will be surprised but meal planning and portion control will be one of the biggest contributors. Unless you can run triathlons every weekend.

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    So my wife had a complete thyroidectomy, so I know it's hard to manage your weight when you have issues there.

I'd train with weights, hard - 2 days on, 1 day off. On off days, treadmill or aerobic work.

3. Pro Bono

Pro Bono Rookie

Aug 30, 2020
    The secret to a successful weight loss programme is not to make it too demanding. If you feel you have to exercise even if you don't want to then you'll find excuses not to. Likewise, if you cut down the calories too much you'll be permanently hungry and start cheating.

Many people over-estimate the effect that exercise has on your weight. Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Although exercise is definitely good for you, and will make you feel better, the type of exercise that most of us can comfortably envisage, e.g. walking or cycling, won't make that much difference to your weight - a 5 mile walk will burn about 150 calories, which is the equivalent of a can of Coke, and to burn off a Big Mac you'd need to walk about 18 miles! But the type of exercise that does burn calories fast, such as running or HIT, is not a realistic option if you're significantly overweight.

I started a diet that limits intake to 1,550 calories a day a few weeks ago, and I've consistently lost about 1 pound a week. It's not dramatic, but it's consistent, and I'm very pleased. The best thing about it is that I still eat pretty much what I did before, but smaller portions. I was convinced that reducing the portions would leave me feeling hungry, but it doesn't, and this is what's enabled me to keep the diet going.

I don't want to do very vigorous exercise, so I've limited it to going for a walk / cycle most days for an hour or so. I enjoy it and it's really important that you do find a type of exercise you enjoy or you'll just give it up. But even if you don't want to take any significant exercise you can and will still lose weight. Many people won't start a diet because they know they won't or can't exercise, and therefore think it's a waste of time - they're wrong. And as the weight comes off they'll find that exercise gets a lot easier.

I've been using a free app called My Fitness Pal, which tracks your weight. It includes a diary where you record what you're eating and drinking and it gives the calories for each intake so you can keep a running total. It helped a lot, and once you know roughly how many calories are in everyday food you don't need to keep the diary anymore.

Skidkid, AD211 and Camp Freddie like this.
  4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Exactly. My Fitness Pal. Track your calories. The app will help you set a target calorie intake based on your size, I loose weight at about 1900 calories. Cut out stuff that is high calorie and not that satisfying, Drop drinking (I moved to weekends only and then whiskey not wine or worse beer) and I dropped ice cream (moved it to special occasions and then I buy bars so it is a fixed portion), drop toast with butter, change meals to your protein and 2 vegetables (drop the potatoes, rice, etc.). Add in things that hold you over well but aren't bad calorie intake. I added almonds (6 will buy you an hour when you are hungry), watermelon is great because you almost can't eat enough to care.

The comment about lifting weights is spot on. Muscle mass burns more calories all day long. SO, lift weights and build muscle mass. As noted, cardio is good for the heart but doesn't do much for calorie burn.

You can eat what you want just stay in the calorie target. I don't care if you eat all of your calories in candy bars; that would be one hungry day but if you stick to the target you will still lose weight. Adjusting portions makes it very easy and effects change, not just a diet that you will abandon when you have lost the weight.

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Each pound of weight is 3500 calories. So if you go into deficit of 3500 calories, you will lose a pound. That is the simple math. My resting rate of burning calories is about 2500 calories a day. so if I eat 2000 calories, a day, I lose a pound a week. Now if you add exercise, you can increase your caloric intake and still lose weight. I dropped 20 pounds recently and it was a combination of working out and eating right.

Its not complicated to lose weight- you just need to be consistent in your plan.

Skidkid likes this.
  6. That number, unfortunately, has been debunked my friend.

7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Hmm- worked for me. I’ll read up your link. Essentially I worked out and cleaned up my diet and lost 20 pounds. Go figure

8. Yeah, that's just the key right there.

Clean eating and regular exercise.

Counting calories is sort of like worrying about 0-60 times and 1/10s of a second difference in 0-60 times when it comes to supercars.

9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Oh I get that. I wasn’t militant about counting the calories or anything. Just general tracking that I tried to eat about 2500 a day. I knew I was burning over 3000.

One important aspect to weight loss that should not be overlooked- weigh yourself every morning. It keeps you accountable.

10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    What are your thyroid levels...T4/T3/TSH? If you don’t normalize these levels, it’s highly unlikely you’ll be able to lose weight.
    I would also have your PCP check your hormonal levels (T/E, etc.)... all of these effect your metabolism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdefabri likes this.
  11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Well, except that it didn't debunk anything. In fact, it says the formula works well short term but the equation shifts over time because your burn changes. There are also psychological changes and eating changes that you revert over time. That is pretty far from debunking.

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    True, you need things working correctly or to have them corrected for normal processes to work. Same could be said for diabetes and a dozen other illnesses. We should add, if you are managing this kind of thing you need to have it checked regularly during weight loss and exercise. These will shift the underlying conditions and cause them to drift potentially requiring corrections to your medications.