IMSA 2020 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

IMSA 2020

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RWatters, Dec 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    GrandAm at it's "We don't care about 'traditional" sports car fans" base was jealous of the crowd
    at Daytona last night.

BHW

2. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
  3. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Anyone know what Risi’s plans are for GTLM? I haven’t seen or heard much about them. I follow on Instagram and Twitter and seems quiet with them

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    They have accepted their entry to Le Mans which would make it impossible for them to run a few of the IMSA rounds. The last couple years they have only run a handful of events. Maybe we will see them at Petit and Sebring?

mdrums likes this.
  5. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I hope to see the. at Sebring...I will be there

Devilsolsi likes this.
  6. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    https://www.motorsport.com/imsa/news/acura-penske-split-2020-dpi/4841481/?ic_source=home-page-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-1

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Just bought tickets for the 6 hour race at Road Atlanta (man that sounds weird). I am not very confident that the event will happen or spectators will be allowed but I might as well try. Haven't been to a race track since the Daytona 24. I am going through withdraw.

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Should have posted these here. Photos from last week at Road America. They allowed humans by 1/3rd of the paddock and all of the track. A much needed race :) They have a sportscar race later this month that should be open to race fans again.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Manda racing and GuyIncognito like this.
  9. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Where’s the rain pictures?

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It rained on Sunday afternoon, and I went on a practice day. I guess you will have to wait for one of the Florida races for pop up downpour shots.

11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Not IMSA but another live sportscar event at Road America with spectators allowed !! At the rate things are going we may only have a handful with spectators around the country this year.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Why the reference to IMSA? It's the SCCA's series and RA is not affiliated with either (besides their running races at RA). The only sanctioning body I know of that has owned tracks is NASCAR.

13. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    to be fair, SRO doesn't have fans in the best of times either..

GuyIncognito likes this.
  14. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The AMG and the Mazdas were running really low. Both were showering sparks throughout the esses. Eventually I will finish editing my photos.

15. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
  16. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Given that MSR runs 2 GTD cars, I wonder if they will run 2 DPis or just one.

17. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    We shall see. They are building up 2 new cars for MSR and WTR and the Penske cars are going back to Acura, so it sounds like there are 2 other cars available.

18. Aaaaahhhh. I was just going by the article....."Wayne Taylor Racing and Meyer Shank Racing will run Acura ARX-05 prototypes in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship next year, with the two single-car programs taking over from Acura Team Penske in the DPi class.

19. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Funtastic race weekend at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course! :D Went down late Thursday, really enjoyed Friday's "practice day." Weather was sunny and 70's all 3 days, crowd limited to 6,000 spectators so with my infield parking pass felt like I had the run of the place. Wifey flagged all 3 days - at 1B, 3 (start station on back straight), and 12 (Carousel) respectively. My usual viewing location is the viewing mound overlooking Madness - the esses - with great view of the end of the long straight into turn 4 (China Beach) + turns 5 and 6. A few low-res photos:

^^ GS cars at start of Saturday's Mid Ohio 120 IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge. Note KohR Motorsports Aston Martin (Nate Stacy and Kyle Marcelli) on pole. Turn 4 with China Beach on right.

^^ Race Two on Sunday - view from turn five looking back to four and China Beach - Stacy/Marcelli in lead. Won both races!

^^ Acura DPi # 6 of Dane Cameron and JP Montoya on Sunday's main bout recon lap.

^^ C8R of Garcia and Taylor.

^^ Acura DPi rounding turn 13 into front straight late in Sunday's Acura Sports Car Challenge - IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.

F1tommy and GuyIncognito like this.
  20. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    IMSA needs to move Mid-Ohio to this time of year permanently. Fantastic weather, lighting and actual color on trees.

There was a lot of on track action through the weekend. 3 GT3 Cup races, 2 for Michelin Pilot Challenge, 2 MX5 cup plus Prototype Challenge and WeatherTech. I am exhausted lol.

Sorry for the very compressed photo below.

alum04org and F1tommy like this.
  21. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Also should mention, GTLM really can't survive with just 4 cars. The Corvettes raced each other pretty hard but other than that, I sorta forgot GTLM was even there with how good DPi and GTD were.

22. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Mazda announced they will only field one DPi next season.