F355 Nouvalari SS Exhaust First Impressions | FerrariChat

F355 Nouvalari SS Exhaust First Impressions

Discussion in '348/355' started by AutoFanaticF355, Sep 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Hi guys I just fitted the Super Sports exhaust a few days ago and I wanted to share some initial feedback for the community. My car is fitted with Fabspeed Headers and Fabspeed Sport Cats and the OEM Upper Y pipe. It was fitted with a Gen 1 Tubi which sounded nice, refined and very docile to drive but not very engaging to match the other cars I own. I wanted a bit more scream and drama since I love the way the F355 sounds with a nice loud exhaust.

Also I will note my Exhaust bypass valve does work and I have done testing with it left connected and bypassed.

The exhaust at start up is nice, has a nice rumble but once the engine warms up the drone inside the car is unbearable at 1000 RPM. This is with the bypass valve closed. With the bypass valve bypassed the drone maybe gets 5% better but its still there.

I also notice drone around town in the 3000 RPM range then any input of the throttle from 3100 up to 6800 almost sounds stock then at 6900-8500 is screams like an old F1 car which I LOVE.

The issue I am having is around town its getting annoying and seems to be pissing everyone off which does bother me in the village I reside. I wanted to throw this thread out there to ask you guys who many have been down this exhaust road many times already. Do you guys think the Fabspeed headers have anything to do with this drone I am experiencing? Would doing Test Pipes and a new Y Pipe change anything?

The craftsmanship of the Nouvalari exhaust is incredible and for the money its a home run for sure. The fit and finish is equal to anything coming out of Germany for 3 times the price and now I know why these systems are favored with you guys.

I posted many short videos on my Instagram page please head over and check those out over the last few days @autofanatic_cars

The videos highlight the best part of the exhaust and that is the 7k-8500 range this engine and muffler seems to sing best. I will be doing a full video for my Youtube channel this week including some in car drone footage and sounds for guys to hear..

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #2 lanab, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    I have the Nouvalari SS with their 200 cells cat and still original headers.

I do agree there is some drone at idle but it goes away when you get at higher rpms, also to be noted i had no upper heat shield and the drone was very hard to live with but with the upper heat shield in place i beleive the drone is acceptable, i can't compare with Tubi as i never had a Tubi.

Removing the cats for test pipes is a bad idea in your situation as the drone will get even worse, i think the drone is amplified by the rear bumper so any way to sound dampening would be an idea, i was quite surprised how much the upper heat shield really dampened the drone.

But as you said, the craftsmanship is up there with Capristo, however i beleive you get the true F1 sound with the Nouvalari at higher rpms and the drone nearly goes away, the SS is not for everyone, you might try the vanilla Sport version if you can't sort out the drone issue.

The exhaust bypass valve is closed in my case and will open at the usual rpms.....

You might try the Nouvalari headers as they are based on the original tube design, i will get them once the original headers are done.

3. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    @Drock28, @chris1866 - do you guys get any of the drone at idle?

Nouvalari described the exhaust options this way:

Not sure if anyone has experience with the regular Sport version.. There are some after market options for sheet sound/heat insulation around the muffler if you wanted to try to tune the noise.

4. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    Yes, and I love it! I agree with an above commentor that the Nouvalari systems might be the ultimate match for these flat-plane beasts. The '97 Spider I know to have the Nouvalari Sport muffler, Fabspeed bypass pipes, and OE headers provides the most gloriously enunciated F1 note I have ever heard from a road car.

It is loud, but it's tasteful. I wouldn't like it as much if it were any quieter or if it were any louder. It's juuuuust right. :D

5. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    thanks for posting up guys, I do love the sound overall and the fit and finish is superb but that low idle drone is just bad and obnoxious to be cruising in the NYC Tri State villages and towns. I may look into sound proofing the inside of the bumper cover it seems the drone resonance frequency is being amplified by the body of the car and cavities in the engine compartment.

the one thing i notice and my friends have noticed is with the new SS muffler fitted there is a substantial increase in power and how the car pulls my friends were in this car from day 1 and noticeably see and feel the change as pretty dramatic.

6. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Thanks I just ordered one! Let's see if you're right :D I'll combine it with a catless Y-pipe for a bit of edginess when the valve opens or is wired open when I do want that extra volume the Super Sport would offer.

