Asheville | FerrariChat

Asheville

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by schwoo, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Wife and I are headed to Asheville North Carolina this weekend. We already have a place to stay, but I’m looking for recommendations for fine dining. What are your favorite restaurants? And are there any must see must do activities? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    the best driving roads in the US and maybe the world are about 2 hours south. Google Tail of the Dragon. There is a place in Murphy NC where you can rent Porsches and drive on these roads. You are welcome.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    We just spent our anniversary there last weekend and are headed back this Saturday for a little drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We enjoyed dinner at the Red Stag Grill located in the Grand Bohemian Hotel and dinner at our hotel, the Inn at Biltmore. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

This will be a near-peak weekend for leaves, so expect a lot of traffic in/around town.

5. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Hopefully they dramatically improve from this last weekend.

6. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kent Adams
    There are a few highly rated restaurants in Asheville, my hometown. I suggest Trip Advisor for recommendations. As far as the leafs, I'm afraid they are past their peak. If you want some challenging driving, forget the Tail of the Dragon, that's amateur hour compared to the Diamond Back which is near Marion, NC on 226-A (about 45 minutes from Asheville). The drive from Spruce Pine to Blowing Rock NC along the Blue Ridge Parkway is spectacular.

7. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    If you feel like going for a drive with a stop for food you could see if the Pisgah Inn restaurant has any tables available. Absolutely beautiful view from their bar/deck and inside the restaurant full of massive windows.

8. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks for the advice AT. I just called them but they are booked for lunch/dinner the next 7 days. :( you’re right about the view. Pics on the website look great.

Disappointed about the leaves. Bad year for them it seems. Last week, this week, next week...I’ve heard all 3 are the peak from Ashevillelites but either way it’s a down year for color.

9. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Thecadster and Big Swole like this.
  10. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    And was a bumper to bumper mess last weekend... :(

11. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I bet!

12. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Yesterday drove Skyline Drive, nice leaves but very crowded. Better luck last Sunday on the BRP from Sparta, NC to Waynesboro, VA. Less crowded and almost 300 miles and 10 hours in the Ferrari, twisty overload!

Still on a driving binge, Smokey’s, Asheville and some great roads await. Keep sending suggestions, as we will be south on BRP to the end, then in TN and GA, ending in Asheville.

The 458 will see more miles in these 2 weeks than most garage queens ever see, Laoal!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Agreed on the roads. But you cannot really unwind a 458 on the Tail, it’s simply too much car for the very tight twisties.

14. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Wait for me! I’ll be there Saturday...along with a few 100 others it seems.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Waddya bringing? Could meet up if we can work out the logistics.......but expect crowds

16. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Bringing the heat in my 488. ;) Hoping to hop on the BRP at Asheville at 10:30 Saturday then head south to Courthouse Overlook then hop off and head home via Cashiers, that is if this rain forecast improves.

17. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Wasn't on the Parkway last weekend, but a friend was, and I was the weekend before.

Gonna say? It is SO much fun, when a mess of folks on bicycles decide that they want to exercise their right to be on the road... Often NO passing zones. They aren't doing even 3mph on some blind uphills.

I'm almost kinda shocked that I hear more accounts of motorcycle accidents than bicycles.

Either way? If you can't do the 35 mph posted speed of the BRP (or, 45 in some spots?) Get the HELL off, for your safety, and that of others.

18. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Two schools of thought here, since I’m also an avid cyclist.....

A lot of folks use BRP and Skyline Drive as part of an epic cycling trip. You have to respect the fact these roads are shared, and a cyclist is at a huge disadvantage in a situation like this. Most that I see are traveling heavy, stay right and are well lit. That’s the best case scenario.

I do (and did last weekend) see a number of them with dark clothing, no lights, and the sun was setting. Very hard to see. Rather surprising and not good for them or cars.

A big problem is the design of the roads themselves. They are very tight with no bike lane, so it forces cyclists on the road itself. I do not ride my bike on either of these roads, but do respect those that do.

Many motorcyclists are respectful and maintain speed, but pocket rockets are in a separate class and disproportionately cause accidents and contribute to the fatality rates on these roads. They’re not sightseeing, but testing the limits on very twisty roads and causing undue risk.

19. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Thanks for the tip … we had planned on having our Harley's shipped to Asheville this past August ( and then ride them back to MN ), but Covid wrecked our plans. However, I'll put this little tidbit in the memory banks - hopefully we'll do it next summer :)

MDS

20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hmm... what about a Porsche GT4?

VAF84 likes this.
  21. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Gettin’ warmer - looks like a good match......

I had the 996 C2 which was jusssssst about perfect for roads like that. This car could be tossed like a salad and was perfect for very tight twisty roads, but only 300 hp. Rarely was it wanting for power.

Good news is I’ve mapped out the next several days, and should be on open roads more befitting of the 458.

We’re headed into West-by-God-VA (WBGV) starting Saturday. Canaan Valley, Spruce Knob, Monongahela Nat’l Forest, down time Greenbrier, then further SW into the George Washington Nat’l Forest, and into TN for visits to Smoky Nat’l Park and Pisgah Nat’l Park.

Will be cose to Pigeon Forge and certainly Asheville.

Some of the best roads in that part of the world........

mikesufka and Texas Forever like this.
  22. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Would love to hear more about the roads and your trip ...

MDS

23. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
  24. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Such a photogenic car, Andy. I freaking love it.

AD211 likes this.
  25. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Andy,

We decided to head west and north, taking 33 West out of Harrisonburg, VA to Seneca Rocks, WV. Then......

RT 55 W to Harmon, one of the most challenging roads I’ve been on.

Rt 32 N through the gorgeous Canaan Valley to Thomas, WV

Doubled back to Harmon, then jumped on 219 S Seneca Trail to Lewisburg, WV where we currently are. It was about 300 miles of ‘spirited’ driving, and quite frankly, I’m a bit tired this AM.

Your car is stunning and awesome! Love the carbon shields and roof! I hope you got to exercise it as I did mine. I’m looking at the F8 and will still probably go Bianco......

By the way, the roads in WV are in beautiful shape, lots of twists and turns, steep mountainous grades, and mostly wide open, with little traffic. Highly recommended. So I really pushed the limits of the car, LOL! A few white knuckle moments to be sure.

More mountainous driving await us to southern VA, then NC and TN. We’re eventually gonna finish the BRP to the southern end.....

Meanwhile, a few pics from yesterday.

William
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 3026611

Attached Files: