6 Speed Conversion | Page 14 | FerrariChat

6 Speed Conversion

Discussion in '360/430' started by rsmitchell10, Dec 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rsmitchell10

rsmitchell10 Karting

Aug 21, 2016
    Atlanta
    True...you never know until you try. Still giving it thought but if I got a decent offer I'd let it go.

2. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  4. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
  5. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
  6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I wld have taken that if i was the seller

AandSC and rennspeed like this.
  7. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    agreed, it was a strong bid

8. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I wonder what the difference is?

9. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason

10. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    EAG conversion doesn't use OE ferrari-manufactured parts, since they're so difficult to come by.

Converting in the hopes of making a pile of money, may not be the wisest option.

Converting because you want to row your own and not pay the premium for an "original" gated car (moreso F430/599 than 360) since you intend to put a load of miles on it, that's likely where most of these are headed.

Though it probably would still command a higher price if/when you decide to sell, it's not likely to pull the *SAME* money as an equivalent "original" gated car.

Proooooobably a 599 conversion would be the optimal one to go with to make a decent amount of money especially if you're able to do the wrenching yourself, given the extremely wide gulf between gated/f1 cars at the moment.

I'm in no position for it, so I'll live vicariously through Dan's YT channel for the time being.

one4torque likes this.
  11. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Some of the earlier conversions did use oem parts ...

I agree though it's simply supply and demand; the more conversions are available the lower the premium they will command over F1 cars (if any at the extreme..)

12. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    My conversion should be completed imminently, with OEM parts. Probably not the case moving forward, as you've mentioned.

Kevin

armedferret likes this.
  13. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yeah we're in that transitional period where they have *SOME* OE parts which are becoming far more difficult to source but generally speaking they're moving to in-house fab as they spin up for more capacity, from what i've seen around here. Which should mean less delay, ability to improve upon some parts (i.e. the plastic bushing ricambi also updated with metal), all the good things that hopefully will cause them more success. :)

brogenville and kes7u like this.
  14. rsmitchell10

rsmitchell10 Karting

Aug 21, 2016
    Atlanta
    FYI, that I'll be offering my 06 Spider conversion for sale shortly if you know anyone who is looking for a completed/sorted example.

15. PPW

PPW Karting

Oct 4, 2019
    Has anyone else heard anything about their conversion?

The reasons I’m being given as you the delay don’t make sense and am getting very worried. Also, I’ve called several times this week and haven’t received a response even though my car was supposed to be completed this week (as it was in weeks past too)...

kes7u likes this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Whats there to worry about? Im not worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Perhaps I should be worried?

My car has been down there since the first week of February. They have had my money for the OEM parts for over 13 months now. I have also been told multiple times that my car would be completed shortly. The most recent time, I was told the car would be completed and out the door by the end of the week. This was 3 and a half weeks ago.

I'm not trying to malign anyone, just providing the facts. Would others not be concerned???

Kevin

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i speak to art every day. there is nothing nefarious going on so there is nothing to worry about. both ferrari and the best independents run into issues sourcing parts. i have a 512tr thats been hung up for over a year and my 456gtma spent 9 months at wideworld waiting for a headlight actuator. The factory isn't always transparent either, as we all know. If you read this thread you know the oem parts recently became unattainable. Art is working day and night finalizing the shift gates. I know this for a fact because i helped him source the machine shop. If EAG is guilty of anything its charging for the entire kit upfront, which they are changing going forward. I ordered my kit (aftermarket as i didnt want OEM) in August, i paid in full, and i have zero worries.

Kevin i will specifically ask about your kit when i speak to Art today.

armedferret and kes7u like this.
  19. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    If the parts are already fabricated or available, each car should take no more than a week to finish. Sounds like they are either fine tuning some of the in house built parts or they flat out just aren't ready yet. Either way, good customer communication goes a long way when issues arise. I hope to see some of these cars completed soon to see how they function compared to OE manual cars.

20. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I truly appreciate you checking on my car.

Art has always been courteous and pleasant with me, and I've been the same in return.

Several months back, I even offered to switch from the OEM to aftermarket parts, (with price difference rebate) if that would make things any quicker / easier.

Thanks again.
    Kevin

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes they are fine tuning the last piece, the shifter gates. this was supposed to be done 2 weeks ago but the machine shop screwed up. EAS has put and continues to put alot of time and money in the R&D.

100% agree communication is paramount and Art has received that message. he and the guys are literally working 20 hours a day a quite a few cars have been delivered.

I know someone who owns a factory stick 430 and has spent time in an EAG car. the feedback is the EAG car shifts cleaner and crisper.

armedferret likes this.
  22. PPW

PPW Karting

Oct 4, 2019

Here is the matter of fact here.

1. EAG has had my money since June 15th and the car since July 4th
    2. EAG has said for a month that the car is complete except for a shift gate.
    3. I offered to have one manufacturer for them, at zero cost to them
    4. They refused. They wouldn’t send the scan of the shift gate to another machine shop (who even offered to sign an NDA). Funny part is the reason they refused is because they said they had IP on a rip-off of a Ferrari part. If they had sent it, the gate would have been there the next day.
    5. It has been almost a month.
    6. They send me photos of a gate they apparently had made and said three of the teeth were cut incorrectly. This is impossible as they have made these before off of a file and the machine doesn’t make a mistake, you load the file, put the metal in and push go.
    7. They have said several things that just aren’t true about machining such as you need a 5 axis CNC to cut a shift gate and it can’t be done on a 4. The only difference between a 5 and 4 axis is that you don’t have to manually turn over the part to do the back side. Also, the shift gate could absolutely be done on a 3 (my friends shop has numerous 4 axis machines).

Most worriesom is that they are telling me that my car is delayed for a part that they should have had in stock or could have ordered when they got my $13,000 back in June (4 months ago tomorrow).

Why do you think they wouldn’t have ordered parts before, or at least when they got my money

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    of course, happy to help. i think going to the aftermarket kit is wise as i mentioned in the previous post, feedback so far is the aftermarket kit is better functionally, which makes sense as the aftermarket parts are newer, made better and probably lighter. i don't see the market differentiating at all between cars that have oem vs aftermarket kits. my 2 cents.

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    didn't you get a 3rd party involved who in-fact failed to deliver on a timely eta?

you are wrong about number 6 as i have been involved.

you sound agitated. is this the first ferrari or the first ferrari project you have done that has taken longer than you wld like?

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    and fwiw, there is another guy in this thread who i helped resolve an issue he had with Art. now that the issue has been resolved, he is badgering other members here to allow him to view the parts so he can start copying them. Art is the only one who figured out how to convert these things and bring it to market. its not like he figured out how to do one and asked for a trophy. There are techs/guys i know and respect who have 25 yrs experience and access to the factory and they looked at this in the past and cldnt crack the code. So, you are free to feel as you do, but Art sending files to random people makes no sense and you wld never do it if you were in shoes, that's a fact.

ive said it half a dozen times, EAG has made 3 mistakes:
    1) charging in full when order placed
    2) under communicating (fixed about a month ago)
    3) charging too little for the conversions which caused far greater demand and not enough supply

all of these 3 issues have been acknowledged , addressed, and rectified.

rsmitchell10 likes this.