Shields , a must have option for resale | FerrariChat

Shields , a must have option for resale

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Quietriot, Nov 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    I looked around Ferrarichat and could not find a good answer.

When did Shields become a must option on the car?

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ironically on the new Roma you can't even order shields.

Shields were a marketing gimmick from Luca De Montezemolo and started it in the early 2000's. And, it probably brought in millions of extra $$$ for selling $1800 shields that costed $10.

4. ilCapo

ilCapo Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2020
    Italy, Canada, the Cayman Islands
    Full Name:
    Frank Schilling
    Luca is a smart guy.. but if you really want to look like you know the secret handshake, order the hand painted shields - about 5k per side (must buy 2) .. They don’t deboss the fender like the standard scud-shields, so the car’s natural lines remain intact. Hand painted shields are slightly bigger, so they really look the business on larger road cars like the sf90 and 812. Order the way Enzo himself would. You won’t miss the 10k and you’ll earn the unstinting respect of those in the secret club of hand painted shield ballers and tastemakers

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Unh unh.

SV

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well I'll be damned. First photo I've seen with one.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Any car where there was a factory option for them....as dumb as it may sound, I bet if you polled a group of prospective buyers on what is the single must have option, I bet shields and red paint finish 1 and 2.

cole328 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have had a 550m without and my current 550m has them. I like them.

LARRYH likes this.
  9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    sometime after 95 or 96 i think...95 355s and 94 512tr didnt come with shields.

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    That's a rather gross generalization. When I was looking for my 360, I had shields and rosso corsa on the list until I was presented with my car. It didn't have shields. It wasn't red. I bought it anyway.

A serious buyer will consider the car as a whole and not write one off because it's missing a non-functional trinket. One does not drive a shield.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Yes, you can certainly order them.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes you can but it seems like most ordering the Roma are not. That's a new trend because its been the opposite.

13. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I prefer Roma's without the shields but still, a number of our customers are ordering their Roma with Shields - I would guess at least 60-70%. The majority of early Roma's that have delivered in the US have been Demos. Dealers tended to not go with shields following Ferrari's launch of the Roma without Shields.

You will start seeing a lot more customer Roma's moving forward and expect to see a lot more shields on Roma's for better or for worse.

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I think Shields belong on race cars, but that is just me.

boxerman, NYC Fred, Boomhauer and 5 others like this.
  15. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    jkddad, Boomhauer, LARRYH and 3 others like this.
  16. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    IMHO, the farther a Ferrari is from a race car, the less appropriate it is to have shields. I've had two with stick-on shields, but both were race cars with substantial racing livery, so it made sense- at least to me.
    Frankly, the shields seem particularly out of place on the many GT cars- as opposed to sports cars- that Ferrari builds these days. They're barely Ferraris, much less race cars, so shields smack of poseur-ism (if that's a word!) to me.

boxerman, NYC Fred, It's Ross and 5 others like this.
  17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    From the Roma thread, no shields seems to be more popular in Europe than the US delivered cars, although the latter are few thus far.

Wow. That must be rare for a mid-engine V8! I had mine covered over, and combined with the low key color, the # of people who recognize it as a Ferrari has dwindled down greatly, which is fine by me. I agree w/ the comment that if you are going for the shields, go for the larger painted ones. I saw my first F-car last week in the metal w/ the painted shields (812 SF) and it was sharp looking; good fit to the large flanks of a car like the 812 IMO...T

Nospinzone likes this.
  18. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Love the shields!

papou and Nospinzone like this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I love the shields. It’s a Ferrari after all. However i would never get those on a classic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nospinzone likes this.
  20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You are a definate outlier, not getting either option. No, most serious buyers seem to be attracted to those 2 options like a moth to flame. Things like "resale red" and aftermarket shields being available and popular prove my point.

There are so many Ferraris of most models available at any one time (there were like 16,000 360s produced) that buyers can easily skip over the non-red, non-shield cars. When I was shopping for my Lamborghini Diablo Roadster there was only 142 world wide so it took a while to find one in a desirable color.....and thank goodness ALL of them have shields :)

And even you had both on your list....

21. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I ordered my Roma without them. The car has such clean, classical lines I think shields would detract from the car aesthetically. I do like them on my Scud.

x z8, LARRYH, Texas Forever and 2 others like this.
  22. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    They were on the "want" list, not "must have". For me, the only "must haves" were gated and condition.

23. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're obviously a man of taste. You don't live in west Memphis!

Boomhauer and EastMemphis like this.
  24. MarkTodd

MarkTodd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I like the look of the shields on race/track focused Fcars like the Scuderia, Speciale,and Pista. Beautiful GT's like the 812 and Roma look better without.

tomc likes this.
  25. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    While my car has them from the factory, I consider the shields to be tacky and downright ostentatious. Almost as bad as having a license plate frame that says "My other car is a ________."

boxerman, NYC Fred, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.