Maserati Khamsin | Page 349 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes it is and after communicating with Nick Aaldering and Fabio Collina this morning, I can confirm that, as I thought, 244 was NOT red new but dark blue! So much nicer.

It came to the Zurich area lunch I organized ten years ago with a local friend owner. Eight K's got together. 244 was in average condition then and it's owner Mr D. spent all day looking at every detail of some of the best in the world such as 232, 352, 246 and other good cars there and that motivated him to restore it very thoroughly. Still in red alas. Then he sold it via local dealer Koni Lutziger.

As you saw it now has the hood grilles red instead of black and bumpers red and black instead of silver and black. Apart of that it looks good.

2. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Looks very nice.
    Is it an EU specs or a US-converted one?
    There is no price indicated, certainly not cheap in such a good condition...

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    244. It means it is a Euro car. US cars are four number between 1000 and 1300+.

Example: this car is AM120-244.

My Monsterati was a US car: AM120US1242.

On another note I was just speaking to Campana Carrozzeria the official parts supplier in Modena and they have no space saver spare wheels for Khamsin/Merak and do not know if the wheel was used on a tractor. Next week I will canvass the old lambo tractor world in Italy to find out if the rumor is true. But now the wek is over and I have a nice and much needed massage waiting so ciao:)!

4. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Marc,
    Do you have photos of Matteo's Tractors outside of the building? Good place to start.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  6. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Carsten,
    Here is a good YouTube demonstration of Airflow tuning the Weber DCNFs... It's the first step to tuning the Webers. Airflow first, then mixture.

Med vennlig hilsen,
    - Art

MK1044 and 010 like this.
  7. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Carsten...

Something you may also want to get your hands on is Viale Ciro Menotti, Issue #42.. This is the magazine/
    periodical published by MIE/MCI.. I believe in issue #42 there is an article on 'Popping Back Through Carburetors'.

Perhaps it might be of some help...

Mike

71Satisfaction likes this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Good morning:

-Joe I wrote Matteo Panini, let's see what he comes up with.

Roger, thanks for those pics, I do not recognize that one, rings no bells and I compared with with the Japanese cars I have files on. Blue Ischia is almost mauve though, not like the old and new photos of that car which are not correct Khamsin shades of blue. Note they actually painted the chrome mirror...

9. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    The photo below is probably about 18 or 20 years old.
    Does anyone know if this is #376, the car that was destroyed in the fire in Duesseldorf (see post #158)?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello AMLC

I have never seen that plate. While it looks like a Dusseldorf plate (German readers please correct me if Dusseldorf plates would in fact be DUS) the details of the car, below as given me by Walter in 2008, do not match. Note it has the trunk retractable cover.

AM120.376

1981, l.-blue-metallic/black

sold new in Italy and first registered there June 11.,1981

later sold to Germany

1983-98 displayed in TECHNIKMUSEUM SINSHEIM -Sinsheim/D

1998 sold to owner in Duesseldorf/D

Nov. 11.,2000 with Dr. Oliver M. -Duesseldorf/D

Febr. 5.,2006 totally destroyed by a fire in the building of FANTASTISCHE SPORTWAGEN -Duesseldorf/D

11. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    If the owner's name was "Dr. Oliver M." then the plates, ending with OM2, may have been made for him?
    There appears to be a service at the Duesseldorf website for private plates ("Wunschkennzeichen").

Only the colour doesn't match then but maybe it was painted silver in Germany?

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    All valid theories but no certainty....unless someone else knows for sure.

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    If anyone can help need a close up photo of the rear euro tail lights on a Khamsin to see where the wires enter the housing.

14. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yes, its #376 that was destroyed later in a fire. Owner was Dr. Oliver M. from Düsseldorf/Germany. The photo was taken in Berlin in 2001 during the Int. Maserati Meeting, organized by the The German Maserati Club.

rga and AMLC like this.
  15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #376 had been repainted to silver at some time. But that happened before Dr.O.M. had bought it.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ahah great so that settles it.

17. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Setting up 3 or 4 DCNFs is a dream compared with 6 DCOEs on Lamborghini. So count your blessings. Due to the unbelievably easy accessibility of the plugs on the old V8s using a colortune is also quite easy. Bloody damn near impossible on a Lamborghini V12.
    I gave up on that. I have a small digital tach function on an old Radio Shack VOM and I use my ears and that to set idle mixtures. It works pretty well if the carbs are jetted properly. The alcohol that's now in the gas here caused me to make idle and accelerator jetting a bit richer on the DCOEs. It was impossible to get it to run properly WO that. So if you run into inexplicable problems get some help with it before you drive yourself nuts. There used to be a wonderful carb tuning forum on Yahoo groups but that's now closed. The guy who ran it was very good. He transitioned the website to Groups.io but it doesn't seem to be functioning anymore ... :( Perhaps he's gone somewhere else? He made a lot o9f specialize tools for carb setting/tuning too.

Even so as the DCNFs on these Maserati engines go through various phases of heating your near perfect settings under ideal conditions will slip somewhat as all that metal changes in length due to the heat. It's not FI but a lot of people think it should behave like FI. It won't.

Good luck and try to keep a fun thing.

18. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  19. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  21. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Marc

Looking at the color codes I found the car in Japan may be painted Blu Rivolta as shown in the pictures below
    (the Iso paint codes of Eurolac/Salchi are partly the same as for the Khamsin)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Modulo_B, MK1044 and Nembo1777 like this.
  22. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    AMLC likes this.
  23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Definitely an official dealer great to see it there. It looks really good and even though we have all seen seemingly countless shades of blue on K's, this one I have never seen. Amazing that more odd color names keep popping up.

24. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Tel.-areal code 2132 means the small city of Meerbusch next to Düsseldorf. Dr.O.M. lives not far way but I much doubt that he was the owner of the car when this advert was placed.

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Here is something I saw by chance this weekend. In the Dec/Jan 1998 issue of Sports Car International (a nice US magazine I used to write for which sadly is no longer published) at the back in small auction reports by Sports Car Market from the August 1997 Monterey Rick Cole auction: look at the price...!

That tells you how far in the wilderness, how forgotten, totally unknown unappreciated Khamsins were in the US, at the time.
    Of course a poor red paint -with rubber molding!- a worn interior automatic with the walrus tusk bumpers is about the worst spec for a runs and drives car you can imagine.

Prior history:

Owned by Motorcar Gallery May 13 1987 (bought from Mark Krohn in Lauderhill, FL) to September 23 1987 (sold to Glen Kalil of Palm city FL)

MCG stock#1259 bought from Patricia Kalil Dec 20 1988, sold 2/10/89 to Bob Sheehan Paramount studios, Los Angeles.

Then sold at 1997 Cole Myers Monterey auction.

The other photos are shot in front of the old Motorcar Gallery showroom. No idea what became of it after the auction.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Modulo_B and 71Satisfaction like this.