McLaren 765LT | Page 6 | FerrariChat

McLaren 765LT

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Thecadster, Mar 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Thanks for all the feedback. My fellow online enthusiasts saved me from a rather boring spec. I’m grateful for the various ideas and suggestions.

So after much consternation, I think I am finally done. I am going with Chicane Effect, Nardo Orange Calipers, and Burnt Orange accents on Senna seats. It’s basically the Euro launch spec. It’s pricier than I wanted it to be, and much like my 812, I got a little crazy with the carbon. Ultimately, it’s just another forever car for me and decades from now, my kids can worry about the depreciation. I’m super excited. I think the car is going to be bananas. I missed out on getting a Pista allocation and I think this car will make up for that. Here are the options I chose that cost extra money:

$358,000 - Base MSRP
    $4,050 - Transport
    $5,430 - Elite Paint - Chicane Effect
    $24,140 - Exterior Carbon Fiber Pack 2
    $9,410 - Carbon Diffuser
    $1,820 - Stealth Pack
    $2,860 - Carbon Fiber Front Air Intakes
    $12,370 - MSO Rear Carbon Aero Bridge
    $7,580 - Super Lightweight Carbon Fiber Racing Seats (Touring)
    $3,030 - Alcantara with Black Stitching
    $8,470 - Double Glazed Engine Window
    $2,820 - Carbon Fiber Secondary Interior Components
    $390 - Homelink
    $3,370 - Carbon Sill
    $1,740 - 360 Degree Park Assist
    $1,700 - McLaren Track Telemetry with Lap Function and Three Cameras
    $260 - Lithium Ion Charger
    $700 - Branded Car Cover
    $480 - MSO Defined Key Color - Chicane

$448,620

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

KKevinKK, BJK, Face76 and 2 others like this.
  2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Thats a great spec. When do you think it will be delivered? I was just about to hit up Ryan and get a more firm date.

Thecadster likes this.
  3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Excellent! Glad you stayed with Chicane and (similar) orange accents like the 675LT and didn't go for the neon green. It will look great for decades.

Thecadster likes this.
  4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Sounds like it’s coming quick. Originally it was late Q1, but they are rushing me to get my spec done, so I wonder if it makes an appearance before year end. I guess the 765LT is the only production (albeit numbered) car they are building right now. It sure sounds like all the coupes are going to come through much faster than first thought. Personally, I am not in a rush. I need to build my car account back up, after a couple unplanned COVID purchases.

Gh21631 likes this.
  5. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Excellent spec!!!

95spiderman and Thecadster like this.
  6. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    So my LT rolls off the line next week. Smoked white with McLaren orange calipers. MrJWW recently posted a video that included a short clip of a 765 in that colour, however with blue calipers (looks incredible). He described the colour as similar to Porsche’s crayon/chalk but I know for a fact it is lighter since recently holding a sample against my chalk GT2RS. It is somewhere in between white and chalk. A screen grab from his video as well as applying my epic photoshop skills to add orange calipers. The car should arrive next month.

Journalist drives next week and press embargo lifts Sept 29th.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Gh21631, Thecadster and willcrook like this.
  7. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    nice.

does anyone have any figures on how much weight saving the optional extras give and whether that was included in the stated weight for the car vs a standard 720s

8. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I’m so excited that I go to sleep thinking about the 765LT, and when I wake up, I am still thinking about the 765LT.

ScrappyB, willcrook and Gh21631 like this.
  9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    look at pg.5 / post #113

10. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    they aren't the optional extras, they are standard with the car.

just wondering specifically about the even lighter racing seats and optional CF packs

11. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Initially I wasnt 100% sold but the more I see the pics of this car the more eager I become to get mine.

I'm already hearing people getting over MSRP as the demand is very strong.

Thecadster likes this.
  13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Miller just posted this...

Lucky people putting this in their garage...T

ScrappyB, Thecadster and Gh21631 like this.
  14. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK

intresting, so just 40kg lighter than a 720s with the optional light wheels if you spec back in the air con and info system and only 23kg lighter than a 720s which has the Senna seats (quite a few people have put these in) !

Thecadster likes this.
  15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The 720 is very light already so finding more weight reduction is no easy task. I think on average the 765 will be about 100lbs lighter than a 720.

Thecadster likes this.
  16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Unless I am reading it wrong, if you add back in both AC and radio, you go from 80kg less to 68.5kg less than the standard 720S. That 68.5kg, or 151lbs, is certainly a meaningful figure. Also, like @Gh21631 mentioned, the 720S is already quite light, and so for yet another 151lbs to be shed is proportionately higher than what 151lbs would be on a SF90. The 765LT is lighter than a Senna, with an ever so slightly detuned version of the same engine. It’s going to be complete madness in a road car.

ScrappyB, slm and Gh21631 like this.
  17. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Agreed. A perfect sendoff to the pure ICE generation of McLarens.

Thecadster likes this.
  18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That exposed carbon on the front splitter looks sick.

ScrappyB and Thecadster like this.
  20. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK

that's not how it works in reality. the 20+ kg saving from the wheels is compared to a normal 720 set of rims. the superlights (which most have) are the same weight.

carpet mats can be taken out of a standard 720s easily. A/C will be spec'd by everyone so isn't relevent, same with the 1.5kg satnav/etc which everyone will spec. leaving the following:

-18 kg seats
    -14.3 kg carbon fiber panels
    -3.8kg lithium battery
    -6kg lightweight glass
    -2.5kg cf door cards
    -1.5kg suspension

then adding +5kg for heavier brakes/fuel pump = 41kg difference, half of which is in the seats which can be put into a 720s with ease anyway

21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Understood. I guess we are both right. 151lbs less than a standard 720S. 90lbs less than a highly customized 720S (Senna seats and carpets removed).

22. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    That nakes carbon 765 looks awesome.

freshmeat likes this.
  23. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Here’s an incredibly insightful post made by Woozle on the McLaren board:

From McLaren’s point of view, the 765LT will have to carry the brand for the next couple of years. If it’s beaten by the SF90 then that’s going to look bad. No matter that the SF90 is much more money, it’s still a standard production car vs a Ltd edition. It’s also McLaren’s last pure ice car. There is not much point in their holding anything back. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s at least as powerful as a Senna - though they will never say so. The engine they say is developed further from the Senna - but has less power and peaks 250rpm higher up the rev range. That is an odd and backwards sort of development!

Tyres too have come a long way in three years. I don’t think enough attention is being focussed on the lowering of the final drive over the Senna and 720s. That’s a bold move on what is already a traction limited car and must mean they have found a lot more grip. I would expect Mclaren to have done some work on the launch control too, though they haven’t said so. There is a lot of sandbagging going on with this car. But If it gets beaten then that’s Mclaren beaten for the next couple of years so they won’t be holding back at all, this will be the best they can build.

I did speak to one of McLaren’s test drivers a while back who was developing it. He said it was a total monster.

BJK and slm like this.
  24. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #149 BJK, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Even if it is 'beaten', the cars will be night and day differences in 'driving experience' due to weight and power delivery. Track numbers are not the 'be-all and end-all'. But it is the only thing most people will focus on. :(
    They will be holding some back for the 785R ! :D You know McLaren will milk that cow for all it's worth! They have shown their 'road map'. coupe, spider, R - no surprises. ;)

Thecadster likes this.
  25. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    can't wait to pick up one of these at half price in the secondary market. total admiration to big whales going over the top on specs.