F355 Market | Page 162 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    If the model proves accurate I’m hiring them IMMEDIATELY. ;)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    BTW BaT really dragging their feet on my listing. Agreed on September 17th, still no word on when it will actually go up.
    I am not really pleased as the good weather is fading.

3. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I am enjoying this thread but have no interest in supporting BaT with my dollars. I watch, ponder and am amazed but I am on other F chat threads where we agree BaT is bad news for Customer service, and communication. I hate the eternal dialogue on your car from peanut gallery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 and Robb like this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if its a good car its the peanut gallery that facilitates the price!

5. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I disagree. I believe 90% or more of the peanut gallery aren’t really bidding on any of the cars and are not buyers. They only cut down the car’s value and are not realistic and many times not even knowledgeable. I’m not a fan of the format but I won’t be auctioning with the big houses either.

Robb

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    You can believe what you like but your wrong. There is no other reason for bat cars to bring in more money than another venue.

7. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    well, while we are all disagreeing with each other lol, I will disagree with that statement.
    eBay has everything, AutoTrader has everything, bring a trailer only has special cars.

unlike other auctions, bring a trailer extends the auction two minutes for every bid. So there's no last minute sniping like on eBay. I think that is one of the crucial areas that allows bring a trailer to bring in more money

Robb likes this.
  8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    thats just not true. plenty of mediocre stuff on bat.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Here is my attitude to 355 prices. I bought my spider in 2013 for well under $60k with a fresh major and heads rebuild which I was able to monitor. I know what was done including all new valves and guides. Since then the only trip to a garage was for new tires. I have done all the annual stuff myself plus correct a few problems like CV boots, O2 sensors, a new MAF on one bank. The records under my ownership are receipts for parts and fluids and a few old part to verify replacement. If I were to sell it now, without a major (current one 8 seasons, 11k miles old) what would I get? To me, it doesn't matter. I could have spent $60k on a 2013 BMW M3 which today would be worth somewhere between $33k and $40k. I can't possibly do worse if I sold the 355. And if I sold it for $80k would that change my life? No. Buy, enjoy, dispose of. If you find one you can't live without, all the better. Same with women. :)

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

What I just don’t get about BAT is the lack of due dilligence, looks like ppl don’t even google the VIN to look if the car was for sale and how much it was for (based on comments)... also there seem to be a lot of bills early on from random people inflating the prices later on.
    I’ll admit, never bought a car at auction but I would think bidding towards the end is wiser than on day 1. But just my opinion.

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Its the opposite. Crowd sourced due dili

https://www.amazon.com/Superforecasting-Science-Prediction-Philip-Tetlock/dp/0804136718

tres55 likes this.
  12. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The anomalous component of BAT is having sideline morons cheering on the typically inexperienced bidders at the end. From there it becomes ****** measuring contest and these guys, swept up in the competition and voyeur’s hype, routinely overpay for cars.

13. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    But the cars don’t usually bring in more money. Just “a few examples ” do. And that’s because you get 2 bidders going at it. It only takes two determined bidders.

you don’t see 20 bidders going at it

look at all the Ferrari’s that sell below (or fail to sell) what you would see them advertised at on other ads or venues... it’s the majority of them. And it’s because of the peanut gallery.

do most Ferraris sell at higher prices there? The answer is no.

Robb

carnutdallas and BOKE like this.
  14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Quite a few do yes. And there are also a decent amount of head scratchers to the upside. Maybe i dont know the ferrari market lol

15. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Everyone is jumping into the online car auction game: Hemmings, Doug Demuro, B-J, etc, etc, etc.....

It is an interesting phenomenon. I have discussed selling cars at all the venues by email. I just don’t like the attitude of the faceless people on the other end of the IP address. Short. Lacking basic knowledge, curt and condescending about my property. From their perspective, we the property owners are irrational with our pricing goals and “market understanding” they are the holiest of experts and how dare we question their pricing ideology and strategies!

I have experienced that dialogue from all of them.

“Me: would love to expose my vehicle on your platform. I want to sell it for $xxxxx. I know my car and the market. Should do well.”
    Them: “Thank you for inquiring. We feel a no reserve auction would be best and let the market decide. If you want a reserve, our analysis recommends $xxxxx.”

I get frustrated and angry.... place for sale on eBay, CL and other traditional auto markets and get what I want, expect and no peanut gallery know it alls, who don’t own the cars. At least at a public auction on stage, you can see and touch the car. You may only be bidding against one guy, but you can see and talk to him afterwords. Maybe a phone bid, beats you but generally, they are in the venue with you. Anonymity online breeds a car environment that I am frankly tired of.

I bid on a car yesterday for grins at Demuro’s site. As the bidding went from reasonable to questionable, I stopped. It went maybe $200 more after I stopped. Reserve not met. I then got online on CL. Bought the same car with higher miles, but one owner, cleaner, no paint work and less than my opening bid on the auction site. Auction car had low miles, but multiple owners and a “story.” My new toy has no story - a great old American died - car sold by family to CARMAX, ends up at small lot in San Fran Area of CA and I buy.

I still think traditional marketing tools are better. I spoke to seller by voice and feel a better judge of character using that sense. Could ask questions without peanut gallery intervention and make a buying decision not pressured by time.

Just my thoughts. The high priced Ferrari stuff on BaT is an anomaly. Makes no sense to me. Just sold my 1986 911 28k Coupe I have had for years in Storage on eBay and got exactly what I wanted. Would not have happened on BaT

Cheers!

16. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    an environment in general, really...but that's probably another thread...

sjd

17. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    This is my 4th Ferrari (each one purchased with no intent to ever sell...)
    I have sold the other 3 on Fchat and done very well - not killed it, but fair prices for both parties - because the people here understand what is important.
    I admit I am hoping BaT will bring out people who don't know the cars as well and I may get a few extra bucks. We will see. The reserve is set a smidge lower than I would like, but I'll be OK if it sells at the minimum (still more than I paid for it...)
    But if it doesn't sell, I won't be too upset.

carnutdallas likes this.
  18. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I may start a new thread since this is the 355 market. I took delivery of my 2020 Corvette. So much room. So comfortable. Sooo much car for the money. My 355’s were awesome. At 6’4” they were tight. And slightly fragile - debatable I know. We all agree we love 355’s. Push different buttons and sounds. But the 2020 Vette is a game changer for me. Flappy paddles and all. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

BOKE, texasnoiz, 308 GTB and 4 others like this.
  19. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    texasnoiz and ShineKen like this.
  20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    355dreamer likes this.
  21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Robb likes this.
  22. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Where are all the good Berlinettas!?!?!?!?

texasnoiz and eyeman1234 like this.
  23. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Tucked away and enjoyed.

OCKlasse, phrogs, zstyle and 2 others like this.
  24. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Rob CarnutDallas the new car looks great- enjoy! I think you should start a car listing website and we'll use you instead of BAT. I'll go first...:)

carnutdallas likes this.
  25. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hahaha... Thanks Eyeman. I am just a dreamer with enough money to make stupid mistakes

Oz-ATL likes this.