What's For Dinner? | Page 588 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Food oriented is good, especially when it comes to training. Our dog was not as a puppy, so add in stubborn terrier tendencies, and training her was a chore. Then we settled on - she likes to be spoiled, we like spoiling her, and everything is fine. :p

@BrettC @NbyNW Wife bought me a whole bag of Myer lemons @ Kroger. Give me some ideas!
    You guys are the F-chat Citrus Kings! :D

T

2. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The one time long ago when I made them. I did them on the grill.
    Marinated in olive oil, garlic, etc. And then hot & fast.
    Served with a peri-peri style dipping sauce.
    T

3. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    She also likes the chew toys I bought. She knows sit, down and come from treats.

4. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Hey Tom! I live near Modesto in the central valley calif, so besides being near the largest winery in the world, E & J Gallo, we have grapes being grown everywhere. Lodi is a 45 minute drive so I go get the grapes, stem & crush, ferment and press. Been doing homemade wine for 24 years now. 1st year I passed due to smoke damage to the grapes from the fires...ashtray taste not pleasing. I have about 14 barrel's I need to bottle if your coming my way and want to give up some manual labor! Remember, you can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

tomc likes this.
  5. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    NbyNW likes this.
  6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    No way, Brett, my manual labors days are behind me! :D
    T

BrettC likes this.
  7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    BrettC likes this.
  8. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Caviar from "caviar lover" website. Kaluga from Amur river bordering china and russia. Great on sale at 40% off on Amur Kaluga right now. The other was an ossetra from california. Here is the baby octopus deep fried, dipped in my ranch fresh eggs from my girls, fried in panko and dipping sauce of a garlic aioli. Washed down with a Zinfandel, I think a 10 or 11, was our wedding wine as this is October 11, our anniversary. Six years of "bliss" ;-) Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    The octopus was literally fantastic....tender but not too much. Wifey's new favorite, my 22 old son says best octopus effort yet....Clams and linguine tonight!

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks for the info.
    6 years. Congrats!
    T

11. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I love me some Caviar. A family friend, lets just say he worked for the state department from 1970 until he retired in 1996. He consults with business, helps them get into foreign countries. He was helping a company get caviar out of Iran. But the embargo made that business a no go. He gave me a case. I was in heaven.

12. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I hear Iran makes a good product...

max930 likes this.
  13. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nice score on the lemons!

One of my favorite dishes with Meyer lemons is baked chicken and sausage. Chicken thighs, Italian sausages (whole), thick sliced Meyer lemon, half an onion, French mustard (with the seeds), EVOO, other misc herbs. 425 for max of 1.25 hours, halfway thru turn them over so it all gets crispy and full of awesomeness.

I also like them raw in a salad, sliced, quartered, whatever. Little oil and vinegar. I’m getting hungry.

14. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Wow, this and the finished dish looks great. Congrats also. Your wine process sounds cool - I’d love to make wine and cheese. Science meets food and drink.

15. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I have a Meyer lemon tree I use to make Limoncello, among other things. I also confit a few jars of lemons a year for when I run out of fresh ones.

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Is "Gross Convalescent Hospital" still in Lodi? It really amazes me how some areas have come to the fore in CA winemaking

Things should really be cooling off, but I understand some parts of SJV will take last blast into 90s in the next week.

The way I always remembered the M's was going north by the hour - Madera, Merced, Modesto - 2nd letter A-E-O. If one were to bounce back and forth with Milpitas, it'd be E-I-E-I-O.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

tomc and BrettC like this.
  17. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

wax, tomc and BrettC like this.
  18. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    PureEuroM3 likes this.
  19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    No lettuce wraps?
    T
    P.s. How's the boss like her Levante?

20. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    BrettC, NbyNW and arizonaitalian like this.
  21. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Out of the picture! She loves it. Used to be mine- a GTS. Even though she drives like a grandmother she likes knowing it has giddyup whenever she needs it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    LOL :eek::p:D

"And in other news tonight, BrettC realized the dream of many, a world's first in fact, by pairing that finest of American inventions - the venerable Ritz Cracker - with fine caviar".

tomc, BrettC and NbyNW like this.
  23. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    When in Krakow, Ania's mom's pierogis are always a highlight...she made my favorite - Pierogis Ruskie (cheese and potato filled)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

PureEuroM3, tomc, BrettC and 2 others like this.
  24. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    We spent last week in the Baltic seaside resort of Sopot. Its a really nice area, with better-than-average hotels and restaurants for the country. I'll post a few of the meals here. The first late afternoon "dinner" was in a very cute little seaside outdoor place over-looking the beach and Baltic.

I started with a white fish soup with a fish sausage, and then had salmon over potato pancakes and spinach and dill. Yummy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

BrettC, Frank_C and NbyNW like this.
  25. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    The next night in Sopot, we went to a cute little courtyard Italian place. First, a disclaimer, non-Polish "ethnic" foods in Poland generally suck. There simply are not many immigrants there from many places, and thus the interpretations of other cuisines are usually pretty poor. This place, otoh, stood out among the usual places in the country. This food was fantastic and reasonably authentic (not perfectly, but reasonably).

We had;
    - Artichoke salad
    - Beef carpaccio
    - Grilled beef ribeye (far and away the best steak I've had in Europe - yup, better than any bisteca florentine I've had in Italy)
    - Pasta Carbonara (real guanciale, but I think they added some cream to the egg sauce)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc, BrettC, Frank_C and 1 other person like this.