458 - Ferrari 458 DCT issue , code P1907 SoCal | FerrariChat

458 Ferrari 458 DCT issue , code P1907 SoCal

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458Piloti, Oct 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA
    #1 458Piloti, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Hi, I’ve done a lot of searching, here is my situation.

2010 Italia has been running great just one small issue last year with flaps which was solved.

the car has close to 37k miles. today I got the gearbox light , then noticed the car skipping even gears and only going 1-3-5-7 this happens for a few seconds then it’s fine, also reverse sometimes won’t engage ..but then it’s all fine (light stays on, goes away on restart then returns)
    I scanned the car with my tool and the code I got was P1907 which when searched only shows a Ferrari bulletin saying :
    APP_CLUTCH_
    PRESSURE_EVEN, too
    low (even shaft pressure
    command signal too
    low)
    EVEN clutch (2) pressure sensor or
    EVEN clutch solenoid valve
    malfunctioning.
    CCP /
    Pressure
    sensor 812

So it seems I have the dreaded dct failure , I know of a couple of good shops like fast cars (best around) and Modena but I don’t think they’ve done the dct fix before, I called the dealer in Newport and they said it could be anywhere from $10,000+ because they charge $225/hr they just did a 2013 but needed entire trans and it was $25,000 for that. He also said the problem with dct is rare and not limited to 2010-2011 but he’s even seen 2015s , but again said it’s rare on 458 more of a Ferrari California Ozzie

I’ve seen a few people post here saying they have done it around $4,000- $6,000 , so where in SoCal have you gotten it done? Or is that a myth?

And NO it is not a bad battery. The fault started this morning, goes away on restart but comes rite back-
    I am truly devastated. Maybe some advice on what to do or where to go from someone in SoCal with prior experience I don’t have a warranty and it’s not the battery!!

I’m going to take it to fast cars Ltd eventually but just want to gather as much info and advice first until they can get me in.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Reach out to CFI designs in Montclair. He’s already done a DCT repair on a 2012 and knows where to purchase the sensors/parts. Please keep us posted.

458Piloti likes this.
  3. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA

Attached Files:

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Woow, I was informed here in NL / Europe that the oem F dealers are able to repair most electricparts now in house.

Dis you ask ?

Keep-us-in-the-loop … it may happen to us too :-(

5. Amrit Singh

Amrit Singh Rookie

Mar 17, 2016
    Full Name:
    Amrit
    perhaps try to change the DCT fluid I know a lot of guys would say its a sealed unit and its not required, however, when I changed my DCT fluid the colour of it was shocking. Few guys would recommend Redline DCT but I managed to get hold of the Shell DCT F3. have a search on eBay theres two places UK and Netherlands. Hope this resolves the issue

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Before you change the fluid maybe consider taking a sample and sending it out for analysis

it would be interesting to see if it had degraded.

37,000 miles is not the issue. But perhaps the age of the fluid if greater than 5 years.

also I would use factory recommended fluids, which any shop should be able to source.

One of the very best Ferrari Getrag DCT master mechanics is located at Ferrari of Los Angeles, an authorized service center.

Just my 2 cents

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I would run through the battery disconnect / reconnect just for good measure, even if the battery is healthy.

Also, changing the oil - as others have mentioned - could help. If there is sludge built up inside, it could be negatively affecting pressure in some line or something.

Google "Getrag 7DCL750" and you can find pictures and further info on the gearbox itself, as well as shops setup to service these boxes.

Ray

F485 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    This video gives some idea of what it's like to pull the gearbox out and swap it:

F485 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  9. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    This is a really common failure. The pressure sensors in the in the boxes are prone to failure. You can purchase the sensors separately.
    The other really common failure items is the rear speed sensor which I would recommend doing while your in there.

Need4Spd likes this.
  10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Are those sensors in the center section or is there any way to access / replace them with the gearbox still in the car?

Ray

11. Amrit Singh

Amrit Singh Rookie

Mar 17, 2016
    Full Name:
    Amrit
    depends on which sensors you want to replace, the speed sensor which is a level 3 repair sits in the back part of the box so you would need to completely open up the gearbox and you would need a least 3 special tools for that. One to remove the back cover and 2 special pullers to remove the sleeves to remove the 2nd case then you would have access to the speed sensor. The CCP and SAP is a little easier as no special tools are required.

If you google the tools required for this gearbox you will see what’s required.

I had my made as I wasn’t able to find a good gearbox tech so I had to do the rebuild myself.

12. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    As someone already stated. no way to do it in the car.

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm with you. As the saying goes: if you want it done right, do it yourself :)

Ray

14. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA
    Well guys Ferrari told me it’s the pressure sensor and the speed sensor even though there isn’t a code for speed sensor. But anyways if I do the pressure sensor might as well do speed sensor as preventative .

Ferrari quote is close to $12,000 as their labor rate is so high and they are telling me the kit alone is $4500. I found an Indy shop which has done a few of them and known for doing 458 gearbox that I will check with

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I wonder who makes the pressure sensor in question?

Ray

Alm likes this.
  16. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Probably Mickey Mouse made the sensors inside the trans for the 458..i'm almost convinced its a matter of "when" not "If" enough heat cycles will end up doing those sensors in, and its on all year models according to every knowledgable actual tech i've spoken with..the "Myth" of it being early cars is simply a myth..i hate to say this but i think anyone buying a 458 needs to set aside $10-$12K for this issue (not a huge deal in the big picture because otherwise they are great cars)

Ferrari should have had a recall or at least offered to pay 50% of the fix for this issue just as porsche have extended the warranty on their early 2014 GT3's that had engine problems 10 years 120K miles..now thats a company that gives a sh*t about its buyers..Ferrari..not so much!

17. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron

Which indy shop did you find that has done a few of them?

18. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA
    Raging Bull Performance

19. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Seems like there have been a couple threads about costly DCT issues with the 458 floating around. Isn't the Getrag box used across other marques & models? Peculiar if it's an issue only for the car with the cavallino on it....I guess we can chalk it up to part of the Italian drama

20. craigburton

craigburton Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Yes this gearbox is used by other cars, the difference is how the power is delivered through them amongst other things such as cooling and software, so these factors will affect how the gearboxes perform in terms of reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sampelligrino likes this.
  21. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    The gear box itself is very solid & isn't the problem, its just the stupid sensors inside the gearbox...the only reason it was a "Huge issue" is because Ferrari wouldn't allow for the gear boxes to be opened and sensors fixed, so gearboxes had to be replaced with new ones..now though is a diff story, $7-$8K at indy shops & $10-$12k at dealers to open it, replace sensors (and from what i understand they use updated sensors with better wiring)

22. Amrit Singh

Amrit Singh Rookie

Mar 17, 2016
    Full Name:
    Amrit
    if anyone is. looking for a gearbox I have a spare one. fitted with new speed sensor and new bearing seals and bushes

23. PANOWES360

PANOWES360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    Full Name:
    BOBBY
    What do you want for the transmission?

24. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If your gearbox is not damaged then all you need are sensors.
    As far as changing the fluid, you will have to drain the fluid in order to change the sensors.
    The reason why you only get one side of the box is to prevent you from damaging the box. Don’t drive it and get the work done.
    Otherwise, you could damage the internals and then you will need a new box which will end up costing you more money where ever you go to do the work meaning independent or authorized service center, Ferrari does offer a warranty on genuine parts installed by authorized service center. That warranty covers replacement of the part including labor. I’m not sure if it covers the sensors. You should ask and if it does think of the value of such a warranty as that might help you decided where to go

25. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Ivan Drago likes this.