Dating Certificate for imported vehicle | FerrariChat

Dating Certificate for imported vehicle

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Fezzer, Aug 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fezzer

Fezzer Rookie

Jul 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    The one
    Greetings all

Hoping I can pick someone's brain who's imported a Ferrari into the UK.

I've recently imported a Ferrari F430 from Dubai to the UK, and do not have the original non-UK registration document. This means applying for a 'date certificate' from the manufacturer or other acceptable source... What would be considered an acceptable source?

Thankfully the car is over 10 years old so I don't need to apply for a certificate of conformity.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    No personal experience, but won't the warranty card suffice - it was supplied by the manufacturer and stated the date the car was supplied?

3. Fezzer

Fezzer Rookie

Jul 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    The one
    No warranty card I'm afraid. Also, whatever gets sent to the dvla doesn't get returned.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Only DVLA can tell you an acceptable source and they probably won't commit til the papers are in front of them for approval butt there's a hint here under supporting documents https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/registering-an-imported-vehicle

Try asking a main dealer to look up the chassis no on Modis (or whatever it is now called) ?

That should give the date and then they could maybe sign something - try service dept not sales

5. Mamich

Mamich Karting

Mar 29, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Zed
    Hi Fezzer

All you need is an export certificate from Dubai and then you will need to book the car for an IVA test which basically make sure it’s road legal in the UK such things as adjusting the headlight, speedo into MPH and not KMH and the brake light are the correct colour etc. The IVA test will also include the MOT and then the garage that does the IVA test will register the car with DVLA but be warned it’s costly as there are only a few official IVA Centers around and it can cost from £1,500 to £3,000.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Fezzer

Fezzer Rookie

Jul 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    The one
    @Ziad El-Akabi
    Thanks for the info. The only issue with the Dubai export certificate is that it states the year - not the month. As the car is 2009, it's over 10 years old I wouldn't have to do an IVA check - just an MOT.

7. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I had exactly this problem a few years ago when I bought my 360 back from Dubai into the UK...

It took 6 months and the personal intervention of the Head of Ferrari Northern Europe before the DVLA finally re-registered the car correctly, even now an information search on my plate still show Jan 01 2001 as the registration date.

I've advised so many people over the years, the RTA in Dubai will put the exact date on the export cert if you ask them, but they cannot re-issue a cert once issued as the car immediately drops off their system once the export cert is issued.

8. derekmines

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Oh, and as you correctly note there is no IVA required, I don't know where your car began its life but as mine was in Japan it actually had the rear fog lights and the LHD/RHD adjustable headlights already fitted so I simply needed the MOT and away I went (I did choose to have a Lockwood dial kit fitted to convert the speedo to MPH though)

9. Fezzer

Fezzer Rookie

Jul 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    The one
    With the Japanese cars I've noticed there's a zero on the chassis number for year identification. Did this cause any issues? Mine started off in Oman, was purchased from Dubai. There's a rear fog lamp and the headlights are (thankfully) adjustable. The speedo includes kph and mph so will probably keep as is.

I'm going to try and get a dating certificate from a reputable source (figuring the more reputable the more £££:confused:) The thing is I have the VIP pack with dates of manufacture and there's a metal plaque on the body where the door closes with the month and year (May 2009).

10. derekmines

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    So this is an excerpt from the reply that my importer (I used an official company to import rather than doing it privately) got from the DVLA when they were advised that the incorrect date was used:

"You would need to provide proof to the DVLA of the date of first registration by way of manufacturer letter or government official documentation. These are the only documents the DVLA can accept."

Service manuals, plaques on the car, sworn statements, none of these were acceptable (I had them too) literally the only things that the DVLA will accept are a letter from the manufacturer (even then they had to have an original, signed one, a scan wasn't enough) or official documentation from Dubai.

I cannot overstate how much of a ball-ache it was getting this sorted.

11. Fezzer

Fezzer Rookie

Jul 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    The one
    Did you go through the main dealer for your letter?

12. derekmines

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    My local dealer were less than no help, even Al Tayer in Dubai weren't interested.
    In the end, someone gave me a contact at Maranello Concessionaires and she went waaaay above and beyond for me, it's really thanks to her it was sorted.

13. Fezzer

Fezzer Rookie

Jul 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    The one
    I spoke to HR Owen and Maranello (Graypaul didn't get back to me). So i need to get the car to them. They need to take pictures and send them off to Ferrari HQ. A letter appears from Italy and I'm 500 plus labour out of pocket. But atleast I'm getting to a resolution.

14. Amir Akhtar

Amir Akhtar Rookie

Feb 2, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Amir Akhtar
    How did you get on with this?

I’m currently doing the same ( F430 from DXB to U.K. ). IVA Completed/passed and just waiting my V5 Doc, however that seems to be taking months to obtain at the moment which I’m putting down to the slowdown from the pandemic.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. Fezzer

Fezzer Rookie

Jul 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    The one
    I'm still waiting. I have been in touch with the DVLA and they are aware of my paperwork (I'm assuming you sent via registered mail as well). I'd give the dvla a call on Monday morning, they are pleasant over the phone - the number I called: 0300 790 6802.

Amir Akhtar likes this.
  16. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    I import Japanese cars as a sideline / Hobby
    DVLA currently taking about 4 weeks assuming no paperwork errors.
    Was as bad as 10 during depths of lockdown, used to be about 2.

17. derekmines

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Don't say that Martin, I'll be hitting you up for an Evo 4/5/6 lol

18. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
  19. derekmines

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Don't think I've ever seen a 530 with Alcantara seats... that looks seriously tasty.

20. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    Sold to trade!
    Expect it back on the market at an inflated price soon!

21. josewick

josewick Rookie

Sep 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Josewick
    Sorry to dig up and old post but did this ever get resolved? I am on the same boat and is struggling to obtain a dating letter confirming the Date / Month of manufacture for DVLA to register the vehicle.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Regards

J

22. revolutionf355

revolutionf355 Karting

Apr 2, 2007
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    W
    Same here i need to decode my vin on my F430 to know the month of production.
    Any one know how? Its from Japan

23. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    None knows how to decode the vin to give month of production as they do not contain that data

Sent from my I3312 using FerrariChat.com mobile app