ShineKen likes this.
  7. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    my current setup.. Fabpseed headers, stock cats, nouvalari y-pipe, nouvalari SS exhaust. on a 5.2

pure cold start.. it rumbles nicely, but not too loud. however once full temp the idle is actually quite louder.
    low speed/rpm side streets, I don't find its obnoxious, but it has a reasonable rumble.
    main streets medium speed and highway speed. I find its more then reasonable. but yes you will hear the exhaust even when maintaining steady cruising speed. which I assume is what known as drown. but I am so used to it, don't even notice.
    full throttle jabs, it screams nicely.

it took me a while to learn the mystic between the 2.7 and 5.2. in reality they both sound very different. which I believe your car is indeed a 2.7.
    no matter the setup.. the 5.2 will never scream the same as a 2.7

this may be the reason what you are experiencing.. meaning your 2.7 is producing more volume in those varying conditions then a 5.2 would.

as said above, don't put in test pipes.. for sure it would scream like crazy, but it will increase much more what you described.

I would consider putting in a set of stock cats and put a catless y-pipe. this is what I did..
    in addition I found my car to run much better/smoother with stock cats in place, versus the 2 years I had test pipes.

this way it quiets it down with bypass closed.. but at higher rpm pulls, with bypass open + catless ypipe will keep the scream..

nouvalari has a catless 2.7 ypipe for cheap.

treedee3d likes this.
  8. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Finally got my car back with the Nouvalari Sports muffler!! So now my set up is: 2.7 with rebuilt headers and OEM shield, Kreissieg Y-pipe, primary cats still in place and then the Nouvalari.

I think you're right on the volume.. with the Sports version, the drone from 1000-2500 RPM is just exactly as loud as it can be without getting annoying. The sound overall has a great balance through the range and a nice reverberation around 5k. With the Y-pipe cat delete there is a noticeable change when the valve opens but not dramatic at all. Top end in tunnels is amazing of course :D

Happy with my setup now, but the geometry leaves a bit to be desired. The muffler is touching the bell housing so plan to take the airboxes off again and see if I can wiggle things around and get some insulation in between.

thoroughbred_1002 and ShineKen like this.
  9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    We need pics of that spiral Y-Pipe !!

10. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    #10 Culprit, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    Here it is! Definitely feels more responsive when the valve is open. It's ceramic coated but actually measures hotter than the OEM configuration. I think I just reduced the heat emission by painting it black.

Might be getting new headers eventually, so looking forward to your impressions of the Larini stuff -- but for now next items to worry about will be refinishing my wheels and getting new tires etc.

Attached Files:

• Y0.jpg
      Y0.jpg
      File size:
      91.2 KB
      Views:
    • y4.jpg
      y4.jpg
      File size:
      94.8 KB
      Views:
  11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Looks epic man! First time seeing it on a car. Worth it?

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Kokose7en likes this.
  13. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ooooo please post a sound clip with that Y-pipe!
    Sorry I missed the "mention" from above back in Sept. I don't think it drones at all at low RPM with the bypass closed. I have a Capristo bypass valve which works opposite to OEM so you can "wire it open" just by pulling the vacuum line on the top. I tried that and it is obnoxious and unbearable at low RPMs.....literally headache inducing, so for me, the bypass is critical to have operational. The only thing I've noticed is that it isn't quite as loud as I'd like with the bypass open. I am seriously considering the Nouvalari Y-pipe to see if it gives me a little more volume/scream up top.

14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Anyone have pics of the Nouvalari Y-pipe? I can't seem to find any.

15. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden

Attached Files:

ShineKen likes this.
  16. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    the temptation is strong...

17. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    As my car is torn down this winter restoring the underside and stuff i have decided to sell the Nouvalari SS muffler. I personally love it and the quality is awesome but my main goal is to replace the manifolds and other stuff and I want to stick with one brand for everything. The Nouvalari SS muffler Is brand new about 80 miles on it. So if anyone who sees this thread is interested and patient send me a DM. I wont remove it til sometime next month i anticipate. You can view lots of videos and sound clips on my Instagram page @autofanatic_cars.

18. Edan a

Edan a Rookie

Nov 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Filthy sex
    I might be interested, if the price is right. I don't have permission to DM it seems. DM me.

19. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Just send you a message on here but the exhaust is now listed on Ebay FYI

20. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    So what are you switching it out with? Are you going Tubi for everything? Let us know how things compare.

21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Nice vid of Nouvalari system.

Still missing that extra sharp F1 wail in the Capristo.

22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Absolutely beautiful car btw. I’ve watched quite a few of your vids.

23. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    dude - you live near where i grew up. love the bronx river when its empty

24. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    tubi evolution is the end all!

25. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    the Capristo is already on the car but the weather is awful I have yet to drive it so it will be maybe end of March or sometime in April before I take the car out the bottom and chassis is so highly detailed now i can not risky ruining all my efforts you can see progress of my work on my instagram feed at @autofanatic_cars

ShineKen likes this.