FORMULA 1 ROLEX BELGIAN GRAND PRIX-->RACE▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 9 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ROLEX BELGIAN GRAND PRIX-->RACE▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Aug 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    There is competition, it is just that the competitors are in cars that are fundamentally slower.
    It is the stupid "no testing rule" that has destroyed the ability of the other teams from reaching the front of the grid.

Would you rather have the IRL trick where passing is essentially mandatory?

william likes this.
  2. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    The problems at Ferrari all boil down to leadership. If a team is spending the amount of money they do, with the vast array of talent they have, it's down to decision making. Who's ideas get promoted, what chances are taken, where focus is placed, how reward is given. They have a culture problem - it all starts with leadership setting the right tone for expectations and progress. If your leadership position is that there's nothing you can do for two years (which they've said publicly) then you will certainly not improve before then.

jpalmito and william like this.
  3. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    No other purpose to this comment other than trolling, is there?

Bas likes this.
  4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    If stating a fact means trolling to you, you should perhaps check the definition. :rolleyes:

Don't blame me if Ferrari is in meltdown ! ;)

5. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    There is no leadership full stop at Ferrari, road car division included, who is actually running the show at least with Montezemolo and Macrchionne there was someone in charge calling the shots.

6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    No leadership? What does Elkann do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Elkann

Given the FIA "settlement" and subsequent restriction of engine development, what do you expect them to do?? I'm speaking specifically about F1.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/28805702/fia-reaches-settlement-ferrari-following-engine-investigation

7. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Having a leader in place is very different than having a leader who sets the right culture. Every company has leaders - some succeed while others don't. The majority of the difference (IMHO :)) comes down to culture. It's hard to know exactly what's going on behind closed doors, but statements in the open like we need two years to win, those kinds of statements are killers for motivation. Remember, Ferrari spends more than any other team in F1, they have the resources, the talent & capacity to win. Perhaps the wrong people are being listened to.

jpalmito, Giallo 550 and william like this.
  8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    They should have built a better engine last year without cheating. Simple as that.

Instead they built an illegal engine and got caught. Had do detune it to the point that it has now much less power than the competition. They did that to themselves, which is why there is not much empathy for them from other teams or from the press. Just look around and read the Euro press.

Ferrari 308 GTB, subirg and william like this.
  9. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Should have last year? (Thats for tifoso12) Thanks for 20/20 hindsight. The question is what can current leadership or even a change in leadership do now? Do you finally realize why they said don't expect a change until 2020? They are LOCKED INTO AN AGREEMENT!

10. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
  11. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    #211 cairns, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Feel that same way and I had tickets for Holland as well. Planning on the Australian GP (combined with the Americas Cup) next March. Funny I don't remember all this whining when Schumacher was dominant and Rubens was the front marker without balls.

You don't like it don't watch it and don't show up. But I guess some of you would rather watch- race after race- and then whine about it incessantly. Like you're going to change anything.....

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Ferrari seem to have made "a rod for their own back", by the look of it.
    Then refuse to say what, but now they have to accept the consequences.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Did you actually have regular grandstand tickets? Were you one of the lucky ones who literally won the lottery and was assigned a ticket? Or did you buy it on the second market? Just curious.
    Mine was for the Paddock, where all you needed was $ to get one. Unlike the situation in the grandstands.

So true. Then again this is FERRARI chat therefore some bias can be expected.

14. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Right. So whay are people saying that management is lacking when they say they can't improve until 2022? It's part of the secret agreement that's not really very secret, is it? So Binotto, Elkann and anybody in-between are correct when they say they cannot improve until 2022 because that is part of the agreement. Sucks, but true.

The extra sad part here is that it would have only been one year of torture but because of the pandemic it is now two.

An equally sad part is that even if F1/FIA said that they could go ahead and develop their current engine, legally of course, they may not want to. They may have thrown in the towel and are pouring all their resources into the "new rules" 2022 machine.

So this is my last rant on the subject as long as nobody asks why aren't they "working harder" on the current car. I'm pretty sure they're doing all they can with the words of the "agreement".

william, jpalmito and DF1 like this.
  15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I wouldnt take to much notice of what Horner says, a consumate team leader and i wish he was at Ferrari, but he does like to stick the boot in to the bloke on the ground. Could of won is somewhat different to would of won.

Locked into an agreement which they signed up to was a fundamental mistake by the SF team and they know it having learnt they have a donkey to try and morph into a racehorse. :-(

william likes this.
  16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Would make the most sense given the limitations imposed by the 'agreement'.

william likes this.
  17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The engine is one thing, but the whole car is a disaster that's not bound to any agreement - Ferrari not able to outperform the Haas and Alfa Romeo which suffer from the same "downgraded" engine (as far as I understand) is not very encouraging regarding the way Ferrari spends its (significantly) higher budget.

jpalmito likes this.
  18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Very good points.

Add to that poor driver management and poor pit strategy.

Indeed the downfall has many reasons, just blaming it on the engine freeze would be not seeing the whole picture.

DF1 and william like this.
  19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    You probably would have heard if you weren't in the Ferrari.Chat F1 News Group.
    I actually did hear exactly this kind of doom and gloom from die hard F1 fans who happened to own Ferraris.

20. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I don't really understand the finger pointing between the "it's the car" guys and the "it's the strategy" guys. They are BOTH equally awful. The only difference is that the strategists have been awful for far longer than the car has been.

kes7u likes this.
  21. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Maybe. But strategy is of little consequence when the engine can't get out of it's own way.

22. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    100% correct.

23. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yeah no doubt, but it's not just the engine. The car itself is steaming garbage. You know Ferrari's in bad shape when Vettel is the second best thing about it. Leclerc is arguably the best thing about it.

24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Circumstance did not help with pandemic timing. Testing was shown that the car was weak. Added downforce over last season was waiting for power, but that was removed by FIA restrictions on the PU. New rules to allow for same chassis for next year's F1 were bad timing for Ferrari. Now limited modifications for Ferrari. How will the 10% downforce reduction change all this is next.

https://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/tombazis-10-downforce-reduction-for-2021/

Giallo 550 likes this.
  25. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    After SF had such a horrendous showing at Spa, l am going to pass every Mercedes l see in my 458 Spider. :D

TSOYBELIS likes this.