Maserati Khamsin | Page 350 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Walter

Thanks for your hint. I found it interesting to see that the car was already silver (Argento) in 1995.

If it says TUV until Jan 1996, does that mean it was put on the road again in Jan 1994 after staying in the Sinsheim Museum?
    That would match the info, the car was in the museum since 1983 and for a total of 10 years.

So I assume the car changed hands more than once, first from Sinsheim to Meerbusch in 1993, then again in 1995 and eventually to Dr. O.M. in 1998
    as Marc recalled. Sorry if that sounds like flogging a dead horse.

But Walter, on another note, can you shed some light on the following cars / registrations?
    The first pic was taken in 2015 at carblast.de, for all of them I am not sure as to the VIN.

Thanks, Roger
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction and MK1044 like this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes I don't know these either, not in my designated folders and not in the unknown folder.
    Except the beautiful dark blue NE SF 30H has been seen at Schloss Dyck, photo below, and is or was owned by another Doctor: Alexander S. F. chassis number unknown.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rga likes this.
  3. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    rga likes this.
  4. Warburg

Warburg Rookie

Oct 27, 2013
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten
    Hi Mike and Art,

Thank you for video link and suggestion to check Viale Ciro Menotti.

Very much appreciated.

Thanks

Carsten

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Smart observation and likely true!

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    244 sold today by Nick Aaldering, remains in Holland. That was quick! I was not involved. I know nothing else.

7. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Yes that’s quick!

About the black Khamsin with the TIR plates: the result after a search for Bauer Wunnike (taken from the photo’s name) was that this car probably took part in the Regensburger Classic Rally in 2013 (see photo below with number 12 on the side of the car) and 2017 (photo below with number 5 on the side).

It is a 1977 Khamsin according to the list with results from the event.
    TIR is Tirschenreuth, this is (again) in Bavaria, south of Fichtelberg where the red car is in the museum.

The black car appears to have a light interior, might be fungo, so maybe this is #1240, after a repaint in black.

MK1044, rga and Nembo1777 like this.
  8. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi AMLC/Marc...

Is the K (1240?) in the above post a converted US car? I ask because
    of the side marker lights.. I ask as I didn't think the EU delivered cars had these
    rectangular lights...

Mike

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Mike, you are correct, US car.

10. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    That black K looks quite low.
    May have been lowered for rallying?

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    No, when the four rear springs shocks are worn and you accelerate hard it sits on its posterior like a lame constipated old dog:eek::D. Will post a shot of that tomorrow.

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    As promised: here is AM120US1100 in Barcelona a decade ago more or less, it was in poor condition, used almost as a beater, one photo accelerating, see how much it squats, compared to the photo where it is parked.

This car clearly had worn shocks and springs in the back. Since there are two of each per side at the rear there were many cases where deferred maintenance type owners changed the front ones but not the rear so you get a high nose stance, magnified under acceleration. A car with suspension in good condition will not squat anywhere near as much.

This car was since restored -yes with new springs and shocks:)- and Euro converted in Spain, was shown at Retromobile 3 or 4 years ago and is owned by a Parisian who emailed me a few weeks ago. Interestingly it was like 1168 and 1134 an American spec car that never went to the US and was instead sold in Europe by the factory with a kilometer speedo. This one was shown at the Barcelona show one year.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Thank you Marc for these interesting pictures and comments.
    I would have thought that having two springs/shocks per rear wheel, the Khamsin (with its IRS) would have had a very resilient stance of the back under wear, certainly more than in the front.
    Noticeably, that is a noticeable rear suspension reinforcement compared to the generation before (Ghibli and Indy) that only have one shock (and leafs spring...) per rear wheel.
    But maybe indeed, a sagging back is a sign of deferred maintenance of only the back compared to front.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    That is interesting that Meerbusch is mentioned in combination with a Khamsin, in this case #376.

Because on the number plate of the blue car below (VIN not known as mentioned by Roger in post #8726) is the name "Winkmann Classic Cars", a company in Meerbusch (https://www.facebook.com/WinkmannRacingClassicCars/).
    Don't know if there is a connection, maybe just coincidence.

rga likes this.
  15. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Congratulations to you for your eagle-eye!

The coincidence being, that Winkmann Racing Classic Cars is dealing in Maseratis and in particular Khamsins, maybe?
    In that case Marc should call them. :)

16. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I remember inspecting a white Khamsin at Forza in Connecticut, ca 1990, needing mechanical and cosmetic work. Asking US$17,000.
    That was market price back then.
    - Art
    (PS - A silver Espada needing less work but running poorly was offered by the Larz Andersen Museum ten years later, also asking US$17,000).

Nembo1777 likes this.
  17. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The Winkmann company is not a big player in the classic car world in Germany. They are selling the normal Bread n`Butter-cars in the market and not Maserati in particular. No idea how they came to this Khamsin and to whom they sold (?) it....

MK1044 likes this.
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8743 Nembo1777, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    Email sent to Winkmann, hoping for more luck than with the Japanese collector, the Austrian museum and the Bavarian museum...argh. Usually I always raise a reply but lately...frustrating.

Hooooooowever one photo had the blue K owners' name and I have found his office:)! But for now I will give the garage a chance to pass my email on to him.

19. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Anyone know a cross for the Bosch 0335200022 Flasher Relay in the Khamsin?

20. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  21. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
  22. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
  23. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    MK1044 likes this.
  24. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Have we ever discussed this early LHD car with white wall tyres?

It can be found in the May/June issues of Classic and Sportscar 2002

25. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Hello Roger, this is probably #106, see post #1343.

I didn´t know that it had been in the Netherlands.