Does Ferrari's warranty affect the campaigns? | FerrariChat

Does Ferrari's warranty affect the campaigns?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RedNeck, Oct 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I've been questioning the lack of campaigns that were "reserved" for my 360 as it is an early '99, more specifically, why my car was never called out for variator/tensioner replacement when the VIN fell squarely within the range of affected cars...so I was looking at the Modis printout, and all the work comes to a screeching halt in 2002, at the end of the car's initial 3 year warranty. The variator campaign came out in 2004, 2 years after my warranty had expired...so am I right to deduce that the campaigns fall inline with warranties?

I've had several other cars from other manufacturers that were way out of their warranty periods, but would still be serviceable by TSB's...would be crappy if Ferrari's were tied to their warranty.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #2 greyboxer, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Not sure of your question but about ten years ago (or more) in the UK Ferrari produced a list of cars with outstanding recalls - it covers cars with chassis numbers from about 50000 to 150000 so they were still chasing cars long out of warranty

Similarly look at the recent campaign worldwide for airbags - the cars whose owners they've been contacting are up to about ten years old so also well out of warranty

Call FNA if you want to check possible outstanding recalls

3. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    Recalls go forever until they're completed, the warranty is totally separate. Now, they could have done some shady stuff to exclude as many cars as possible to save money, but that's also another thing entirely.

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Recalls and TSB/Campaigns are 2 completely different things. One is government mandated, the other is basically a company trying to save face and customers. FNA doesn't have anything for my car, all campaigns have been completed. My question is whether Ferrari continues supporting their cars after the warranty period has expired..

5. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    #5 tstuli, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    What he said above.

With a campaign i believe theres no obligation. The only time you may have a reasonable reason is if say you paid for a repair during warranty that later became a campaign. In your case the variators didn't fail during warranty (and still haven't failed?) over the past 20 years so you may be out of luck.

Recalls are usually mandated and safety issues (that's why you still get airbag replacements for the Takata fiasco even though you may be out of warranty).

Of course they may choose to goodwill to keep you as a customer happy. But I sort of doubt they'd do this as preventative measure? But who knows without you asking....

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    This is what I figured, is that the campaign came after the warranty period, so the only answer I have ever gotten was that it didn't pertain to my car...I just wasn't sure the reason why. I'm already eating the cost so I don't expect Ferrari to do anything about it, just trying to understand the reasoning behind it when my car clearly fell within the VIN range of affected cars, but I keep being told by multiple sources that my car doesn't "qualify" for the campaign.

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'm a Honda technician, and can answer it from that perspective. Ferrari is probably similar.

A Recall is federally mandated - it must be done, with no expiration. This is usually a safety feature (ie, Takata airbags), but can also be something related to federal emission standards. Not trying to give a full list of categories, but you get the idea.

For Campaigns, it is something that may be wrong with the car - generally within a VIN range, but even cars within that VIN range may have no symptoms. And therefore, no action will be taken.

Real-world example: older Honda vans have a Campaign that applies to piston rings that were improperly installed at the factory. They prematurely allow oil to pass in places it shouldn't. Honda will replace the piston rings, provided your car is under 8 yrs old or under 80K miles - if, and only if, we (technicians) verify that the car suffers from bad piston rings. It must be brought to the shop by the customer complaining of a problem - we don't check every 2014 Honda van proactively.

If your Honda is at 81K miles, or 8 yrs and a month - even if you now have this problem, it is on the customer to pay for it... because it's not a Recall, it's a Campaign.

So, your Ferrari probably doesn't qualify because it's past a date that Ferrari offered replacement (if symptoms were present before the date/coverage expiration.)

RedNeck likes this.
  8. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Yup. It didn't qualify because it didn't fail within the warranty period. These TSBs are generally meant to give the dealers a heads up that "hey, if you see this, this is what probably happened and please follow these procedures so we can get the parts back for investigation, keep track of how many are failing, etc.". You're nearly two decades out of warranty now.

Again it can't hurt to ask them to help you out. I've found often mainstream manufacturers will goodwill (but never on a vehicle this old - maybe if it happened to be a few months to a year out of warranty). Ferrari, not so sure. Worse case they say no.

You may also be better off getting it fixed at a good independent if cost is a concern. At least you'll be getting your timing belt service out of it at the same time so factor that into the "true" cost.

thorn likes this.
  9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    That's pretty much what I figured. I'm already pulling the cams myself and send them off to get machined, I've already talked to dealers and FNA about it to no avail...just makes me wonder why nobody "professional" has been able to explain why my car didn't qualify for the campaign...even so far as suggesting NOT to replace the variators, because Ferrari would have made it a part of the campaign if it were a problem. Called BS and now I think I've figured out why.