McLaren 765LT | Page 7 | FerrariChat

McLaren 765LT

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Thecadster, Mar 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Never. 720S? yes. LT? You'll be an old man waiting. From Copart? maybe. :p

2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    LOL.....said EVERY 675LT owner back in the day

More recently by most 600LT was owners.....sounds like a trend to those paying attention

Igor Ound, FLGT, amenasce and 2 others like this.
  3. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    yep, just like the stock market, never fight the trend, you’ll lose your shirt.

Igor Ound likes this.
  4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Have you seen how many 675LT are hovering around $200k and not selling with ridiculously low miles?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/824203177/overview/

You probably can drive away with this one for $190k. MSRP was $350k without any options..

Igor Ound, freshmeat and tomc like this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Not that it matters to me, as I buy and hold cars, but I tend to think the 765LT will be sturdier in the resale market than the 675LT was before it. I feel this way simply because there will not be a 875LT in this pure ICE format. The cars the car after it will not be of the same lineage. Instead they will be electrified. That will mean enough to enough people, for the overall value to stay more resilient. The 675T was bettered by another McLaren car in the same exact format, the 765LT won’t be. That distinction won’t be enough to keep it at MSRP in perpetuity, but it will likely prevent it from dropping 50% in 5 years.

BJK and ScrappyB like this.
  6. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    A financially struggling manufacturer who is already seeking a buyer for their own factory campus to stay liquid not churning out more cars on existing V8 power units and production lines for at least another decade? Mmmmkay then, no dream is ever too outlandish...

7. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Maybe, maybe not. I don’t see McLaren continuing to pursue ICE solutions in an electrified world. Indeed, between regulatory factors and competitive factors I think they’ll be forced to do the same.

8. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Maybe 99%
    Maybe not 1%

lol

9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Copy that. You have that super special inside information. Good to know. Do you prefer Bluestar Airlines of Anacott Steel...?

BJK likes this.
  10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel. :D

Thecadster and Face76 like this.
  11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    McLaren developed the P1 hybrid 8 years ago. They will have no problem going hybrid and eventually full electric. Battery tech is in the Model T days. No need to rush in using existing/old tech.
    570S hybrid successor has been testing for 1 or 2 years now. https://www.autoblog.com/2020/04/17/mclaren-hybrid-spied-570s-successor/

Thecadster likes this.
  12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Errr I’m talking full EV...

Igor Ound likes this.
  13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #163 BJK, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Errr, I know. : "They will have no problem going hybrid and eventually full electric. Battery tech is in the Model T days. No need to rush in using existing/old tech."

Maybe McLaren and other small manufacturers will/should just license the EV tech from Tesla, Lucid, or Rimac. These companies are far ahead when it comes to hardware and software. Avoid massive development costs.
    I mean, rivals Ford and GM share a 10 spd trans because development costs were so high. Just for a tranny! VW/Porsche and Koenigsegg are teaming with Rimac. Ford with Rivian, and GM with Nikola.
    It just makes sense when it comes to EV tech.

14. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #164 freshmeat, Sep 26, 2020
    Errr, hybrid doesn’t change the V8 power plant aka “existing tech”, they will continue to use it like they have been and keep rebodying/reskinning for as long as they can, exactly as you’ve cited w the P1.

This has been the McLaren plan to profitability since the beginning...so ya, that 765LT is going to be half off in the secondary market, as proven by 675/600LT market trends...

15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I must have been ambiguous earlier. Again, I don’t think McLaren will offer a pure ICE solution beyond the 765LT. The next Super Series LT car will be electrified (ICE combined with electric a la P1, SF90, etc). On that basis, the 765LT meaningfully differs from 675LT. That will matter to some. It matters to me. Just like the fact that my 812 is pre-GPF. That does not matter to all, but it matters to me. Battery technology and electric motors will quickly outrun tire technology. At some point, probably soon, this era of ICE, the one right before the dawn of electrification, will be considered the Golden Era, and the 765LT should enjoy a prominent position in that era.

BJK and ScrappyB like this.
  16. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Well said. We have similar views on this.

It’s true my 675LT has depreciated, but it’s such a good car that I forget/don’t care. I suspect the 765 will create a similar sentiment.

