Honda to quit F1 after 2021 season | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Honda to quit F1 after 2021 season

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This.

Sad.

Was exciting to see Honda enter the mix.

Will be interesting to see if they pull out of Indycar, or other racing series as well.

2. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Just heard Honda is committed to Indycar through 2023. 2.4L hybrid 900hp to be released.

375+ likes this.
  3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Interesting article and something I said 3 days ago, it makes perfect sense that RBR do a deal with Honda.

Ferrari will not supply RBR nor will Mercedes as they are there biggest threat to date. That leaves Renault, a hostile supplier given there past experience with the team & moreover possibly would like to relegate them to just a second rate supplied team.

Unless i am reading it differently I am amazed some journalists dont actually read the FIA rules on engine supply. All the current manufacturers comply with it.

Best

Tony

4. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Very cool. Hope this works out. However, I do wonder about how well a third party could pick up one of these engines and continue to develop it - especially with how tight all of the timing is for development, the strict rules, etc.

375+ likes this.
  5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I agree but all the hardwork in the first few years by Honda has been done. Its a good power plant and would be a shame to consign it to the dustbin.
    Tony

jpalmito and singletrack like this.
  6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Helmut Marko to #AMuS : "Max has a competitive engine in his contract. But that is also our premise. Without an engine that will make us fight for the championship, the project is not interesting for us."

Developing the Honda engine on their own would be difficult too: "We would need at least 50 new people for the hybrid part alone. Problems would already start in 2022. We would have to convert the engine to biofuel immediately. And we know how complex this technology is."

Helmut Marko admits that Renault has done a very good job on the engine side but: "When you go back to Renault, you get an engine that they build according to their needs. It is made for their chassis. That would be another compromise for us."

Helmut Marko on a new engine manufacturer entering: "For a period of only 4 years until the new regs, nobody wants to make such an effort. Everyone knows by now that you can't just be competitive right away. Hybrid technology is far too complicated and too costly for that"

Helmut Marko: "If we would bring a new engine reg earlier, it would be the best. But what interest would Mercedes have in changing anything? They have the optimal engine and they can use their advantage to drive completely different wing settings. They will be against it."

Helmut Marko: "Abiteboul probably does not know whether to be for or against it. Ferrari would most likely be for it. In case of doubt, there will be a vote. And with this idiotic unanimity, not much will change/happen."

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/helmut-marko-red-bull-honda-ausstieg-alternativen/?_gl=1*11wmywh*_ga*YW1wLVRRd2MyZWtTSnJKamJLQUVUTU9SQnc

singletrack likes this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Excellent Joe.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Also agree with that.

9. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    LOL - Marko with the bucket of truth. Sounds even worse when he says it vs. me thinking it.

375+ likes this.
  10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

No sympathy for RedBull or Marko. They designed a system to be dependent on the motor with no set provider to care only for them long term!

william likes this.
  11. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I'm actually quite happy this happend:

-To show the FIA how genuinely stupid and waste of money the current engine rules are.
    -A lesson to the Marko, Horner, and whoever in the Red Bull management to be humble, and not to take every opportunity they had to smash Renault in public.

jpalmito, DF1 and TonyL like this.
  12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

Remy Zero likes this.
  13. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Agree with this point.

Remy Zero, 375+ and Bas like this.
  14. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Sounds like they are having second thoughts. I can't blame them. FIA's engine formula has done nothing but send the cost of competing into outer space. Their new regs are shaping up to be as aimless as the old rules and no less expensive.

FIA are increasing ethanol content from 5.75% to 10%. Why? All this nonsense about trying to be green is like putting tits on a landmine.

15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    or mercedes and especially Ferrari :)

Remy Zero likes this.
  16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep.

But Renault deserved everything they got. Year after year of over promise and under delivering, lack of parts, lack of support, arrogant statements...

singletrack likes this.
  17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Blame the FIA instead for making the rules that make it prohibitively expensive, instead.

18. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    I always found RB's position strange on the matter, they don't want to build their own engine, but somehow act very childish because no engine manufacturer wants to build their engine according to their chassis. They want to have their cake and eat it too, without paying or cooking!

william and DF1 like this.
  19. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    To be fair, Honda have dropped RB on it. But that doesn’t surprise me. There is such an imbalance in PU with Merc being the only game in town. Ferrari are miles behind having been caught cheating. Renault are miles behind because, well, Renault. Honda have struggled from day one and after many years have ended up with a mid pack engine. It’s a total mess. The FIA need to get involved and sort this out. I’m surprised the team’s signed the new Concorde agreement when they must have known this disaster was about to happen. Farce.

Senna1994, TonyL and DF1 like this.
  20. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    If Ferrari, Honda, and Renault can't build a competitive engine, what makes you think Red Bull can?

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 agree with this

22. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Let's be fair hybrid tech has a limited shelf life, legislation will mean either ev or hydrogen will be the only route forward, so expect other manufacturers to bail in the medium to long term, f1 is on borrowed time probably being accelerated by Todt and the FIA

TonyL likes this.
  23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

F1 will survive, but we don't know how.
    There will still be an interest in a World Drivers Championship, but the unknown is under which technical rules.
    F1 will soon be at a crossroad with a choice between ICE with synthetic fuel or hydrogen with some hybrid, and total electric.
    The choice hasn't been made yet on the automotive market, so it would be premature to decide which way to go already.
    The ecolos will try to force electric power worldwide, but the proponents of synthetic fuels or hydrogen may fight back.
    Will synthetic fuel provide no emission? Will hydrogen be competitive price-wise? Those are the unknown.
    I don't think anyone is wiser, so blaming Todt and the FIA is not helping.

24. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Sorry William but Todt has been a disaster at the Helm of the FIA

375+ and TonyL like this.
  25. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Totally agree, Todt is a disaster (and all the others) and so is the FIA who seem to capitulate to political whims across the globe. They have taken this path for many years and now reap what they have sown.

It amazes me how people are put forward to these jobs who really have no skills in what they do, they may have been good a their job once upon a time but totally out of their depth outside that. The name seems to carry more weight than the knowledge.

As I have said before, F! is destined to be all electric and most top manufacturers around the world need to invest billions in this technology to stay ahead of the game. The ball is rolling and no one can stop it.

In my humble opinion for F! to survive, the business model needs to change substantially and that means making the rules, cars power plants and prize money distribution much simpler and fairer.

Tony

375+ likes this.