SSC Tuatara | Page 4 | FerrariChat

SSC Tuatara

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Feb 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #76 BJK, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Response from Oliver James Webb (driver of car used for record run) - says he doesn't have any answers?!
    Of course he is only the driver and it falls on SSC to set the record straight.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CG5O1zXhv6h/

2. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    I have to say the drama over this from the last few days have been hugely entertaining.

3. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    SSC North America answered.

In summary: video edit mistake

...Still doesn't explain why on that "slow attempt" we can see such high real-time(?) GPS speed on the laptop in the passanger seat...

Jerod Shelby Explains World Record

4. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Man, 2020 is wild

Thecadster likes this.
  5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The GPS speed on the laptop is not in-sync with the overlay on the video data. For most of the run over 300mph the laptop is ahead by 0.5 to 1 mph. The laptop never reads over 330 mph. Even when it hits 331.5 on the overlay the laptop reads 330.xxx and even after. So that run may very likely be different from the actual data shown on the overlay.

The gearing they provided makes more sense if there is in fact a top speed version. Would make more sense to have gears you can switch out like in a race car to allow flexibility depending on what an owner wants rather than a fixed ratio set.

6. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

7. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    interesting perspective...

CK7684 likes this.
  8. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I'd say these guys need to be careful with what statements they make against SSC as if that damages their reputation and orders lost that would be defamation and would cause a lot of problems.

For instance, the Dewetron discussion and saying no one from Dewetron or Guinness was there to watch...did SSC claim that? I don't. I see them saying due to COVID they had to do Dewetron remote setup. Validated by Dewetron vs not in what way? The equipment validated a speed...not sure if that statement they are quoting was referencing a specific individual at making a statement saying it's validated vs the company's product. I'm playing devil's advocate here but to jump and start claiming it's false and SSC needs to come out and apologize things weren't right seems to be a stretch of a request.

9. TopspeedPT

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal

https://www.sscnorthamerica.com/news/ssc-tuatara-hypercar-earns-worlds-fastest-production-vehicle-title

Now Dewetron says they weren't there. Who is lying?

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Maybe it just warps time. Didn’t it already launch like ten years ago in fact?

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Okay so now reading that as if we are in the court of law, where does it say Dewetron was there? It says "officials" but what exactly does that mean? Guinness? Dewetron? We know neither would be there for COVID purposes. The later statement says two "independent" individuals were there to visually confirm the speed measured on Dewetron equipment. Perhaps those are officials? Guinness btw is not the only body that makes world record claims. They didn't say Guinness was the one there.

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    And because of COVID and no Guinness on site they mention the 2 independent witnesses (officials perhaps?) in today's statement.

https://www.sscnorthamerica.com/news/jerod-shelby-explains-world-record

13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    wow when a company is going for any world record and then claims it, they better be sure to have the proof in perfect order. this is a bad look for a small company looking to make a name for itself regardless of the final outcome. shouldve had it documented properly from the beginning.

14. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I think it would be good publicity to do the run again and shut everyone up. They could work this in their favor.

Boomhauer, Face76 and LarryC like this.
  15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If they were lying that’s pretty bad.

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    No clue whether they actually achieved the speed they claim (I would tend to believe they did) but the fact they were so badly prepared to show undisputable evidence is not really confidence inspiring - if they manufacture their cars in the same casual way, I'd be slightly concerned to drive one at 200 mph...

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    “A laptop sitting in the passenger seat of the car appears to show the same data as that projected on the screen, and driver Oliver Webb can be seen emphatically celebrating after the run. Both of these facts would seemingly contradict the manufacturer's claim that the released footage shows an earlier and slower test run.”

https://www.caradvice.com.au/896193/ssc-tuatara-508-7km-h-speed-record-footage-was-substantially-incorrect/

Ssc’s current silence is deafening. Only redemption would have been not knowing the telemetry wasn’t working properly but the way they are behaving kinda eliminates that possibility too

TopspeedPT likes this.
  18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Company response...finally.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  19. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Looking forward to the next run! Hopefully they can hit the theoretical max of 340-350!

imahorse and Thecadster like this.
  20. TopspeedPT

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    Re-run is the easier way out.

The laptop real-time GPS speed vs distance/time would be impossible to explain. So they just scrapped it and moved on.
    I would like to see the raw footage...

21. TopspeedPT

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
  22. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I haven't heard of either of those two YouTubers until this high speed run questioning came up. Shmee is the only of the 3 I've heard of. At 2 minutes when he says he's not happy with the proposal and I started to laugh. What more could the guy want than to be allowed to see it in person himself? Makes no sense...that guy will never be satisfied and probably just making drama for YouTube views.

23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    The way I see it it’s pretty much an admission of guilt from Shelby who couldn’t hide behind his lies anymore and unless the re-run happens very very soon he’s lost all credibility.
    Unfortunately I bet he’ll find any excuse to delay it now if it’ll ever even happen. Sad.

24. TopspeedPT

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
  25. TopspeedPT

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    He runs a car rental company named APEX, along with Misha Charoudin, at Nordschleife.
    You can rent lots of cars to use at the track, like: VW GTI, Toyota GT86, M2, etc. Also Ring Taxis: McLaren 600R, Porsche GT2RS, M4.
    He has alot of track experience.