car design thread | Page 427 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    So there I was this morning eating my cereal and reading the WSJ, and there is an article on the launch of the Wagoneer. Into the article it states a loaded Wagoneer will sell for $100K! :eek: I had to reread that several times before it sank in.
    $100K!
    A Jeep Wagoneer! Seriously?
    That's in serious money territory.
    What will be interesting is the battle for share against the Escalade/Lincoln/RR/LR, etc.
    Stay tuned on this one.

of2worlds and tritone like this.
  2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    There has been very little information leaked on this new car coming. My pals at FCA tell me this is going to be a winner.
    We'll see.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    09.09.2020. Our new era.
    [​IMG]
    Dear John,
    [​IMG]
    Everything has been leading to this. The Maserati new era World Premiere will be held on September 9, 2020.
    [​IMG]
    Live streaming direct from Modena, we take you into the future. Our bold new era which starts with the much-anticipated unveiling of the Maserati MC20. Our new super sports car. This is the most exclusive event on the Maserati calendar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GO TO THE
    COUNTDOWN

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    #MaseratiMMXX
    [​IMG]
    Please note that the event will be available only in English, Spanish, Italian, Korean and Japanese.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login [​IMG] Image Unavailable, Please Login [​IMG] Image Unavailable, Please Login [​IMG] Image Unavailable, Please Login [​IMG] Image Unavailable, Please Login [​IMG] Image Unavailable, Please Login
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    © 2020. Maserati North America, Inc.
    [​IMG]

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The photos that have been leaked look very good, but the company is way behind introducing the Ghibli, Gran Turismo and Quattroporte replacements, so let's release a halo low production car :) I love the Italians because of this. We get a great new toy with a carbon fiber tub, and let the Germans have the real car markets :)

of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  4. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner

$100K? I hadn't heard that yet, but if, and it's a BIG if with FCA, they can keep quality at a high level I don't think they'll have much trouble moving these in reasonable numbers the first year. Of course I would hope that they're planing to step up production on these s-l-o-w-l-y to insure that they don't screw up the level of finish required in this segment.
    Still lots of questions here.
    What is the basis for this beast? RAM? Hmmm....
    Will be interesting to see how the Peugeot merger will affect things at FCA. Daimler marriage & divorce doesn't inspire confidence.

As you say, stay tuned -

BTW, what are your preliminary thoughts on the design?

tritone and jm2 like this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    As my usual disclaimer, i need to see it in the tin to really know. BUT:
    Overall it looks like a competent execution. Nothing really new here, but SUV designs are usually problematic design problems.
    It does look like the belt-line is lower than the competition, which I think customers will appreciate.
    Interesting execution of the '7 port' grille. It's a tidy execution, and yet from a distance, not the boldest thing we've seen of late.
    They kept the Jeep trademark wheel-arches. Good!
    The rear, not much to say. It's another tidy execution.
    The individual window shapes with the 2-tone is rather nice I think, and it separates itself from the sea of competitors.

So: Overall a good solid B from me.
    Nothing controversial. They have a great deal riding on this product, and they didn't want to screw it up. Will that be enough to get Escalade, Range Rover, Lexus, BMW, MB owners out of their current rides? A definite, we'll see.

In the words of one of my close peeps: " it doesn't suck". And today, that's probably a compliment.
    FCA HQ is not far from my home so I'm anxious to see company cars driving around. Once you see a design in traffic, you get a better sense of proportion and detailing.

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    $100k jeep? no way.
    remember when lexus first hit the market? they stole the mercedes reputation for quality and luxury at a very good price. then lexus became as expensive as merc. who is buying lexus today because i never see any on the road.
    jeep needs to beat mercedes like lexus did but hold the quality and price advantage.

7. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    When I saw the "dark" image of the front end my first impression was Hummer S2, but I really pleased someone is making an effort to kill the whale shark syndrome.
    Getting back to your earlier post on the shock of a $100K price; I remind you that it's not very difficult to get a Wrangler Unlimited to $60K+...

jm2 likes this.
  8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Now there's a ringing endorsement! :D From my perspective however, it DOES suck!:eek:
    I don't think RangeRover has anything worry about yet.......it will sell, but not in any important numbers. Maybe to the "flavor of the month" types.....

NB: way back! in 1988 I bought a new waggy with all the few options available; $32K out the door.......(and far better looking!)

Check back in 3 years; maybe I'll have drunk the koolaid by then......

of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    These days, it would seem anything that 'doesn't suck' is a step in the right direction. ;)

boxerman, anunakki and tritone like this.
  10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Looks to be a beautifully executed design, if somewhat “conservative” or predictable as a mid-engined car. But certainly nicer than any Maserati since the Pininfarina designed GT.

Love the arc of the A-pillar/roof-line in the DLO.

11. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Following the recent discussions on the Allante and Harry Bradley... how about a critique of said Allante by none other than Bradley:

Tenney, anunakki, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Now you’re talkin’

ingegnere likes this.
  13. Zee gla

Zee gla Rookie

Mar 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Svetozar Gladic
    Please please please help me. I have ferrari 360 and the F1 pump goes bad every 3-4 months. What can I do to fix it? Thank you

14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john

tritone, energy88 and ingegnere like this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Boomhauer, boxerman, tritone and 2 others like this.
  17. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I test drove a $48k Kia Telluride and I just cant imagine this Wagoneer brings enough to justify a 100% premium over the Telluride.

Boomhauer, of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Not sure about the timeline of all these models but certainly one of the 2 (or 3) Uracco concepts was used as the basis of the 308 GT4, although it underwent a lot of detail refinements.

Originally they were trying to adapt the Carabo concept but that didn't go too far, but it looks like the design of the nose carried on to production:

Subsequent concepts were and X1/9 / Runabout influenced design which was ultimately refined to the final design with, among other things, addition of louvers to the rear quarters to "lighten" the look:

The other concept is the closest to the 308 GT4, especially at the rear. It still has the Carabo-type nose and is closer to final design.

The flat flanks, with only a horizontal crease below mid-height of the doors seems to have carried on to the 308 GT4 prototype stage...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

... but was ultimately reworked along the cross section of the Stratos, I my opinion, than any other design.

ModernLou, anunakki, jm2 and 2 others like this.
  19. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    tritone, ingegnere and jm2 like this.
  20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Great story there on the design progress and of course the other 'influences' of the period. Influences can be difficult to really grasp without a good handle on the bigger picture of what else was going on design wise...

ingegnere likes this.
  21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Very cool, thanks.

ingegnere likes this.
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    tritone and ingegnere like this.
  23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    One of my very best designer friends at the time had an X/19 then bought a GT4.
    Management wasn't amused.;)

ingegnere and of2worlds like this.
  24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john

Bronco Design

25. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