Also, I don’t believe nicely specced 675s will stay around the 200 mark for long. My dealer confirmed that there’s been a surge of recent interest in 675s. Take that for what you will.

Thecadster likes this.
  17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #167 freshmeat, Sep 26, 2020
    1% Maybe not. AND hybrid probably won’t happen until closer to 2030 for super or sports series.

The golden era is and will always be NA, for both road going cars and F1.

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    It matters to people like us but not to all owners. Those owners will drop the price to get out of it quick and then the rest follow immediately creating the dive angle. Most don't care enough to keep and sustain the free-fall.

19. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    If you want to wait long enough till the next hot thing is out, way not, i prefere to pick one up when new and hot, specced to my wishes, drive it and keep it, and buying the new model when out..

765lt dont go down as many wishes, last pure Ice, one of the fastest made ever..
    May depend from country, here in Switzerland 675lt went down around 20-30% in 5 years. Pista will be the same

ScrappyB likes this.
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Except its turbo, so already a little laggy and lacking in throttle precsion and linearity instead using elctronics to overcome the lack of precsion and fake throttle balance. If it were Na you might have stronger point.
    A hybrid using an electric flywheel and turbo Ice could have the throttle respsonse precison and linearity of a NA motor so in that regard it would simply be better and you'd still have the ICE noise component. However that presupposes a hybrid wont be a fat pig like the sf90.

Controll precsion is one of the joys to driving, many moderns have blanded that out in the quest for useability and metrics. Maclartens in my experience have precision in the steering wheel, but lack it elsewhere, although they do have amazing velocity, to the extent its useable .

I wouldnt buy any modern as an instant collectable/investment thats a false hype market.

Yes 30 years from now a 765 may be one of the last only ice powered cars, but as its performance will have been superceeded anyways maybe a speciale or Gt3 will be more valuable/investment as they are an experience no recent turbo can match.

My bet is going forwards there will be a point of diversion, there will be electrics which offer superior road car metrics and comfort and a niche for pure ice. These Ice cars will be free to be more focussed on performance/handling/weight/track endurance than current ice cars which straddle a broader Gt/sportscar line and always looking at acceleration and 1 lap metrics.

765 seems a very cool car though, Buy one and just enjoy it.

21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Can a hybrid be done WITHOUT it being a fat pig like the SF90? I have no doubts that the SF90 will be bonkers to drive, but the 0-124mph will likely be the same in the 765LT and it will do so while weighing 800lbs less. Surely, that weight penalty will create some unintended consequences. To further refine my point, I harbor no illusions as to any potential “instant collectible” status. If I want to make money, I pursue every asset class OTHER than cars. My point was simply that the 675LT and 765LT are different. The 765LT does everything the 675LT does, except it does it much better. I don’t think the 765LT will be surpassed by a future McLaren ICE variant. That makes the car special to me, and perhaps others as well. I think the car will be a rather poor “investment” overall, but probably better than what many might think.

22. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    The awd + instant electric torque + launch control and 'black magic' of torque vectoring put hybrids like the SF90 on another performance level for 'numbers' at least. Not a better driving experience tho.

Thecadster likes this.
  23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #173 boxerman, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Yes better “numbers” as you
    Imply mean little to someone who truly drives, esp if those numbers introduce all sorts of enjoyment compromises in terms of The experience. Many moderns compromise the Drive experience to make them everyday useable which functionally means bland controlls, even though they put out numbers.

all the sf90 means to me is theyre imitating and approaching electric “performance” on road. I say specifically On Road because no heavy car can really perform on track for more than a very few laps.

given that driving really fast on road is practically impossible a hyoercar is sort of ridiculous other than for drama and brief spurts of acceleration, unless of course said hyoercar can also perform on track sustainably all day. No electric can come close to that nor can any 4000lbs car
    Whether ice or hybrid, the tires won’t last long at that weight.

undoubtable the 765 like the senna will work
    On track, but I’ll posit a gt4 or gt3 will work better over a 2 day period,
    On track maclarens need lots of Dealer $$$ to keep going and maintain warranty which says something.

fun to drive on road at all speeds And works sustainably on Track, day after day that’s a code maclaren and many others has yet to crack.

The future of high speed driving is the track day and some backroads.thats a very different metric than just raw acceleration and lateral g’s

Thecadster likes this.
  24. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Why?

25. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal